PDA

View Full Version : Moving from cable to satellite, need help ?

Saltire
24th June, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ok, before i kick off this topic, i know that the normal response would be to say "go read the forums etc mate". but iam trying to avoid that situation if possible as its bad enough having to give up my cable tv and broadband etc without having to learn everything about satellite too :(

So, Iam thinking about possibly buying the stuff and paying a sat guy to fit it as again its bad enough going through the process of moving house etc without also having the headache of working out how to fit sat system etc.

As far as iam aware iam best with a motorised 1.2 meter sat dish and all the other stuff to get all the channels such as sky and setanta and smut etc etc, but thats all i know. (for free i mean of course)

So, question is, what exactly do i want/need ?? I dont want to pay mad money for top of range stuff and i dont want to pay bottom of the range money that will mean its crap iam buying, just middle of the range stuff that will do the job is all iam after, dont need nuffin fancy or nuffin like that, dont need hard drives built in etc etc either, nuffin like those things, just summit that does what iam lookin for.

appreciate all help and suggestions guys :)

(no wheres them paracetamol and beer,lol)

p.s
the dish would have to be going on a floor stand up the back of the garden probably bolted to two 4x2 slabs i guess is best ?? i cant touch the building to attach it that way and i wouldnt want to anyway with a large dish like that.

thommo
24th June, 2008, 09:04 PM
forget the whole thing if you think your getting sky and setanta, you wont....unless you pay for subs or go down the other route we dont talk about.

btw you didnt just sell a 500c on ebay did you lol.

Saltire
24th June, 2008, 09:30 PM
forget the whole thing if you think your getting sky and setanta, you wont....unless you pay for subs or go down the other route we dont talk about.

btw you didnt just sell a 500c on ebay did you lol.

nah mate, not me, still got all my cable stuff here, but we cant talk about that, can we, ermmm cough cough, what a ~~~~in laugh.

i dont want to cardshare if thats what your on about, ok, if no one wants to help then thats ok man, i will ask elsewhere, ffs.

thommo
24th June, 2008, 09:47 PM
your posts been on less than an hour, what do you want instant replies. personally i thought i did help as there was no point going through everything with you if you thought you'd get sky and setanta.

i dont think the ffs attitude will get you any replies now so i'll close the thread. if you want to do another a some point and leave it more than an hour you may get results or i will re open it at your request if you wish.

give it time mate, threads open but a little patience is needed, you be ok and get it sorted trust me.

if you have checked your pm, theres something in there for you.

Devilfish
24th June, 2008, 11:04 PM
If you're not willing to learn anything about it then what's the point in me replying with worthwhile information?

Sky is not free...anywhere!

mark015
24th June, 2008, 11:36 PM
If you're not willing to learn anything about it then what's the point in me replying with worthwhile information?

how can u learn anything if ur not allowed to talk about it .thommo says we cant talk about it so wats that all about ?

Saltire
24th June, 2008, 11:41 PM

i didnt say iam not willing to learn, but not straight away, thats what i says, its bad enough having to move home and also give up cable tv after all these years into digibox's and modems etc then having to learn something totally new, i would rather have a great bit of help to get me up and running with sat as easy as possible,, then i can at my leasure learn as i go along, see what iam saying now ?? basically i dont want to have hassle, i want it sorted more or less instantly then i can work on learning whats what, i aint daft, just cant be bothered with the hassle at this moment in time, iam sure someone knows what i mean, more important things to do when moving home than having to figure out the full school of motorised sat sytems within weeks, know what i mean ?

p.s
i thought sky italia or summit was done ??? wouldnt that give sky sports and setanta ?

Devilfish
24th June, 2008, 11:54 PM
how can u learn anything if ur not allowed to talk about it .thommo says we cant talk about it so wats that all about ?

There's nowhere on the forum that says cardsharing discussion is banned, only discussions involving Sky UK is against the rules. There's even a tutorial in the download section.

Digital Kaos - Downloads - CCcamd Card Sharing Tutorial (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=78)

To be honest, it's not the sort of thing that you can do quickly and learn later on. Maybe someone can setup a box for you and give you it but chances are the keys will change the very next day and you'll be fcuked. With satellite you always need more than a little bit of knowledge about it, you're dead in the water without it.

Femalelizzard
25th June, 2008, 12:05 AM
If you have cable in the street where your moving to why dont you just connect that straight away so you arnt missing anything and order your self a moto dish and reciver etc.

cable is like lego compared to sat im sure even with help you wouldnt get sorted instantly probably take a good week of reading setting up and learning the ins and out

thats why ive always avoided sat if possible i love cable as i have a iq of 6

thats 6 cans of stella lol

serious connect your cable and plod on with the sat on the side till your sorted im curious how much do you think youd pay for someone to set you up straight away i bet youd get a canny old labour bill and pay over the odds for your stuff aswell

thommo
25th June, 2008, 12:06 AM

yes just to add cardsharing isnt rule breaking but the post in question was referring to sky hence my reply the thing we cant talk about, meaning the two together.

and i think the learning reply from devilfish was refering to setting and learning about the sat setup and day to day running of one and not learning about c/s.

Femalelizzard
25th June, 2008, 12:16 AM
yes just to add cardsharing isnt rule breaking but the post in question was referring to sky hence my reply the thing we cant talk about, meaning the two together.

and i think the learning reply from devilfish was refering to setting and learning about the sat setup and day to day running of one and not learning about c/s.

nice touch on your avator and sig thommo ive said goodbye to a few of my buddies in the past im on my 3rd bullmastiff now dont wait to long to get another good owners are hard to come by these days

mark015
25th June, 2008, 12:18 AM

ok fair enough i understand about sky/uk.but is sky italia not hacked and if it is then is that alowed to be spoken about,i`m interested on the sat scene myself now,only because of the new 500 box thats available now the sat/cable one and as devil says keys keep changing all the time so wil they be made available to us wen required ,as there no point setting up if the ryt help and info is not availble and i am willing to learn no doubt about that..

Devilfish
25th June, 2008, 12:20 AM
To my knowledge, Sky Italia is not hacked. I've been out the scene for a fair few months now but I would have noticed if it was hacked and I don't think it is.

And Setanta is not available on Sky Italia either.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pack-skyitalia.php

thommo
25th June, 2008, 12:24 AM
nope it isnt, the most recent i know of was digital alb which shows the footy,

as far as im aware there no sky packages available from any country.

the only thing to learn about at the min with out going into card sharing is how to set up your system and whats available with keys or a patch. but until you have the system setup theres no point going in to keys and patches as its info overload.

where not hiding anything or trying to be difficult but theres no point giving advice before the person knows what they will or wont get hence my first post in this thread. had he come back and said " oh i didnt know" we could have taken it from there. there would be no point in going into it all if after finding out he couldnt get sky he didnt want to go through with it.

oh and lizzard i have another we didnt leave it long the house was empty so we went and got another staffy but a pup. still miss the other one though.

Curious123
25th June, 2008, 11:40 AM
What you need to do if you are noob to satellite is to stop thinking S*y but think of content provided by S*y and that is available in bigger and better form from several rival providers on the continent. As fas as keys files hacks google is your best friend.

Saltire
25th June, 2008, 09:23 PM
ok, so what am i lookin at here then chaps to buy, iam in south glasgow, so ive heard i need a 1.2mtr size dish to kick off with, its obviously needs to be motorised and i need a floor mount/stand that screws/bolts to ground that can handle a 1.2mtr dish and the motor too.

Other than that i guess i also need a half decent reciever that will do the the job, not too expensive not too cheap, also a decent LNB for the said dish, ohh, and i guess i need a cam/card (i think), ermmm, is that it, lol ??? maybe one of the meters too ? phewwwwww, lol, i think maybe thats the lot apart from the coax and bolts, hmmm.

Curious123
25th June, 2008, 09:50 PM
I have a 1m motorised dish stuck on top of 15' scaffolding pole connected by a 20m cable to a DM500S all for a princely sum of ?200.

Femalelizzard
25th June, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have a 1m motorised dish stuck on top of 15' scaffolding pole connected by a 20m cable to a DM500S all for a princely sum of ?200.

Now im getting curious about this carry on set up for ?200 sounds intresting

Saltire
25th June, 2008, 10:32 PM

yea what area you in mate ?? and do you need cams/cards etc to get the premium channels from germany and italy etc for the british football and all that ?

p.s
the dreambox 500s is discontinued, no ??

Curious123
25th June, 2008, 10:41 PM
I am in the midlands, you don't have to have a hardware cam as the software cams will decode most of the stuff. You may want double check what is permissable in your area ref dish sizes as some parts of the country require planning permission for 1.2m dish. A Dm500 will do the job but a DM600 would be so much better in fact looking at one of the ebay threads I am very tempted to flog my Dm500 for one of the clone Dm600. The Dm500 were discontinued last year and now you can only buy clones but the clones work just as well I know because I have one of my own.

Saltire
25th June, 2008, 10:50 PM
I am in the midlands, you don't have to have a hardware cam as the software cams will decode most of the stuff. You may want double check what is permissable in your area ref dish sizes as some parts of the country require planning permission for 1.2m dish. A Dm500 will do the job but a DM600 would be so much better in fact looking at one of the ebay threads I am very tempted to flog my Dm500 for one of the clone Dm600.

yea mate, up here we need a 1.1 or preferably 1.2mtr dish to get decent picture iam told. i can remember in years gone by i bought an lnb kit and put it on the old sky dish's (80cm) so that i could get astra and eutelsat, it worked but not very well, most channels were not too bad but some were snowy etc and the slightest bit of crappy weather loads of channels were barely viewable, so i guess the 80-90cm dish's are a no-no in glasgow if your wanting to recieve some good shit.
Good to hear about the dream 500 and 600, and softcams etc, but like what do you get mate, do you get all em channels that show the british football and the hardcore smut etc with just using the softcams etc ???

Curious123
25th June, 2008, 11:03 PM
Check out the packages on the satellite link for satellites between 71W to 71E. Why go out and buy a cam when you may get by without one.

LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite (http://www.lyngsat.com/)

Saltire
26th June, 2008, 02:57 AM
Just thought of summit, is it not possible for me just to wip out the cable tuner out of my current dreambox 500c and stick a 500 sat tuner in it and thats me got a sat receiver ??

i would imagine one of you would have already told me if i could have, but worth asking ?

aftermath
26th June, 2008, 09:15 AM
Just thought of summit, is it not possible for me just to wip out the cable tuner out of my current dreambox 500c and stick a 500 sat tuner in it and thats me got a sat receiver ??

i would imagine one of you would have already told me if i could have, but worth asking ?

No..its not a plug and play box, and even if you could why pay about ?40 for a tuner when you could get a 2nd hand 500s for that much.

napster
26th June, 2008, 09:17 AM

you never change m8 :(

Saltire
26th June, 2008, 02:28 PM
No..its not a plug and play box, and even if you could why pay about ?40 for a tuner when you could get a 2nd hand 500s for that much.

ohh well, was worth asking anyway, just that i seen the tuners on the satstore site and thought it might have been possible just to change the tuner over to a satellite tuner and flash the box up with a sat image etc etc, but its a "no", ohh well, back to the drawing board so to speak, lol.

ohh, i notice you say "buy a 500s for that much", ohh, are they that cheap, i didnt know, ? ye but are they any good for the purpose iam wanting, thats the thing ?

aftermath
26th June, 2008, 02:33 PM
ohh well, was worth asking anyway, just that i seen the tuners on the satstore site and thought it might have been possible just to change the tuner over to a satellite tuner and flash the box up with a sat image etc etc, but its a "no", ohh well, back to the drawing board so to speak, lol.

even if you could change tunersm do you think your capable of unsoldering all the connections to free the tuner and to re solder the new one in.

Thats why newer boxes are going towards plug and play ones now, just like inserting a memory card in a PC.

why not go for the open media, and have the best of both worlds at flick of a switch. ?

Curious123
26th June, 2008, 03:04 PM
It is like everything else in life you get what you pay for m8. The DM500 is a cheap and cheerful box and it gets the job done. If you want the little frills than you need to spend a little bit extra. I am seriously thinking of flogging my clone Dm500 on fleabay even though it works perfectly but I fancy having a clone Dm600 so I can record directly to the hard drive rather than to a network share or possibly a Dm800 with HD though that is a bit pointless as I don't have a HD tv. Once you go with sat you won't bother yourself with cable. @aftermath as satellite noob of two weeks will you be losing sleep if the CC switch off the cable boxes?

dvdman
26th June, 2008, 08:35 PM
sat is bettet in the long run

<--dvdman added 0 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...-->

go for a mota lot better

sherlock
27th June, 2008, 08:32 AM
Ok, before i kick off this topic, i know that the normal response would be to say "go read the forums etc mate". but iam trying to avoid that situation if possible as its bad enough having to give up my cable tv and broadband etc without having to learn everything about satellite too :(

So, Iam thinking about possibly buying the stuff and paying a sat guy to fit it as again its bad enough going through the process of moving house etc without also having the headache of working out how to fit sat system etc.

As far as iam aware iam best with a motorised 1.2 meter sat dish and all the other stuff to get all the channels such as sky and setanta and smut etc etc, but thats all i know. (for free i mean of course)

So, question is, what exactly do i want/need ?? I dont want to pay mad money for top of range stuff and i dont want to pay bottom of the range money that will mean its crap iam buying, just middle of the range stuff that will do the job is all iam after, dont need nuffin fancy or nuffin like that, dont need hard drives built in etc etc either, nuffin like those things, just summit that does what iam lookin for.

appreciate all help and suggestions guys :)

(no wheres them paracetamol and beer,lol)

p.s
the dish would have to be going on a floor stand up the back of the garden probably bolted to two 4x2 slabs i guess is best ?? i cant touch the building to attach it that way and i wouldnt want to anyway with a large dish like that.

there are sevral options depending on budget for satalite tv (boxes) If u still have cable then i would suggest the dreambox 600 as u can change tunner, these are plugin, and if u use barry allen can boot from sevral images, Stored on hard drive.
I have.

Then you also have the technomate (very good box and lots support) All so the itgate box again lots support and uses hyper cam.

Cams are dependant on wat u want to watch, but some of the patched boxes have downloads for settings available.

Hope you find the above usefull.

Neil
27th June, 2008, 10:27 AM

I don't have to pay to watch Sky in my local pub, well except for the beer which I would buy anyway :)

michael.110141
12th November, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have a igate 220 with a cable tunner, if i put a S*Y tunner into it will it work in my home as soon as i plug it in.

reason I ask is I dont want to spen money and then find out I need to get keys, reflash or any tec thins.

I have basic S*y package.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ramjet
12th November, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have a igate 220 with a cable tunner, if i put a S*Y tunner into it will it work in my home as soon as i plug it in.

reason I ask is I dont want to spen money and then find out I need to get keys, reflash or any tec thins.

I have basic S*y package.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

it will need reflashing , and channels and keys adding , and it will only give you freesat not sly ( as it is it doesnt decode any scrambled channels )

a10974809
12th November, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks a lot my friend