PDA

View Full Version : Strange - 'No Signal on Skybox V7 when Sky+HD box hdmi is unplugged from TV!

deibhinn
22nd April, 2015, 09:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a very strange one for you! I have a Skybox V7 and a Sky+HD box both connected to a quad LNB. Everything was working fine until recently, when a problem appeared. I have a hdmi over cat5 extender which I use to send signal to the bedroom. When I unplug the hdmi cable which is connecting the Sky+HD box from the tv in the living room, I get a 'no signal' error on my Skybox! Is this something to do to with powering the LNB? All the connections on the Skybox are correct.

Any Ideas how to fix this?

digicon
22nd April, 2015, 10:08 AM
Should not be a problem all HDMI's are powered in some way or another perhaps its either getting a surge which is knocking it out or some power loss

deibhinn
22nd April, 2015, 11:49 AM
Should not be a problem all HDMI's are powered in some way or another perhaps its either getting a surge which is knocking it out or some power loss

Thanks for the reply,

But as the hdmi is connected to the Sky+HD box and not the V7, it souldn't cause any issues on the V7?

digicon
22nd April, 2015, 02:23 PM
I know these types of receiver are susceptible to any type of interference or Power/Surge/outage even slight, are your Cat5E extenders powered or the passive type that take 2 cable runs.

It could be power from either the HDMI into TV and then re-surge back to the v7, Just to re-iterate that all HDMI Boards/Connectors are powered in some way and if disconnecting either from source or display both items should be powered off before any disconnection

deibhinn
22nd April, 2015, 02:27 PM
I know these types of receiver are susceptible to any type of interference or Power/Surge/outage even slight, are your Cat5E extenders powered or the passive type that take 2 cable runs.

It could be power from either the HDMI into TV and then re-surge back to the v7, Just to re-iterate that all HDMI Boards/Connectors are powered in some way and if disconnecting either from source or display both items should be powered off before any disconnection

thanks for the imput - the extenders are powered on the receiving end. I dunno, It seems very odd behaviour

digicon
22nd April, 2015, 02:42 PM
thanks for the imput - the extenders are powered on the receiving end. I dunno, It seems very odd behaviour

Sounds very much like some form of power outage on the receiver as they are both plugged into the HDMI board on the TV so an equal amount of voltage to power 2 devices from the board once 1 is disconnected the TV board may lower voltage as it now only needs to power one device and so the V7 does not like it, another possibility is having both connected to the same Quad LNB V7 and official receiver i assume you have read the horror stories about missing channels when used with official box.

as the LNB needs power and so does HDMI it seems strange that your getting this behaviour now or could just be coincidence

deibhinn
23rd April, 2015, 09:19 AM
Sounds very much like some form of power outage on the receiver as they are both plugged into the HDMI board on the TV so an equal amount of voltage to power 2 devices from the board once 1 is disconnected the TV board may lower voltage as it now only needs to power one device and so the V7 does not like it, another possibility is having both connected to the same Quad LNB V7 and official receiver i assume you have read the horror stories about missing channels when used with official box.

as the LNB needs power and so does HDMI it seems strange that your getting this behaviour now or could just be coincidence

I played around with it a bit last night and it seems you were right - switching both boxes off before removing the hdmi cable did the trick!