PDA

View Full Version : dreambox 7020 and virus,worms,trojans...

joe2feet
22nd July, 2009, 05:43 PM
If the Dreambox 7020 is a satellite box as well as a computer,:hmmmm2: is it possible to scan the said article for virus,worms,trojans... or have you got to scan the software before you put it in the Dreambox7020?

portbhoy
22nd July, 2009, 05:45 PM
Mmmmm never thought of it like that, linux systems are a pretty virus free zone anyway but yeh I would think a scan before it went on the box would be the thing to do ;)

on_the_jazz
22nd July, 2009, 05:49 PM
There are no virus checker type plugins. I've never even heard of a virus for these types of boxes. As long as you used a legit image and haven't been running unknown scripts on your box given to you by random people I wouldn't worry.

joe2feet
23rd July, 2009, 11:01 AM
portbhoy and on_the_jazz

Both many thanks for your replies. It seems rather strange to me that as the dreambox is advertised as a satellite recewiver and a computer that they cannot be affected as ordinary computers can.

joe2feet:hmmmm2:Download:

prive
23rd July, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Joe

DM7020 is merely an advanced set top box (simply put) and the claim of computer is utter rubbish.

Also as it rightly pointed the Image running on most dreamboxes are linux kernel (customized) and hence there is no question of virus, worms or trojans

However, you do have time bombs (but thats basically becoz of the image downloaded from untrust sources)

[QUOTE=joe2feet;237969]portbhoy and on_the_jazz

Both many thanks for your replies. It seems rather strange to me that as the dreambox is advertised as a satellite recewiver and a computer that they cannot be affected as ordinary computers can.

joe2feet
24th July, 2009, 08:11 AM
prive

Many thanks for your informative and interesting reply to my email.

Is it possible for you to elaborate on the concept of "time bombs"

and on the difference between trusted compared to untrusted

sites.

joe2feet:hmmmm2:

prive
24th July, 2009, 10:47 AM
@Joe2Feet

time bomb are codes inserted into the FLASH images of dreambox.

Time bomb will kill all the clone version of dreamboxes.

Compare these with virus on computers.

if you have understood the above, you will be understand whats the difference in downloading the flash images from a trusted and non-trusted sources

hope it clarifies your query.

Buzz me if you need anythign further

whitelite
21st November, 2009, 08:48 PM
so can you send a virus to a dream box over the air waves

opsmonkey
21st November, 2009, 08:58 PM
No.. it needs to be written into the image code then directly uploaded to the box..