PDA

View Full Version : ANTI DOG BARKING COLLARS, BEST ONES ?

Saltire
19th May, 2015, 11:02 PM
As the title suggests, what's the best "ANTI DOG BARKING COLLARS" to buy ?

For those of you who don't know me, I have excellent gardens (very large and very well kept and expensively kept pristine too).

For mega years I have been bothered constantly with Cats and Foxes etc messing up my lawns and flower beds etc.

I tried every trick in the book to stop it happening and nothing works, so I always said I will eventually buy myself another wee doggy which I have done.

I made sure that it is a breed that does the job perfectly, I wont mention the exact breed, but lets say its classed as a small to medium sized breed and
originally was bred to hunt anything basically.

Anyways, at the grand young age of just "2 months 21 days" it has now started to do the job properly, but it wont shut the heck up now, LOL.

I really need to try and get this sorted, not to totally stop, but to be slightly controlled or the neighbours may moan a bit and I wouldn't like that happen either if they had doggies doing same thing etc, so I need to get it sorted slightly.

Anyways, I know there are two types of special collars you can purchase, I have heard the cheap ones are a complete waste of money, so that leaves me
the options of the expensive ones.

Far as I am aware you can get ones that the collar detects the level and amount of barks and then will automatically spray the dog in the face with a citrus/lemon
type vapour which they don't like seemingly, don't know if it works though ?

And also, as far as I am aware you can get ones that the collar detects the level and amount of barks etc and then will automatically give the dog a little nip (its just a wee electric shock) they say in no way does it harm the dog and is not thought to be cruel in any way etc.

So I really need to get one fast man as this could potentially be a problem and I aint getting rid of the dog either, no chance.

The good ones are expensive, your talking ?100 to ?150 etc, but hey, if that's what it takes then that's what it takes, cant do anything about that.

I was wondering, does anyone have any experience with any of these things please ??

I found one that looks like its getting a really good write up, but there again, we all know that reviews and write-ups etc can sometimes be a load of rubbish, I just don't know as its something I have never had or wanted to do in my life although I have owned dogs at various times etc.

Hope some people have some knowledge on this thanks :)

http://aboutdogshockcollars.com/review-garmin-barklimiter-deluxe-dog-collar/

Meat-Head
19th May, 2015, 11:12 PM
What about an electric fence unit, strap that to the dawg

WOODWARD395
19th May, 2015, 11:14 PM
None at all teach your dog the bark and quite command you will find he will stop barking.
The shock collars you mention have been baned in Wales and the Kennel Club and RSPCA are trying to get them banned in the whole of the UK.
A shock collar has been proven to cause sychological problems in dogs.
Go on you tube there are great videos on training your puppy and go to puppy class's. at your local dog training school.
What area do you live I might know a good dog trainer behaviourist in your area you will get a much better balanced dog without it.

Saltire
19th May, 2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks meaty lol and Its cool woodward395 mate thanks, if push comes to shove we will do that (or she will I should say, lol), we know of classes etc, but I also heard that the types of collars I mention are "defo not cruel at all" as ye said they were mate, seemingly anything of the sort infact (so I read anyways), the main problem we have is that our gardens are massive and there is no way on earth that you could get close enough to the dog to teach it the anti bark commands etc like you suggest, when I say large gardens I mean possibly nearly the size of a small 5 a side football pitch man, and that's just one garden.

Strange thing is that it seems quite comfortable not to bark when on the lead and walking around out in the street or on the lead in the garden too, just wants to get right after the cats and foxes etc soon as its loose in the gardens, that's ok, but not late night barking.

Anyways, I still dunno, hmmmm, the dog is only doing what it is paid (in treats and food) to work for naturally and it enjoys doing, that's all, it doesn't know any better, apart from that the wee guy is amazing man, for a dog at 2 months 21 days it has much more intelligence than dogs maybe a few years old believe it or not, so its doing not too bad, I touch wood for luck when I say that :)

p.s
its been crate/cage trained since we got it too, loves his wee bed in his cage, and its nearly about 95% house trained too apart from chewing things, lol, which he gets a swift slap on the nose and the NO command screamed at it each time for, takes patience, lol

p.p.s
the wee man will be getting neutered at exactly 6 months old, they say that takes quite a bit of the boisterousness out of them too but not all, so that will be in about just over 3 months time.

Meat-Head
20th May, 2015, 07:33 AM
Just a thought, true story, approx 1970/80's. woman lived in apartment block woman gave the bell boy ?5 to take her dawg for a crap.

one day it was raining so he took the took into the basement, and kicked it untill it crapped.

then after time he ended up just opening basement door, for the dawg to go to basement and crap easiest ?5 /day he ever earned.

ifred
20th May, 2015, 08:31 AM
Suggestion put the dawg collar on Meaty and let him out in the field to teach the dawg the bark and quite command!
additionally you could sell tickets on DK forum for seats at the teach Meaty sit and beg displays :rofl:

PS putting one of those collars might be cruel for a dog but is okay for Meaty (no risk of sychological problems) ask any forum member. Kailpo is excluded (He would want the collar on HIMself!!!!)

gaz306
20th May, 2015, 09:38 AM
Suggestion put the dawg collar on Meaty and let him out in the field to teach the dawg the bark and quite command!
additionally you could sell tickets on DK forum for seats at the teach Meaty sit and beg displays :rofl:

PS putting one of those collars might be cruel for a dog but is okay for Meaty (no risk of sychological problems) ask any forum member. Kailpo is excluded (He would want the collar on HIMself!!!!) Probably get more sense out of the dog than out of bone head

GastonJ
20th May, 2015, 02:51 PM
You mean anti barking collar for a dog surely? an anti dog barking collar would be something entirely different, though that might just be me being picky :) Why would you want something that stopped the dog exercising it's voice. You bought the dog to do what dogs do, eat, sleep, sh*t, p*ss, chase other animals and bark and it seems inhumane to now electrocute it every time it does that thing which you bought it for.

rds60h
20th May, 2015, 04:08 PM
Saltire, you say about giving your dog treats for doing his job right when you let him out into the garden, which is probably the best way to train him, unfortunately he is barking while he does his job and his treat means that the barking is needed to get his reward.
You say he doesn't bark on the lead, perhaps you need to take him out into the garden on his lead to "do his job" and you can reward him when he hasn't barked.
I have tried one of the "shock" collars before on my dog and would never use it again, believe me they do feel the pain and it is not nice to watch.
My dog is a rescue dog who had been badly abused and had his jaw and most of his ribs broken (probably by kicking), he has certainly be taught to hunt and by the way he curls up to sleep in a corner and is terrified of thunder and lightening, must have been kept outside and taught to bark when anyone approached.
So someone only has to step on the path to approach the door and he goes absolutely mental, it does get annoying at times but I would rather put up with it than use that shock collar again. He is an older dog and it is proving hard to stop him barking at the door but we have managed to reduce the barking by ignoring him and when he finally calms down and is "normal" again he gets a treat. With the exception of someone approaching the house or meeting other dogs (he is only small but he will go for other dogs no matter what size) he is obedient in every other way. He is great off the lead and comes back as soon as he is told, if he sees another dog approaching he looks at us and waits to get called back and put on his lead.

Saltire
21st May, 2015, 01:14 AM
cheers guys, rds60h, it seems to be just wanting to bark when you open the door late at night (dark-o-clock) and then it runs out and goes mental barking etc, that would be perfectly fine but the neighbours usually sleep with windows open etc, so that's not good, I would not like that happen if it was them doing the same thing (vice-versa), during the day light hours though it shuts up pretty easy, its as if at night it knows there are cats/foxes lurking around, I know they can sense and smell these things, but to have to get up out of bed every night and take it out in the garden with the lead on just to get it to shut up would be a bit of a no-no, thankfully for now (touch wood for luck), it sleeps most of the dark hours, so its not too bad, but if that was to continue into the dark winter nights again then it would drive me and everyone mental man.

Meat-Head
21st May, 2015, 08:00 AM
As it is only 3 months old, is there no warranty or can you reflash via USB to stop it barking

ifred
21st May, 2015, 07:08 PM
If you worried about neighbours sleeping with windows open.
Solution 1. How about putting your bed in garden, no need get up in night for dog, dog wouldn't be barking just licking your collars all night.
Solution 2. Chain meaty in your garden at night no sensible dawg would bark or pee on him at night!
Solution 3. Dress Meaty up in female dawg costume, dawg would howl instead of bark at night (Sorry relies he only baby its dangle bits ain't dropped yet.)

gaz306
21st May, 2015, 07:23 PM
If you worried about neighbours sleeping with windows open.
Solution 1. How about putting your bed in garden, no need get up in night for dog, dog wouldn't be barking just licking your collars all night.
Solution 2. Chain meaty in your garden at night no sensible dawg would bark or pee on him at night!
Solution 3. Dress Meaty up in female dawg costume, dawg would howl instead of bark at night (Sorry relies he only baby its dangle bits ain't dropped yet.)

I hear he likes to dress up at weekends anyway , but that's another story

Saltire
22nd May, 2015, 01:12 AM
lol lol lol , ohh well, at least I get a wee laugh in here man, hehehehe :)

yes ifred mate, I guess you mean the pups bits aint dropped yet rather than meaty's ? LOL, but yea, he's getting neutered anyway on the day it reaches 6 months old which wont be long now really, doesn't stop him from humping the leg though, lol, strange that init ? at that age (2 months 24 days) they don't even know what its for but they still do it, hehehehe....

Yea, they say the sooner the better they get neutered, earliest time to do is 6 months though, I can only guess that that's so the dog wont really miss it if it really hasn't had the chance to get used to it, bit of a shame, but all the professionals say its by far the best way to take away some or a lot of the Boisterousness of male doggies, well hopefully, lol.