PDA

View Full Version : f'ing 3 red lights

smirnoff_rules
26th June, 2008, 06:05 PM
well looks like mine needs to go back .. cant be arsed to change the f/w back to original , lets hope l get a benq drive lol or a sammy
thing is once it starts to work its fine for days ?

might have to wait till it gets worse ? or does it matter

fishy123
29th June, 2008, 12:58 AM
u r lucky you have the option to send it back :)
mines banned and i fixed mine with the xclamp kit off fleebay, only been a month but all is fine for now.
hope they dont put one of the new drives in yours that is not flashable yet.

thommo
29th June, 2008, 12:58 PM
is it eally worth sending back these days esp when its flashed? think of how much money you saved on games,

personally id chuck it on ebay even red ring one fetch money as people buy them for the xlamp fix, then id go out and but a core. use your old hard drive and flash it and be back online in no time.

my old arguement, people say flash and be banned from live, so what if i get 6 mnths online and loads of games that normally cost 40 quid then i get banned or it breaks (rrod) i only have to spend 150 quid to buy a new one, 150 quid is what 4 odd games retail price.

if i have to spnd 150 every six months its better than 40 quid every week when a game comes out.

smirf either xclamp it, or bung it on fleabay...infact if you wanted to upgrade you can buy the elite black console only no leads pads hd ect for 140 quid on ebay from a seller ive seen them a few times.

smirnoff_rules
29th June, 2008, 02:17 PM
is he selling then modded then ? the new cores have the onlite drive and cant be modded as yet

thommo
29th June, 2008, 02:31 PM
no but you know how to flash a drive...or just clamp the one you have.

different guy but hes selling the elite console only egay Item number: 370063996735

smirnoff_rules
29th June, 2008, 03:28 PM
l still cant under stand why its working ? from wot lv read once they stop thats it ? been working for days . started first think this morning again ?

might still send it off and then sell it if the disc drive is a sod .. or by a sammy of the net for 20 quid

thommo
29th June, 2008, 03:42 PM
its the solder m8, they use lead free crap and when it gets too hot it cracks, hence why its intermittent, it contracts and expands, thats why the towel trick and hairdryer trick work as its supposed to melt the solder back, rarely works for long, not looked a an xclamp but i presume its the same sort of thing.

once there goosed get rid as it will come back at some point.

my 360 had the hitachi drive and wouldnt play half my games i got a sammy off ebay and spoofed it in the one i have now and its bang on.

once this one dies (to date ive never had one die on me) i'll get an elite with hdmi.

smirnoff_rules
29th June, 2008, 03:46 PM
wot the difference m8 . mine have a hd lead to tv , u just slide the button on the lead from tv to hd ..r hdmi that much better

just ordered a x clamp fix .. as its only playing up now and again if i repair it now it might run longer ?

Dowie
30th June, 2008, 10:38 AM
Well I bought one from fleabay with 4 red lights (AV Unplugged haha), for ?45 i was gonna mod it(AV Unplugged haha), was playing GTA4 last night on my normal one and bang 3 red lights!! Typical just when you think theres a bargain!! Phoned Microsoft they said send it back!! They also gave me 1 month free on Live and 90 warranty! I was well suprised!

Dowie

C64
30th June, 2008, 07:43 PM
Guess who just got home with a brand new Premium and opened it to find a ~~~~ing piece of shit Lite-On drive :(

@ Smirnoff, sorry to hear about your box mate, you've had that a while haven't you?

smirnoff_rules
30th June, 2008, 10:02 PM
thats a bstard m8 .. mines been fine for a week now .. not sure wots going on with it ,, if its the rrod im sure it would play up all the time ? x clamp reapir kit coming so if it goes pairs up l will try that ,

no point sending it back if theres a chance they will put a onlite in it

dont do it it'l hurt
30th June, 2008, 10:49 PM
got a modded 360 smirnoff m8 got the 3rrod sent it away to be fixed all good for a couple of months then ~~~~ed again repaired it myself x-clamp and all that 3 times still ~~~~ing up now
personaly i think the fxes will only work for so long the it will ~~~~ up all together sooner or later
also read that if it freezes then do the heat trick or towwel trick as well as the x-clamp
hope this is of some use

smirnoff_rules
30th June, 2008, 11:00 PM
wot did yours do m8 .. when mine was playing up l turned it on and green lights but not sound or picture and then a minute later the 3 red light then after a few goes starts to work fine , and its beens fine for a few days ?

shortyball
1st July, 2008, 01:38 PM
i got my hands on a nice little tutorial for fixing the RROD, fixed a few with it now.(pm if you want a copy its quite handy)
But touch wood no issues with my elite yet.

smirnoff_rules
1st July, 2008, 01:50 PM
i got my hands on a nice little tutorial for fixing the RROD, fixed a few with it now.(pm if you want a copy its quite handy)
But touch wood no issues with my elite yet.cheers just post it m8

dont do it it'l hurt
1st July, 2008, 02:59 PM
wot did yours do m8 .. when mine was playing up l turned it on and green lights but not sound or picture and then a minute later the 3 red light then after a few goes starts to work fine , and its beens fine for a few days ?

thats wot mine does now
it will play fine the just go off and nothing works and the 3rrod comes on about 5-10 mins later

smirnoff_rules
1st July, 2008, 04:58 PM
thats wot mine does now
it will play fine the just go off and nothing works and the 3rrod comes on about 5-10 mins later

its the other way around for me . did take 5 to 10 to turn on , but when its on its fine . left it on all weekend and its been fine , just turn on again and its started first time ? strange

smirnoff_rules
2nd July, 2008, 08:12 PM
l was going to send mine back but not going to tho , just installed the rrod fix and started fine .. so l will let u know if its cracked it .. 20 minute job ..

wozzo
3rd July, 2008, 06:38 PM
~~~~, my 1st gen 360 is after staring to red ring.

very intermitent at the moment, sometimes i turn it on it will RR and if i turn it off and backon it will work.

And like someone else said once its on it works fine.

X-clamp is on the way.:elefant:

shortyball
4th July, 2008, 08:30 AM
Im sure as most of you know, it is advised to limit such failure is the way the xbox is stored. In it laydown position is probably best in this position if the soldering does get to hot and melt there is less chance it will fall away and cause a break in the connection. Which a common fault for RROD.
Ive always used on of the plastic units to direct airflow more efficently.

Il try and get access to my hotmail at some point and post that tutorial.

wozzo
4th July, 2008, 09:42 PM
Il try and get access to my hotmail at some point and post that tutorial.

I could do with that, nice one mate.

shortyball
11th July, 2008, 01:08 PM
link for tutorial - fix-for-the-3rlod.pdf - RROD fix - BADONGO (http://www.badongo.com/file/10333582)

It is not my tutorial so i dont take any credit for it.

stevie+
19th July, 2008, 12:15 PM
i got the 3 red lights the other day thank god i had a spare one sitting

slippy999
23rd July, 2008, 04:56 PM
had my box from the start with no trouble untill the other day. with all the news of the lite on drives i thought id give the xclamp a go. got everything i needed from b&q (why bother with flea bay). its been about a week now with no trouble, fingers crossed

smirnoff_rules
23rd July, 2008, 07:37 PM
same here . had the labels to send back .. no point if theres a chance of an on lite drive . 4 quid for the kit and its working fine again

just got another of ebay for 45 quid , works for 45 min and then rrod , if the kit works its a spare

gizmo.1484
27th July, 2008, 05:30 PM
Is it worth buying a 360 with rrod and doing the xclamp fix?
If so how much should i pay up to for one?
What causes the rrod is it because it has had a mod-chip installed or just a bad design flaw by Microsoft?
I am looking to buy a 360 so just wanted to know which way to go buy one with rrod save a bit of money, but if is going to cause me problems then forget that.
Which is the best machine on the market? I just want it for game play and live (chipped would be an advantage) but can do that myself. Is flea bay the best place to buy one? or are there other sites? Just looking for a bargain.

smirnoff_rules
27th July, 2008, 06:03 PM
l paid 45 quid for one this week , the guy said it rrod'ed after 45 minutes .. opened up and its was full of dust and blocking the heatsink ..and an easy hitachi 47 in it too , had its working all weekend and its fine , got a x clamp kit just incase but its fine

happy days

frankharrison
27th July, 2008, 07:20 PM
I hope you don't mind me adding this to the topic for 3 red lights, only I thought it might help someone?

I've done all the conversions (x clamp, etc). Added extra cooling but to no avail.

I then looked at the power supply. It was roasting. So I tried the PC power supply method. This cured the 3 red lights. Bit noisier but it works.

I've tried different PC psu's and found the ones with 2 fans work better.

Hope this helps.

Frank.

randomuser83
28th July, 2008, 07:02 PM
This is really irratiating to me. Why cant microsoft ensure the quality of there products. They have the highest failure rate among the other consoles.

smirnoff_rules
28th July, 2008, 07:56 PM
funny as soon as the weather warms up the rrod starts . make sure your box is off the floor . ie on four lego bricks is good . even see if a fan pointed at the box works . if so it needs a blow out

bigzuk
16th August, 2008, 02:35 AM
ive fixed about 20 of these so far, made profit on a few by selling on, x clamp method works well never had one come bk yet

asuk
8th October, 2008, 11:45 AM
just sold my flashed xbox. had it from the start no problems...
thought id flash my second 360 thats just been fixed by microsoft.
open it up what do i see ? a shite on drive that i now know cant be flashed yet

bro
8th October, 2008, 11:22 PM
the key can be taken from the shiteon drive and put onto a 25 pound drive of fleabay