PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

gibbo74
24th July, 2009, 09:42 PM
hi all help needed
my netgear router has been playing up of late so ive been and bought a tp link 108m wr641g ,my isp is virgin and when i connect the new router it wont connect to the net can somebody please tell me what i need todo thanx in advance gibbo

jfish
26th July, 2009, 12:32 PM
hi all help needed
my netgear router has been playing up of late so ive been and bought a tp link 108m wr641g ,my isp is virgin and when i connect the new router it wont connect to the net can somebody please tell me what i need todo thanx in advance gibbo

when you say wont connect - do you mean it wont get an IP address for the ISP

have you cloned you MAC address from the PC you are connected to the router admin page with, should be a button you press to do this. I always do this as I find the MAC address of the router never tends to work for me.

caveman_nige
26th July, 2009, 05:12 PM
hi all help needed

Having done some reading on your new router it appears that it is just that, a router... You need a DSL modem router to connect to VM...

TL-WR641G (http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=1)

From what i read this kit is for adding to an exisiting network to give a wifi access point and not as the connection to the ISP. It appears on their wireless lan products page but not on their modem/router page, worst still they only seem to make ADSL kit which is for normal broadband, for cable broadband you need a DSL modem/router..

Below is copied fromthe manual:

Chapter 2. Connecting the Router
2.1 System Requirements
1. Broadband Internet Access Service (DSL/Cable/Ethernet)
2. One DSL/Cable Modem that has an RJ45 connector (you do not need it if you connect the
router to the Ethernet)
3. Each PC in the LAN needs a working Ethernet Adapter and an Ethernet cable with RJ45
connectors
4. TCP/IP protocol must be installed on each PC
5. Web browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later, Netscape Navigator 6.0 or later

You will note form Line 2 that you will need to attach a DSL/Cable Modem to this device to get it connected to the internet...

Sorry for being the bearer of bad new mate,,, hope you have the receipt..

gibbo74
27th July, 2009, 01:09 AM
i have got a virmin media modem which was conected to my netgear wifi router that broke that is why i bought my tp link wifi router to give me wifi via connection to my vermin media modem i can get the internet just cant get the tp link 2 give me wifi for some daft reason, i wasnt trying to connect dirct to the broadband connection im trying to connect via modem plus router

caveman_nige
27th July, 2009, 09:19 PM
ok...

wifi not connecting huh, same problem you had with the netgear i believe....?

gibbo74
28th July, 2009, 09:23 PM
yes same problem but all will be sorted cos virmin have sent me a new router andthey are fitting it tomorrow so all will be sorted
thanx