PDA

View Full Version : GTA 4 ON PC, PROBLEMS, DO YOU TOO ??

Saltire
25th July, 2009, 01:45 AM
as the title says, i have gta 4 for the pc and problems, wondering if anyone else is the same and/or can help ?? i dont want to go into detail yet until i know that someone can help me or advise me, saves all that typing, lol.

thanks.

Saltire
25th July, 2009, 09:50 PM
anyone ???

Raven
26th July, 2009, 12:28 AM
No offence mate but were you pissed when you typed this ? because how can anyone know if they can help or not if you don't say what the problem is ? lol.

On a serious note, I'll bet that most if not all of your GTA IV problems are down to your machine not being up to snuff or not being looked after all that well, either that or the fact that GTA IV isn't particularly optimized well for the platform hence your problem if it's not you is down to the game and if that's the case there's nothing you can do but hope for a patch update that resolves whatever the issue is....without specifics this is about about as vague an answer as I can give you but then considering the vagueness of the question at this point it deserves no less - if you want something you have to give a little aswell....so put at least some effort in mate, let's hear exactly what your problem is that you are having with GTAIV, what you have tried up to this point, and either me or somebody else might be able to sort you out hopefully.....but until you state exactly what your problem is, I'll keep saying that the solution to your problem is a 3 headed monkey - meaning the answer won't make any logical sense at all and likely is a BS solution....so then, pinpoint the problems so we can punt for a proper solution.....

Saltire
26th July, 2009, 12:42 AM
thanks mate, i was pissed actually, lol, and i just couldnt be bothered typing a load of stuff if no one had'nt actually bought gta 4 for the pc, no point in asking for help where no help is available, lol, thats why i kept it short.

Anyways, my computer can more than handle GTA4, thats not the prob, cpu-i7, gtx 285 graphics, 6gb ram etc etc, not a problem, all drivers and so on are always kept up to date too.

Problem is, i get the game installed, then click to start and it goes to that stupid screen where it shows all the characters of the game for ever, keeps showing them, i cant get it to do anything else, i press all the keys on the keyboard, nuffin, press the mouse buttons, nuffin, press the joypad buttons, nuffin, same stupid screen just keeps repeating its self, only way to get rid of the screen is to cancel the game in task manager.

Then theres the joypad, supposidly the only joypad that the game supports is the xbox pad, but theres a hack/fix that is supposed to allow any pad to work same as the xbox one would, ive tried the hack and i cant get that to work either. (i have a saitek p2600 pad)

I have the most recent patch for gta4 installed too, so it aint that thats the prob.

For now its pissed me off so much that ive uninstalled the game, but i really want to get it going as it cost me like 40quid and is just sitting there gathering dust.

so any help appreciated.,

Saltire
26th July, 2009, 02:22 AM
Forget the first part about waiting on the screen to change etc, its basically just a case of sitting waiting for like 5 minutes and then it works its self, what a joke of a game, wish i hadnt wasted my money.

still got the joypad problem though which iam working on and will post back outcome to the vast amount of people desperate to hear, hahahhahaha, ilmfao.

Raven
26th July, 2009, 12:03 PM
Mate I hate to break this to you but.....that pad problem you are stating....didn't affect me and I'm using a pad via a Playstation to USB adapter of all things....but only because I did use a seperate program called Xpadder to map keyboard/mouse keys to the pad itself....

Yeah the intro takes the piss abit but I hardly think it takes 5 minutes! Can you not get a hack off the net that bypasses the intro totally and just loads straight to the start menu ?

Finally, yeah the game's kinda borked on the PC, shame too because previous GTA games were brilliantly handled and optimized for the PC and were miles better than their console counterparts (more fuel to the PC Game Dying thread) whereas this one is not.

I feel sorry for you having paid 40 quid for it, especially when you can pick it up on the consoles for about 15 quid preowned lol. But then I am well aware that PC versions of games do allow for a whole hell of alot more options than console versions of games do by their nature - but then at the same time GTA IV just simply works as it should on console....

Saltire
26th July, 2009, 09:01 PM
i paid 40quid when the game first came out, ive still got the gamepad problem, cant get it working :(

Saltire
26th July, 2009, 11:23 PM
I have a saitek p2600 and windows vista 64bit.

I have tried the xbox 360 joypad emulators etc and i cant get my saitek p2600 to work in the game, and i end up messing about and copying files etc etc and mess the thing up and then the game doesnt work and i have to reinstall the game which is real pain as anyone of you who has the gta 4 pc version knows that its a massive game and takes ages to install, so it gradually starts to get on your nerves all this messing about to try and get a pad to work in a game.

Another thing i noticed on some websites is that they direct you to copy/replace .dll files into the windows system folder, i dont know about you guys but i know messing around with .dll files in the system folder can seriously mess up windows and/or other applications that need the files your copying over, so i personally never tried that method, i dont mind copying over files etc in game folders, thats fine as all that can go wrong is it mess's the game up and you only need to reinstall it, but not in windows system folder, thats dodgy.

Anyway, iam hoping someone in here can help me as iam sitting here again right now with the game uninstalled.

thanks.

Saltire
27th July, 2009, 02:07 AM
ok, for those who care, i think i have cracked it, heres my fix. (see attached file)

Raven
27th July, 2009, 03:44 PM
Just get the latest official updates mate, they are supposed to have added in support for joypads like the Saitek you have. And you will likely get increased performance from the updates too due to various optimization tweaks that R* made. I haven't tried them out yet but I've read the files and it looks like they have gone to town with the patches as far as updates go.

Saltire
27th July, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just get the latest official updates mate, they are supposed to have added in support for joypads like the Saitek you have. And you will likely get increased performance from the updates too due to various optimization tweaks that R* made. I haven't tried them out yet but I've read the files and it looks like they have gone to town with the patches as far as updates go.

i have the latest official update, theres no support for other joypads :(

Raven
11th August, 2009, 12:57 AM
Mine was fine with the latest update and mine's an official PS2 pad running through a USB adapter - only problem I had was the analogue sticks being lopsided....so I stick to Xpadder, or I'll use the better program, Pinnacle. It's also possible to get the game or any game to load up with it's relevant Xpadder or Pinnacle profile, if you read up on it.

Just as well too because I was forever forgetting to load it up beforehand and the amount of times I'd have to quit out of the game....

Saltire
11th August, 2009, 01:49 AM
too much hassle for one game mate, i got my pad working with my fix i posted in the thread earlier, still far too much hassle though, and thats why ive banished the game to the back of the cupboard yet again, lol, i will get round to playing it one day when iam mega bored, thats usually what happens, lol.

but fifa 2010 is on its way very soon (first week in october), so that will occupy me as all the fifa games have done for many many years :)

Raven
11th August, 2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah but that's handy for other games too that don't have pad support....this enables pad or peripheral play with anything even if the games don't support them natively.

Also Fifa on PC is usually dogshit compared to the PS3 and X360 versions lol.

Saltire
11th August, 2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah but that's handy for other games too that don't have pad support....this enables pad or peripheral play with anything even if the games don't support them natively.

Also Fifa on PC is usually dogshit compared to the PS3 and X360 versions lol.

no chance mate, with a good pc and graphics card like mines fifa is far far more superior on the pc than any consols, always been the same, infact if you have a decent pc and graphics card nearly all games are far better on the pc format, any blind man can even see that, maybe thats why you say LOL, i would hope so, lol

Raven
12th August, 2009, 01:54 PM
That used to be the case 9 times out of 10 - about 6 years ago - and 9 times out of 10 six years ago I would have agreed with your statement....but nowadays and in Fifa's case in particular....hell no, it's a different game on the 360 and PS3 - I'm assuming you haven't played those versions because otherwise you would know this....I've played the PC version too and the difference between that and console version is like night and day with the console version being far superior.

This is why the Fifa fans on PC are up in arms that the PC version isn't the same as the console version, because the PC version of Fifa is the inferior version in direct comparison to the console counterpart despite a PC being capably more powerful....a quick trawl on any PC Fifa forum will show you this - and playing the console versions will prove this.

End of the day it doesn't matter one little bit how powerful your rig is if the developer of said game doesn't make a good PC port....in the end you could have a machine from the future but you would still have said GTA IV problems and Fifa would still be inferior to the console versions....so it ends up shoddy porting and a generally not very well optimized game hence GTA IV, Fifa and Guitar Hero - that's because the developer of the game made it so by not pumping as much money into the PC version.....this is why PC gaming as far as non exclusives go - is dying - because this sort of thing happens all the time now. Whereas 5 years ago the PC version of games were always far superior to console versions, often not the case now though. And if you think otherwise mate then I'm afraid you would just be deluding yourself to justify your purchase of serious PC hardware. I don't mean to sound like a ***** about it, but wether right or wrong your opinion's fine - but facts are facts mate. :)

Saltire
12th August, 2009, 08:17 PM
but wether right or wrong your opinion's fine - but facts are facts mate. :)

i have tried various console games V pc, and most of the time the pc knocks the socks right off them, no questions asked, the pc simply blows them right out the water as the level of technology thats in even the best of console's cant even get anywhere close to that of a decent pc, never has and never will, thats the facts, and facts are facts, lol.

I guess you dont have a decent pc like mines, unlucky mate, lol, but the facts are facts, even a blind man can see that.

Raven
12th August, 2009, 08:49 PM
Except in my case I was talking about Fifa specifically in the first place....and I do have a respectable machine.....Fifa's still dogshit on it, same as Guitar Hero and GTAIV and it's cos of shitty porting jobs - facts are facts, simple as.

Saltire
12th August, 2009, 09:02 PM
Except in my case I was talking about Fifa specifically in the first place....and I do have a respectable machine.....Fifa's still dogshit on it, same as Guitar Hero and GTAIV and it's cos of shitty porting jobs - facts are facts, simple as.

i have fifa09 mate and all the last fifa's too, and i also have GTA4 for pc too and if your trying to say that it looks far better on a console, any console, then with all respect mate, your talking absolute rubbish, if you have great pc's like ive always had then you will know that straight off the level of detail available on pc games is far far far superior to any console, consoles simply dont have the techno capabilitys of a decent pc/cpu/graphics system, there is no ifs, buts or maybes, consoles cant touch a pc on performance and graphical capabilities, just look at the processor chips and the graphics chips that are in the best of consoles, theier no where near even slightly older pc's.

this is an old argument anyway, one thats been going for years with gamers, but its not until console owners sit down infront of a great pc and display that they then say "hey man, i realise now what all the fuss is about and yea pc's jump on consoles from a great height"

Raven
12th August, 2009, 11:48 PM
No pal, I'm saying the exact same thing I've said all along if you care to listen....I'm saying Fifa (and other games mentioned) perform alot worse on the PC and in Fifa's case is a totally different game literally than it's console counterpart......I don't disagree with your statements about PC vs Console....in fact I agree with those - what I am saying is that some games play better on console and play alot worse on the PC due to shoddy porting or in some cases like with Fifa the said game is simply better on console because it's a different and far superior version - if you disagree I'd just point you in the direction of Fifa 09 on 360 or PS3 then to your Fifa 09 on PC and tell me which is superior then, because I've played both and so have many others on the PC Fifa 09 forums and the fact is we can't all be wrong and I know I'm not. Just play Fifa on PS3 mate, trust me.

As for your last point, I own both a good gaming PC and the latest consoles....and regardless of how good PC's are usually for the "repeat content", console's always have the edge due to their exclusives - case in point had I stuck rigidly to PC gaming I would have missed out on console gems like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted Drake's Fortune etc and this is without mentioning the likes of Goldeneye or Zelda....games which are miles better than any WoW or Counterstrike game on PC.....in fact the only really good PC exclusives I've ever played were Championship Manager and Crysis. But then that's purely looking at it from an exclusive games standpoint. But still drives home the fact that consoles have better games despite the console being technically inferior in terms of capability - but are they really ? The games they said could never be done on console - Far Cry at the time and Crysis now - are coming to console and it's them developers that have the biggest say on how good one is over the other. On the hardware side PC's vary wildly from person to person and for this some people have machines from the future - but some games still play alot worse than they ever should due to crappy porting jobs regardless.

Saltire
13th August, 2009, 12:03 AM
no thanks mate, i wouldnt give any console house room.

I do understand that some games have better gameplay on consoles just depending on which game etc, but i was meaning the graphics and detail etc, in my opinion you can have a game on a console that plays well but doesnt look half as good as it does on a great pc, so its swings n roundabouts so to speak, i like a game to look excellent first, then the gameplay, obviously the gameplay needs to be pretty good too, but for me, and like lots of other people, graphics are of most importance, and thats when the pc can jump all over any console, even you will agree with that.

Raven
13th August, 2009, 12:15 AM
No offense mate but you are obviously a PC fanboy...whereas I can see it from both sides....I can see what you are saying about how alot of games look better on PC than on console but what I'm saying is that not all of them do....and alot perform worse.....Fifa is a prime example of what I'm saying and as I said - play that on PS3 or 360 and then come back with the same argument that Fifa's better on PC - quite simply, you won't.

no chance mate, with a good pc and graphics card like mines fifa is far far more superior on the pc than any consols, always been the same

You are obviously assuming here because I know that not to be true as a matter of fact from experience, just play Fifa 09 on the PS3 or 360 and you will realise how untrue that statement of yours that I quoted really is. This is why I said opinion is one thing, but facts are facts. I say this with all due respect mate honestly, I'd quite while you are ahead and at least play Fifa on PS3 or 360 before you come back with the argument because as it is you don't really have a leg to stand on regarding your original point since it's a fact that the console versions of the latest Fifas are miles better than PC versions as they are different games - but Fifa PC version is another shoddy port in and of itself for what it is.

Plus Fifa 09 on PS3/360 is the "next gen" Fifa - Fifa 09 on PC is a shoddy port of the PS2 version of Fifa 09.....are you certain you don't want to rethink which version is superior mate ? I would at least play the game on the platform in question before you draw an opinion.

Saltire
13th August, 2009, 12:13 PM
i dont need to try fifa09 on the ps3 or any other console for that matter, i have friends who own all these things including mega gaming pc's too, already spoke to them about this and they agree that fifa on the pc is way better than on any console, they also agree that the actual gameplay is a bit better on the consoles, but apart from that fifa 09 is much better on a great gaming pc, when i say better i mean it looks so much better, gameplay is different thing, and same go's for all the older fifa's too, i would agree with you that fifa09 is about the worst of the fifa's so far, and thats on ps3 etc too, not just pc, all this info comes direct from my mates who i already says own all the consoles and great pc gaming rigs too, plus all the latest games.

Oh, and then on gta 4, wow, the graphics are just "stunning" on a pc equipped with a good cpu and graphics card like mines (i7 cpu) and nvidia gtx 295) , the graphics a breathtaking infact, i asked my mates thier opinions on this game on consoles and they says again that the graphics on console versions cant touch the graphics on my pc, they did say however that the gameplay is a bit better on the consoles, well until you learn how to use the pc controls that is, lol

phewww, that was like typing a book, lol, iam on my lappy just now, hate dam lappys.

Raven
13th August, 2009, 01:13 PM
Well I'm sorry but your mates are wrong, you should play Fifa on console for yourself mate as the console games are different than the PC version....like I said there's about 30 people on the PC Fifa forums moaning about Fifa PC being inferior for every 1 of your mates that say otherwise - which is why you should check out these things for yourself rather than base an entire argument on second hand knowledge.

Saltire
13th August, 2009, 02:01 PM
dont need to mate, my mates are a very good source of info, i would trust them before some of them dummies on fifa forums, ive been a member on that forum since day 1, couple of good guys but mostly all dumb.

how long have you been playing fifa by the way ?? ive had fifa ever year since its day of release away back in the old days, infact i go buy it on day of its release evey year, iam what you call an oldie gamer, been there, seen it all and then done it all again for the sake of it, first computer was back in spectrum days, then had allsorts since then, but thats another long winded story.

Raven
13th August, 2009, 05:17 PM
With all due respect mate, you aren't listening to what I'm actually saying and you are blatantly refusing to face the fact of reality meaning that you refuse to play Fifa on the PS3 or 360 because I think you quite simply KNOW it's the superior version compared to the PC version but you are obviously refusing to admit defeat on this one despite the fact that you are wrong to say that the latest Fifa games are superior on the PC when in fact they are anything but....like I said the latest Fifa games on PC are ports of the PS2 versions - as has always been the case....whereas the PS3 and 360 versions of Fifa are proper next gen presentation and gameplay and this is a fact.

Pro Evo Soccer on the other hand is a different story as that looks and plays the same on PC as it does on PS3 as it's the same game and a decent port - Fifa like I said is a different game alltogether on PC and a crap port aswell and is therefore dogshit like I said originally - that's just my opinion, but the rest of what I said is a simple fact - which you'd realise if you wern't such a PC fanboy, no offense.

You can think you are right all day long and you will, that's fine.....but until you see for yourself regarding Fifa on PS3/360 vs PC then you haven't even got an argument because there is no base for your opinion except in your mind and your assumptions - and this is why I am respectfully telling you that you are quite simply wrong regarding Fifa. End of story, and if you won't take my word for it, then I implore you to see for yourself, but if you won't do this then you haven't got a leg to stand on in the argument so to speak. Mind you, you haven't anyhow because the fact is regarding Fifa you are wrong and I am right, sounds arrogant but that's just the way that it is quite simply.

Fact is, I'm trying to be nice about this....and the fact is I can see parts of your arguments about PC vs Console and I mostly agree, but the fact is you are making zero attempt to see my perspective or to prove me wrong and yourself correct (which in this case is impossible) but you seem to be going out of your way to resist my arguments, except mine is based on fact regarding Fifa whereas yours is based on assumption. Fact vs assumption - which one wins ? Fact wins every time my friend.

Saltire
13th August, 2009, 06:50 PM
i will never agree with you, so no sense in going on in this thread any longer and wasting my time and yours and boring the breasts off others looking on.

iam tired of it, was funny for a bit, just boring now.

Mods/admin, feel free to close my thread/this thread, the original subject about problems in gta4 was answered ages ago, not much sense adding anymore here, unless someone else wants to add anything ? i doubt it.

Saltire
13th August, 2009, 07:14 PM
@ raven, lol, update.

just to add, ive just been in contact with more of my friends on fifa, these people have been playing fifa for years n years like myself, and they have both versions, pc and ps3, i asked them thier opinions on this subject and believe it or not they all said better overall on pc although the ps3 versions has some functions the pc version doesnt which they liked, but at same time the pc version also has functions the ps3 version doesnt, but they agreed overall fifa09 on pc is much better, and 1 thing that makes it really stand head over heels above the console versions is the graphics, poor on ps3, amzing on pc, i have these peoples usernames for fifa online if you would like to ask them personally, i have been playing these people for many years as i said, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, lol.

edit ::> just been told the only thing fifa09 on ps3 has in its favour is it appears to play online games smoother with no lag etc, but thats down to the game servers, so thats not even anything to do with the actual game, lol.

Raven
13th August, 2009, 07:40 PM
Based purely on this thread I see Thomson is talking crap as ever then....mate need I remind you that this thread started by you coming in asking for help with GTAIV issues and yet you never even gave any specifics in the first place - I didn't want to say anything then but that made you look abit of an idiot....and now you expect to be taken at your word as if you know what you are talking about ? And you base your whole argument not off fact, what you know or general public opinion, but what your mates say lol

There's obviously no changing your mind, but I know for a fact I'm correct and you are wrong whereas you can't truthfully say the same thing - so think what you want but if you think Fifa's superior on PC then you're wrong and if you're basing it not off your own knowledge but what someone else supposedly says then you make yourself look a complete idiot to be totally honest. I take it you're an ungrateful sod aswell then, because I tried to help you originally and in the first place, but you've been an ignorant sod all along....so this is the lip you give me in return for trying to help you out eh - all because you are a fanboy that hates being told he is wrong. Sorry but you are. End of.

And you can go bollocks from now on if you think I'm going to help get you out of the shit again. I don't have the time or the patience for ungrateful people and their ignorance.

Oh and if you have anything more to add or say to me then let's see you PM it to me. I doubt you will. This thread should be closed.