PDA

View Full Version : Is my Netgear WNR834B dead?!

-Hox-
28th July, 2009, 08:16 PM
Here's one for you.

Fired the laptop up earlier and started browsing as usual. Things got a bit slow so I checked the connection. Now, the signal was perfect, but the connection speed was not the usual 54mbps that I'm used to, it was 1mbps.

Shortly after, I lost connection totally. Then it came back with 18mbps, which fell to 5.5, then 2, then 1, and then it died again.

When I look for networks it finds bloody loads from around my area (so I guess the lappy's ok), but not always mine. It seems to drop for no reason. The firmware hasn't been updated, no settings have changed, it hasn't had a good kick (yet), so I'm a bit lost really. I think it may be dead... which would be a bit of a shit really.

Anyone got any ideas before I ruin it forever?! :secruity:

Cheers!

-Hox-
28th July, 2009, 09:13 PM
Just tried a wireless card in the PC, and it was ok for a minute or two... then dropped!

Looks like it's the router. Damn it.

-Hox-
29th July, 2009, 08:50 PM
Well, after finding out that I had 2 months left on my warranty, I thought I'd give our helpful friends at Netgear a call... wish I hadn't!

I've just spent an hour and a half (no joke, it actually was that long) messing around with settings (all of which I'd tried before but they wouldn't have it), letting some bloke remotely control my router etc etc, and when all that didn't work and I was passed to another department, I had to do a total reset, and set the whole bloody thing up from scratch again!

Anyway, long story short, they're sending me a replacement router. Thank god.

I hope I NEVER have to call them again!!