PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu i wonder can it help

arky4
18th July, 2015, 11:34 AM
my computer does not show my wd passport external hd , but shows in device manager and the bios. i would like to retrieve my data. while trying to get information how to on the internet it was suggested to try ubuntu to see if it could see the drive would this be the case. cheers

GastonJ
18th July, 2015, 06:18 PM
You could try any of the Linux live cd's without installing it. It may help if Windows is busy sulking and protecting you from yourself, as it does.

arky4
19th July, 2015, 10:17 AM
You could try any of the Linux live cd's without installing it. It may help if Windows is busy sulking and protecting you from yourself, as it does.
thanks. that was the route i was going to try will have to read up on it. different system looks a bit daunting but give it a go

M T Glass
19th July, 2015, 07:04 PM
I thought the same when changing from xp to linux arky4 but it is an easy enough move.
As you only want to try the live cd as posted by Gaston then you should be ok as it is just a demo of the installation.
j

arky4
20th July, 2015, 10:30 AM
I thought the same when changing from xp to linux arky4 but it is an easy enough move.
As you only want to try the live cd as posted by Gaston then you should be ok as it is just a demo of the installation.
j
i want to try and retreive data on a external drive that windows does not recognise so i think i will have to install ubuntu