PDA

View Full Version : W203 CLuster Problem with Star

rudeney
27th July, 2015, 02:31 AM
I have a 2002 C230 (USA model). The original cluster died, so I have installed a used one. I've been driving it a while with '------' as the odometer and haven't worried about it (it's an old car my kid drives), but now, the AC is not working and I can't get STAR to talk to it - I get a problem saying it can't communicate with EZS. I can scan some systems - ECU, TCU, and Teleaid, but not the cluster, EIS, ACC, SRS and few others. I assumed it was because the cluster and EIS were not married. SO after finding this forum and reading a lot, I discovered i just needed to zero the mileage on my cluster' EEPROM to be able to re- code it with STAR. So I bought Carprog, and managed to zero the mileage on the cluster (put FF in hex lines 000, 010, 300 and 0310). Sure enough I when I first insert the key, I briefly see the cluster odometer read 000000 but then it changes to ------. But, I can re-code it because I STAR still want talk to the cluster - it still says it can't communicate with the EZS! I guess there is another issue here? Any ideas? Cluster part number is 203 540 65 11 (old style fuel gauge interface). Thanks for any help!

mercis
27th July, 2015, 10:45 AM
star dev. instrument
ansteuerungen-"writte key id"

tunertool
27th July, 2015, 12:55 PM
It is another issue mate... it would still allow communication.

mercis
27th July, 2015, 02:43 PM
it still says it can't communicate with the EZS

rudeney
28th July, 2015, 03:10 AM
Hi Mercis, are you saying there is a way in Star developer to get to the ICM programming even though it can't communicate with EZS? I am fairly experienced with Star, but I do not know how to get into the ICM settings without being able to connect to it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

mercis
28th July, 2015, 04:22 AM
have you avdi or other diag tool?

SEAT.
28th July, 2015, 06:04 PM
I think u should flash cluster

diagtech
29th July, 2015, 12:03 AM
Flashing cluster definitely works done this on a few

rudeney
29th July, 2015, 03:30 AM
@Merci: Sorry, no avdi - I only have STAR and Carprog. Oh, I also have an old copy of Carsoft, but that's no help in this.

@SEAT, @Diagtech: I removed the 93C86 EEPROM from the cluster and zeroed miles with Carsoft. Are you saying I should flash it with a copy of virgin code? All I have read here on the forum (and I've read pretty much everything about the W203 here) says I just need to zero miles. But I'll be glad to find a virgin image here and do a complete flash. I'll probably not have time til the weekend. I'll post results then. If you guys thank of anything else, please let me know! THANKS!

Speedosoft
2nd August, 2015, 06:40 PM
In W203 models EIS modules act like gateways. So if you cannot communicate with all the modules you mentioned then your culprit might be the EIS itself. One CAN line can be down or have a dirty signal and it's enough to create bad communication with some modules. You can use a CAN analyzer to check the integrity of the can communications. All MB dealers have one and some MB independent shops too. Or if you can borrow a EIS with its original key from a junkyard you can install it, turn the key on (engine won't start of course) then scan it and see if the communications are re-established. If not then your problem might in the wiring (such as CAN junction boxes or splicers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diagtech
2nd August, 2015, 09:40 PM
Or use an old tacho universal dashplug method and put required kms in and press km+flash this will put mileage you want on cluster and then stop the cluster looking for eis and miles will stay in display

smayer
3rd August, 2015, 03:33 PM
Can try diagnose with dash unplugged.

rudeney
7th August, 2015, 04:07 AM
I don't think this is a CAN communications problem. I believe "something" is locking Star out of being able to communicate. The reason I say this is because I also have a Carsoft 7.4, and it can read the cluster and other systems that Star cannot (at least to do what it's limited feature support in reading and resetting codes). Before I swapped clusters, I was able to read the system with Star, but once I put the "foreign" cluster in, Star stopped communicating with the cluster and several other systems (ACC, SRS, etc.).

benzstop
10th August, 2015, 08:21 PM
you have a can problem, you should still be able to communicate with eeverything, even if the cluster does not belong to the car. You seem to have an issue with units on the body can (br, br/wht ) wires

rudeney
15th August, 2015, 02:46 AM
you have a can problem, you should still be able to communicate with eeverything, even if the cluster does not belong to the car. You seem to have an issue with units on the body can (br, br/wht ) wires

Thanks for the advice. Ever since I replaced the cluster, this has been the case. I "assumed" it was the cluster/EZS disconnect causing this. I will follow the Star diagnostic stpes and trace down the wiring to see what I can find.

markony79
15th August, 2015, 03:04 AM
put manualy 0km, and learn the DASH to EZS, need coding which is not to hard for this type of car

then the dash will take the KM from EZS...jobb done

rudeney
21st August, 2015, 01:53 AM
Thanks Markony79, but the problem is, even after flashing the cluster EEPROM with 0 miles, Star will not talk to it. It talks to most car systems, but when trying to code the cluster, or even just read it, I says it can't communicate with EZS. Same when I try to talk to the EIS, SRS and ACC. But I can talk to SAMs, ECU, TCU and several other system. Also, I have Carsoft and it can talk to all of these systems (though it won't do any coding). So I think I have a wiring problem in the CAN bus somewhere than I need to trace.