PDA

View Full Version : ews4 odd behaviour

dmp
28th July, 2015, 11:57 PM
I had a weird one today, made a key for a 2007 x3 (ews4.3). Read the ews no problem, there was only key '4' available so I wrote a chip to key '1' and it wouldn't start. Tried writing one to key '2' and same thing....wrote key '10' and it fired right up.

Not sure if anyone else had experienced this, just the first time i've encountered this and I found it kind of odd.

Any insight as to why (the ews was read immediately before writing the key, not blocked in the ews as a lost key)? If not, just file it in the back of your head and hopefully it will help somebody sometime

bram380
29th July, 2015, 03:11 AM
try make keys in un-used position.

dmp
29th July, 2015, 04:29 AM
try make keys in un-used position.

That's what I had done and it worked right away. Is this common? Is the solution to uncheck the 'used' selection for those spaces and reset the rolling code in the module?

bearheroes
29th July, 2015, 09:24 AM
Yes reseting rolling codes help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obeids
2nd August, 2015, 09:15 AM
Hi.

What machine did you use when writing the transponder?
I found it many time happening that the VIN doesn't write properly when writing used key positions. In this case I then write the key about 3 or 4 times and then go to vehicle and it works.
I have however come across a few BMW vehicles where the EWS just throws out a key. Not disabled nor is transponder faulty. But just wouldn't work in that specific key position even if new transponder made.

dmp
2nd August, 2015, 02:25 PM
Hi.

What machine did you use when writing the transponder?
I found it many time happening that the VIN doesn't write properly when writing used key positions. In this case I then write the key about 3 or 4 times and then go to vehicle and it works.
I have however come across a few BMW vehicles where the EWS just throws out a key. Not disabled nor is transponder faulty. But just wouldn't work in that specific key position even if new transponder made.

read and wrote it with ak90 - tried 2 different positions of (lost) used keys then just programmed position 10 and it worked perfectly. Makes sense that it could have been the VIN in the keys, I couldn't figure out what was different. Did another ews4.3 yesterday and all worked perfectly writing on a used position.

Next time I encounter this I will try to re-write a few times to see if that makes a difference

bearheroes
2nd August, 2015, 02:38 PM
Vin depends on programmer. Some write it some not. Tmpro for example doesn't write.

obeids
2nd August, 2015, 05:52 PM
Vin depends on programmer. Some write it some not. Tmpro for example doesn't write.

AAhhh Yes..... I noticed that when making transponder on EWS 4 and you read the key then you wouldn't see the VIN....