PDA

View Full Version : Login - Locksmith area

Weasel3
29th July, 2015, 03:16 PM
I think maybe the Locksmith area should not be searchable via Google.
Should at least need to get an account and login to get access to the info. I think it was like this before? And recently changed?
Now I can just get directly into the area without logging in. Not a closed community. To much good info - to open, on the web.
Expensive equipment and investments - Concerning this is the best forum of them all in this field.
I don't think their share so much if everything is directly google-able.

Any other comments? For or against?

totalkey
29th July, 2015, 03:39 PM
Yes I agree, they open Google bots access to all electric forum, It's from last few days, now all information open to public

Sent from my VOYAGER2 DG310 using Tapatalk

Johnner
29th July, 2015, 03:41 PM
I think the boat sailed on the locksmith thing years ago mate.....

Everything is accessible now these days.

To bring it to it's logical conclusion,people create an account,log in, and voila !!! All the info is there anyway..

Everyone's a locksmith these days,I gave up on it a few years ago,it's a race to the bottom now with these guys...

To conclude,DK is a shared community,there are no closed cliques in here.

totalkey
29th July, 2015, 04:04 PM
I think the boat sailed on the locksmith thing years ago mate.....

Everything is accessible now these days.

To bring it to it's logical conclusion,people create an account,log in, and voila !!! All the info is there anyway..

Everyone's a locksmith these days,I gave up on it a few years ago,it's a race to the bottom now with these guys...

To conclude,DK is a shared community,there are no closed cliques in here.
Disagree with you, as a locksmith I was struggling to find good source for keys and remotes from China and didn't had Any source for information on immo off jobs and etc, Just after I joined dk forum I found all The information I need. So making this information open view on Google search will make our costumers the ability to discuss with us about prices and work Time and in the end we will losing money.

Weasel3
29th July, 2015, 06:00 PM
When using Google. As a surfer myself. It is always an effort to make an account. A little bit more extra work. To walk the extra mile to get the info. If you really are interested.
Maybe it could be an idea to make it like other forums. A symbolic amount of money like 10 Euro/USD. Via paypal. It cost some time. And you have to do an effort to get in.
Could be useful to run the domain at the lowest costs.
Just to keep away the surfer with high knowledge and a highly payee jobs and expensive vehicles. Which think their keys are to expensive to replace. Who is surfing for fun, and suddenly he/she just came over this place.
If not a fee. At least make an account.

PremierD
29th July, 2015, 06:10 PM
Disagree with you, as a locksmith I was struggling to find good source for keys and remotes from China and didn't had Any source for information on immo off jobs and etc, Just after I joined dk forum I found all The information I need. So making this information open view on Google search will make our costumers the ability to discuss with us about prices and work Time and in the end we will losing money.

" I was struggling to find good source for keys and remotes from China and didn't had Any source for information on immo off jobs and etc, Just after I joined dk forum I found all The information I need. "....

So in conclusion .. it was okay for you to leach information and get help ... but not anyone else ... .. old saying springs to mind ... I'm all right Jack ~~~~ you .. that about sum it up for you ?

pianoman58
29th July, 2015, 06:19 PM
It should be ?10 a year subs to fund DK, password to gain entry each time and no posting or downloads for first 30 days.

that will keep out the surfers and leechers.

Whatever happened to the donation system on here

totalkey
29th July, 2015, 06:34 PM
" I was struggling to find good source for keys and remotes from China and didn't had Any source for information on immo off jobs and etc, Just after I joined dk forum I found all The information I need. "....

So in conclusion .. it was okay for you to leach information and get help ... but not anyone else ... .. old saying springs to mind ... I'm all right Jack ~~~~ you .. that about sum it up for you ?
Considered my self a service provider and I will preferred that my costumers will never know how much cost the keys I sell and how easy is to make immo off for example, this is common sense, and I tried to help some college's here, but making this forum viewable in Google search is exactly like tell Your Costumer how to open is locked car or fix his ignition switch when he call for booking. A job, please moderator change the bots crawl setting, for the benefit of this forum.

camelgd
29th July, 2015, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=totalkey;2568453]Considered my self a service provider and I will preferred that my costumers will never know how much cost the keys I sell and how easy is to make immo off for example, this is common sense, and I tried to help some college's here, but making this forum viewable in Google search is exactly like tell Your Costumer how to open is locked car or fix his ignition switch when he call for booking. A job, please moderator change the bots crawl setting, for the benefit of this forum.

Just because someone knows how to do something, doesn't necessarily mean they want to do it... I can change my own oil and filter, but I still take it to a dealer because the mechanic does 100+ point check when he does it. I also know you can bugger up a job like that by cross threading oil plug, which is EASY to do on American vehicles. I have dozens of customers who tell me they know how to open car, they just don't want to damage it. To paraphrase, "He who does his own lockwork has a fool for a locksmith." Convenience, or letting someone else be responsible who is a pro at what he does, keeps invisible barriers up around the any trade. Just ask the guy who fixes toilets.:toilet:

obdsystems
29th July, 2015, 09:29 PM
looking at DK Locksmith section way back, it was more novices
so I would say it's the experts who have stolen the forum
now we (and I) complain, but rightfully so as we do share too much info

Anyway -
We "experts" should not be using an open forum. we are "shooting" ourselves in the foot. encouraging everybody to obtain in-side info.
So, speaking for many other experts, would like to see a registered private forum section.

No google search, no easy access. But guess it goes against this forum principles

P&D
30th July, 2015, 12:31 AM
looking at DK Locksmith section way back, it was more novices
so I would say it's the experts who have stolen the forum
now we (and I) complain, but rightfully so as we do share too much info

Anyway -
We "experts" should not be using an open forum. we are "shooting" ourselves in the foot. encouraging everybody to obtain in-side info.
So, speaking for many other experts, would like to see a registered private forum section.

No google search, no easy access. But guess it goes against this forum principles

Totally understand what you mean....For the people that rely on this for a living i completely agree with you ..but at the end of the day why should it be a lock part of the forum
Its up to the individual replying to the post if they want to share the information .....if not they don't reply.......if you don't want other's or Google to find the post PM them instead...but i thought this was part of being on an open forum & sharing information ??

If this part of the forum is locked where shall we start next......Sat/Android/Apple/PC......and so on..

Regard's Phil

whiskeyman
30th July, 2015, 12:55 AM
How many of you have had a customer say
i seen on dk how to do it
so gonna try myself

not much if any I suspect
made some great friends here
learned absolute loads

see if you find better

keep as is
we have all gained here

Automat
30th July, 2015, 02:09 AM
I'll be the first to admit, the reason I came here was to leech information, what's the purpose otherwise? But I always give when I can, I sure hope others have leeched info I posted here and found it helpful.
Like Whiskeyman said, I've learned loads here, it's been the most helpful forum, full of great people, thank you all..!!!!!!!

We will always have the edge over the "You-tubers"......experience we have........

Mjolinor
30th July, 2015, 06:00 AM
ffs, instead of worrying about what other people Google why don't you go and do some Googling. I could suggest things like, but not limited to:
Helping people
Open source

Without any of those none of you would be doing any car repairs. It is only the generosity of people that put this information out there that allows you to do anything.

I have never seen anyone in the garage section do any original work on the hacking that is required to achieve what you need. When you have contributed original work to a field then you have a right to control how that information is used and distributed and no one will whinge about it.

If you want to steal other people's work and use it to make money at least have the decency to admit it and be man enough to not try to stop other people doing the same.

totalkey
30th July, 2015, 07:06 AM
ffs, instead of worrying about what other people Google why don't you go and do some Googling. I could suggest things like, but not limited to:
Helping people
Open source

Without any of those none of you would be doing any car repairs. It is only the generosity of people that put this information out there that allows you to do anything.

I have never seen anyone in the garage section do any original work on the hacking that is required to achieve what you need. When you have contributed original work to a field then you have a right to control how that information is used and distributed and no one will whinge about it.

If you want to steal other people's work and use it to make money at least have the decency to admit it and be man enough to not try to stop other people doing the same.
You right I mostly get help from colleges here, but still I will not transfer this information to the end Costumer.

obdsystems
30th July, 2015, 09:26 AM
hmm alot of people don't make a living being a locksmith here -
so their biased to all open "everything"

- Totalkey has a valid concern about end consumer

-----------------

Too many clones. Too much security info shared on a "public" forums
Too many people doing car keys.

Big changes are coming - hear GM next year have new system.
And no solution to Golf Mrk7 here???

Going to get expensive this auto Locksmithing, if we can do it at-all.
And (partly) have ourselves to blame!!!

autofan1965
2nd August, 2015, 11:51 AM
Who can turn off google bots again?

jakesman
2nd August, 2015, 06:04 PM
well yes i agree that all should not be so easy to get , i actualy found parts of my own posts here from DK and other members copied and paste on some china websites selling clone tools telling their customers how to fix some problems and a good one is x-prog 5.5.1 on forums they end up in chenese hands and getting sold , one good thing is the normal dude on the street feels happy because he bought a clone and read on a forum how to use it , (but not reading futher about the problems) so armed with his supervag he hunts down clusters for a fast $$$ so first audi with RB4/RB8 he manages to do what his clever shotgun supervag is inteded to do KILL the dash with "DEF"
no he is screwed run back to forum and see programmers , read flash ,eeproms and xprog carprog lesson learned and so we/i ends up correcting his mistake , with damaged cluster in the hand taking his fast $$$ and some more , but they still try , so the question is where to draw the line and yes i killed ecu's and clusters and now i understand why most password their work , but that also ends up somewhere on the net with simple google search u can find almost anything

PremierD
2nd August, 2015, 06:41 PM
He's missed a few then .... lol

ray-ray
2nd August, 2015, 07:01 PM
Login & password to the secret DK forum. (Please)
Total of forum members 10 + 1 (me)

rapidlocksmiths
3rd August, 2015, 12:34 AM
i am a supporter of much of the info available on the net being restricted , for both the sake of security and those who have learnt their trade to make a living from it , but this is a horse that bolted a long long time ago and is far too far gone now to change.

with forums such as DK and any other forum , the info available and shared helps many and many leech info for their own means , thats forums , no one will change this either , but i do believe its hypocritical to learn your stuff from a forum then moan as others do same when they undercut you , its either open house and good for all or its closed to all , anything else would be double standards .

the power of what is shared is and always will be in your hands , you share or you dont share info , or you share only what you are comfortable sharing .

DK doesnt pretend to be a closed forum , its open about being open , so you have a choice on what you are comfortable sharing and what you wont share , no one forces anyone to share info , its our own choice and always has been.

The request for a closed section is reasonable and not unusual , many would like a secure enviroment for some subjects , just as if this is not to be as not the ethos of the forum is also reasonable

viw9419
3rd August, 2015, 06:40 AM
Perhaps the point has been missed here.
There are two very distinct groups who use this forum, 1. The ones who learn lots/all they know from here, buy the cheapest tools they can and then use this forum as a training centre, backup, technical support etc. 2. The ones who have trained elsewhere, paid for the better quality tools that come with training, backup, technical support etc.

I fall into the second group, I can't speak for anyone else but myself. I enjoy reading the forum and believe that I put in at least as much as I get out as I use the forum for conversation rather than technical support. I personally wouldn't share anything too sensitive here because it is too open and I know that there are high paying jobs that the part time beer-boys would drive 3 hours to my location to steal from me. If there was a closed forum with real names used then that's where the information will go.

The point that is being missed is that quite a few of the members from DK are on other closed forums where information is being shared freely because it's closed, we all like DK forum and want to share information on this forum but can't because we can't control who is taking that information.
Dk will never be the kind of forum where closed sections exist, but by the same token it won't be the forum where working Auto Locksmiths share trade secrets that are making them ?1,000s every month.

Passwording files goes against the "open" nature in my opinion, it is only one step away from a post of "Golf 7 cracked - info in passworded RAR attached". You are either for everyone having the info or you are not.

I say share what you feel comfortable with but don't complain when what you have shared ends up on eBay or other forums.

cqae
3rd August, 2015, 08:03 AM
exactly Gwee, it doesnt seem fair to shut others out. We all have to start somewhere

PremierD
3rd August, 2015, 08:36 AM
A few years back DK did experiment with closed /private.. section for invited trusted members only .guess what ! it was shut down because it turned out that some of the "trusted" members were only there to leach and sell .(you know who you are) :)

So the closed to the noob ~~~~ does not work greed will always win in the end . Those who want to share will always share and those who sit smugly thinking they know it but will not share, fine .. your choice as well. Some clever guy once said "Knowledge is useless unless its shared " I tend to agree with it . :)

So before we get all the 'usual" arguments .. we will leave it here .. DK is here to help anyone who asks ..end of. (even maxitampon lol)