PDA

View Full Version : dead laptop and coco cola

berley
29th June, 2008, 06:21 PM
A few months ago I spilled cola onto my laptop when I was pizzed, it didn?t die straight away but was dead in the morning when I got up.

Over the weeks ive tried powering it on and today it powered up and loaded windows then conked out again, I immediately powered it up again and it stayed on for about 1 minute this time, long enough to tell me my anti virus was out of date and that my last session of firefox had closed unexpectedly, the battery showed as having 98 charge in it.

Ive tried starting it up again (left it a few hours this time) but its not doing anything now, but the blue light shows when im charging it, the blue light never showed before all the other times i had tried it.

Do you think if its left long enough it might come back to life ? or is it still a lost cause ?

davemac82
6th July, 2008, 08:42 PM
A few months ago I spilled cola onto my laptop when I was pizzed, it didn?t die straight away but was dead in the morning when I got up.

Over the weeks ive tried powering it on and today it powered up and loaded windows then conked out again, I immediately powered it up again and it stayed on for about 1 minute this time, long enough to tell me my anti virus was out of date and that my last session of firefox had closed unexpectedly, the battery showed as having 98 charge in it.

Ive tried starting it up again (left it a few hours this time) but its not doing anything now, but the blue light shows when im charging it, the blue light never showed before all the other times i had tried it.

Do you think if its left long enough it might come back to life ? or is it still a lost cause ?

you may have a chance if you open it up and clean any components that have the sugary residue on it and leave it to fry for a few days its more than likely got stuck in your cpu fan blades and the fan is not running causing the cpu to overheat hopefully you have not burnt the cpu by turning it on when the fan is not running. hope this helps

firestorm
6th July, 2008, 09:08 PM
thats what accidental damage is for on your home insurance just ring them up and they will send you a nice new laptop or fix your old one

cico1982
7th July, 2008, 04:15 PM
what kind of laptop is it?
make model ram hard drive?
it might be possible to fix it anyway.
cico

caveman_nige
11th July, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Berley, best thing to do is get it stripped down and cleaned, get that sugary shite off the mainboard etc (hope it was cheap watery tesco cola)... As it dries out it might get better, but there are no guarantess. get your hubby to get his tools out and give it a clean out, they are not hard to strip down, i have done 'thousands of em', 'zulus', what. No honestly, if you send it away for insurance they will than likely write it off as BER (beyond economical repair and you will loose your date.

If you like you can send it to me and i will clean it up for ya, got lots of tools in my cave...

Bigga
26th July, 2008, 06:40 PM
Cleaning the motherboard thoroughly IS the way to go.
Just make sure you leave the thing to dry COMPLETELY before trying to switch it on again (after reassembling).

Bigga

javaoverride
27th July, 2008, 11:26 AM
linxs body spray is good for cleaming circit boards just one of the many uses of linx :)

berley
27th July, 2008, 08:28 PM
what kind of laptop is it?
make model ram hard drive?
it might be possible to fix it anyway.
cico

sorry for the late reply i had forgotten all about this post

lappy is toshiba equium spec here >>> Equium M70-337 (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=116133#0)

If you like you can send it to me and i will clean it up for ya, got lots of tools in my cave...

if that offer still stands drop me a pm :) i cant claim on insurance as i didn't have it insured and it was proper coca cola not the cheap stuff and errm there might have been some vodka mixed in with it lol

berley
17th August, 2008, 09:10 PM
well bugger me my dead lappy came alive again :)

i steamed it a few weeks ago left it to dry and it didn't work, so i stripped it and cleaned it myself and left it to dry and it didn't work so i stuck it in the airing cupboard for a few weeks and it came alive again

woohoo :party:

mark015
18th August, 2008, 02:50 PM
magic..:hahaha:

caveman_nige
18th August, 2008, 05:08 PM
sorry for the late reply i had forgotten all about this post

lappy is toshiba equium spec here >>> Equium M70-337 (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=116133#0)

if that offer still stands drop me a pm :) i cant claim on insurance as i didn't have it insured and it was proper coca cola not the cheap stuff and errm there might have been some vodka mixed in with it lol

I have only just got back to this thread, sorry about that and not sending you a pm to sort, should have given me a nudge.. Anyway glad to hear its working again, if it does roll over and die again then om me and we can sort something...