PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to deploy the airbags using the OBD2 port?

KenshinPT
28th August, 2015, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I built a hardware based on an Arduino to communicate with the CAN bus.

I want to read some data and then print it on the multi function display of my car.

The problem with this project is that uses lots of trial and error by sniffing the bus.

So, if I send the wrong / right command can I deploy the airbargs?

Thanks,

Vasco

teerak2uk
28th August, 2015, 04:38 PM
No if you unplug the srs module

Mjolinor
28th August, 2015, 04:41 PM
I think:

Yes if you don't unplug the SRS module.

May be a safer answer.

:)

Mjolinor
28th August, 2015, 04:42 PM
Personally I think that random numbers down the CAN has a lot more potential for big bucks damage than just the air bags.

amlgarA
28th August, 2015, 04:45 PM
yes you can DEPLY AIRBAG, if your scanner has TEST COMPONENTS IN airbag system don't do it, USSUALLY found in VW, AUDI, PORSCHE,and some more brands, has this function, some scantool warning you before test airbag components with scan tool, you can command the airbag module to release voltage to airbag will fire it.. CAREFULL , OR YOU CAN DEPLOY AIRBAG ALSO IF YOUR SCAN TOOL HAS A SHORT ALSO..

KenshinPT
28th August, 2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks! I'll stop this project then. Disabling the SRS makes no sense because I want to print the data in real time. And I don't want to drive with the SRS disconnected.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Mjolinor
29th August, 2015, 10:41 AM
If you want to use an Arduino for something useful stick it behind the OBD so you can't see it then take it to Toyota or wherever and have it capture all the data and the direction it went. If you could do that with every car you could make one hell of a tool. You could collect all the information to do everything the manufacturers tool does.