PDA

View Full Version : MB A160 w168 ECU Water damaged have donor parts, need advice (Big PLEASE)

dadgum
30th August, 2015, 04:00 PM
Any help/advice helping me to fix my mrs's a160 would make a whole family of 4 very happy again as I'm not getting far :banghead:
I have a water damaged ECU, the amount of brown gunky fluid that came out when I opened it was frightening... whats worse is I cant see how it got in !!! anyways... I have read loads about reading/writing to the 29f200, I don't have any diag hardware, but I have an identical numbered ECU and the immo and the key from a donor, I managed to get it running if I swap all these over, thought I had it sussed going down this route but the central locking no longer works and the alarm goes off when battery is removed and replaced which has no way of being reset without replacing original immo back in place... does anyone know how I can get the remote locks to work again if route is followed? what am i missing?

ECU is A1661500179 MSM 1.3 HW03.99
IMMO is 1688200426 5WK4 736

Jan1980
30th August, 2015, 11:38 PM
Easiest way without diagnostic Tools: Take original immobox and ignitionlock back in place. Open both ECUs. Swap the Flash 29F200 from original ECU to the donor ECU. Start the car, be happy and press the thx button.. :-)

dadgum
31st August, 2015, 05:05 PM
Thank you for posting and confirming what I guessed I had to do, my only worry here is that the lower sitting row of pins on the 29F200 have suffered from corrosion from the water... i'm worried they wont survive the transfer hence trying to go down the route of using donors...

...also, the chances of corruption are high as this pic has been powered up wet, ecu has been cleaned up and dried out now but still no communication, by that i mean my rubbish elm chinese will no longer see it nor will my mate's fault scanner where as before it used to see it, handshake, and then hang retrieving codes, it would be nice if one had a pic reader/writer to assess it's data before butchering the donor.

Jan1980
31st August, 2015, 06:47 PM
1. option: Dessolder the 29F200 and try to read with programmer. I am using GQ-4x with 29F200 flash adapter for example. Then programm the flash from the donor ecu with original dump.

2. option: Dessolder the 29F200 from the donor unit and post the dump. I?ll make it virgin. Then, the ECU must be adapt with DAS.

3. option: Let the new parts in place. You said, engine starts, but remote door lock doesn?t work. Read the dump from IFZ and post it. Perhaps, anybody can make dumps for the keys.

dadgum
2nd September, 2015, 11:41 AM
the pins on the original ecu are too thin and fragile due to the corrosion so let me exhaust the original idea first before I possibly kill 2 ECU's, can you tell me what else i need to swap to be able to lock it, what else am i missing... i have another box that came from the donor, an ESP+BAS unit... is this what else I need? if not...where is the rest of the DAS gubbins?

AC_SHNITZER
2nd September, 2015, 07:40 PM
Put new ECU and DAS this is enought to start the car and of cource transfer transponder from donor key tou yours

dadgum
3rd September, 2015, 11:59 AM
I have swapped the ECU AND the DAS unit from behind cluster and as said above this will start the car fine but I can no longer lock/unlock the doors nor can I arm/disarm the alarm... I would continue this route if I can just work out how to get the door central locking to work (stuff the alarm! who would want to pinch this anyway:))
there must be one more box somewhere ! I have found the central locking heatsunk module but swapping this didnt help... just one more box maybe...somewhere... (praying)

added: also tried swapping alarm unit over to donor but to no avail... in theory (in my head) if ALL electrical units were to be swapped and I have the correct key for donar bits then how else would units know it's the wrong car???

cocutanu
3rd September, 2015, 07:16 PM
Starter. :)
Sometimes, in some models, an immo is implemented into the starter too.
But I think it is not related to central locking as far as you are already able to start your engine.

dadgum
3rd September, 2015, 08:25 PM
...as you are already able to start your engine.

this is what's stuck in my head, DAS must be giving the OK else why would it start, but... how come C/L and alarm are not, I need to rip this donor to bits and research more to find out

AC_SHNITZER
5th September, 2015, 08:28 PM
Just replace Key PCB with your old one and try

dadgum
8th September, 2015, 12:17 PM
I have tried swapping everything yet still not got to the bottom of this :(
will have another go later though she's debating on cubing these two lego cars now!
thanks everyone for your advice and input

...starting to wonder if donor immo is fubar