PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 beta/RTM opinions.....

Raven
3rd August, 2009, 12:56 AM
Just to get a general and honest opinion from others as to what you think of Windows7 so far.

Me personally, to be honest, initially I thought it was good, it's certainly faster and more responsive than Vista and alot more convenient out of the box....so initial opinion is very good, but using it some more and I have to say that in my honest opinion XP and Vista are better for 1 reason - functionality. This might be nitpicky to some, but to alot of others it's going to be totally understandable - in Windows 7 they removed the ability to manually arrange files within folders - now you are forced into either putting up with it as is or having to rename your file just to make it fit how and where you want it to....which to me is shit. It's like at what point does slight speed/response gain overule functionality ? It shouldn't, not ever. This is quite clearly a major oversight by MS, and if the OS is released as is then this is the first thing that mainstream families will notice and will be the first slight on the operating system.

But what frustrates me is that Vista had a very rocky start, and popular opinion took over and the rest is now history....and yet Windows7 is seen as the Windows savior when the sad fact is it's basically 98% Vista at this point especially presentationally, but tweaked for slight convenience and slight response but having had features and basic functionality removed for the privelige.

In fact one really cool thing about Windows 7 was the animated orb boot screen, and other visual tweaks to Aero fade on some windows like the My Computer Properties page, but even these things were inexplicably taken out in the latest beta and RTM in favor of Vista's boot screen etc which further still takes away from Windows 7's individuality....now correct me if I'm wrong but if you have an unpopular operating system do you then purposely make your new one look and sound exactly the same ?

One thing I'm not after is judgement or popular opinion, what I want is for people to be honest and talk straight about their opinions on Windows 7 without fear of judgement or ridicule....and I think this is the place to facilitate that.

Me personally I don't think Vista is anywhere near as bad as popular opinion makes it out to be, I know I'm in the minority on this one but that to me is just a simple fact aswell as being my own opinion. I also do not think that Windows 7 is the savior of Windows even though that is what some people are hyping it as, quite frankly I don't even think Windows 7 is better than Windows Vista in all honesty, not when you consider the similarities at this point and the response vs functionality difference.

manxspud
4th August, 2009, 12:16 PM
To be honest have not felt the need to try windows 7 yet.
Past experience has told me to leave new O/s alone until they are at least a year old. I run vista on this laptop because it came installed, otherwise I am happy still running xp on the desktops with one of them duel booting with vista. Unless i can see some real advantage to running windows 7 after it is released... i will leave that alone as well.

Reapers
8th August, 2009, 01:21 AM
ive tested windows 7 beta 7600 in vmware only atm i have vista as well in vm to compare it to in win 7 has speed and simple design they learned from xp i think there making it into a artform and have learned from the past mistake vista was graphic intense. where this focus on speed more speed!

on the note of the drivers only a proper installation will tell the effect it has on the os but operating system wise it is a vast inprovement over vista and should be the next stable windows operating system assuming the drivers install and keep it stable and does not cause any problems like vista.

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/039-Compatible-with-Windows-7-039-Logo-Sees-Strong-Momentum-2.jpg/

on_the_jazz
8th August, 2009, 12:28 PM
From my own experience Vista was an awful operating system. It took up too many resources, and was very slow without tweaking (and even with tweaking). I disliked it so much that I was using xp until Windows 7 RC was released.

I thought it would be as bad as vista but so far have been very pleasantly surprised. In fact I even prefer it to xp (I never thought I'd say that!). It runs fast, smooth, and stable.

manxspud
10th August, 2009, 11:13 PM
Vista is bl**dy nasty.... I am currently building a box so that i can do a direct comparison of Xp and windows 7... Yep thats right it's on the dinning rm table... she won't be happy when she comes down in the morning... I know it won't be fair due "7" still not been fully released... but a idear of it's potential and if a upgrade is needed... When finished i will post the findings back here.

Ps. I won't bother with vista because i think most people already know it's not as good as Xp.. nuff said.

cunny
10th August, 2009, 11:40 PM
Vista is bl**dy nasty.... I am currently building a box so that i can do a direct comparison of Xp and windows 7... Yep thats right it's on the dinning rm table... she won't be happy when she comes down in the morning... I know it won't be fair due "7" still not been fully released... but a idear of it's potential and if a upgrade is needed... When finished i will post the findings back here.

Ps. I won't bother with vista because i think most people already know it's not as good as Xp.. nuff said.

Granted Vista was recourse hungry. Not as good as xp? Dont know as those who have the pc's to run vista proper it aint as bad but not as fast as xp/7.

The support for 7 is poor as in beta but upto you i enjoyed it, came back to Vista due to a BSOD so needed to get it sorted, now will be going back to win 7.

But also 7 beta is not as fast as xp, also you wont get total app (.exe) support with 7 even with xp mode.

manxspud
11th August, 2009, 12:02 AM
Both desktops are fast enough... 1 duel core 3ghz with 4gb 1066 ram and 1 quad core 3ghz with 8gb 1066 ram... Maybe it comes down to personel preference... As for me Xp is better... But thats what makes life fun... we are all diffrent with diffrent idears... As i said in post #2 unless Windows 7 has a distinct advantage over Xp... i will probley not upgrade. As for the comparsions... maybe i just have too much time on my hands at the moment.:captain:

Raven
20th December, 2009, 03:30 AM
Granted Vista was recourse hungry. Not as good as xp? Dont know as those who have the pc's to run vista proper it aint as bad but not as fast as xp/7.

The support for 7 is poor as in beta but upto you i enjoyed it, came back to Vista due to a BSOD so needed to get it sorted, now will be going back to win 7.

But also 7 beta is not as fast as xp, also you wont get total app (.exe) support with 7 even with xp mode.

Bang right mate, those people with the spec's to run Vista properly will find it works perfectly fine, without slowdown - in fact just today my brother said to me that my PC is fast, he'd obviously used it without my knowledge because I left it on by accident but guess which OS was loaded up - it wasn't Win7, yup it was Vista. And my PC isn't even crazy spec'd just somewhat respectable. No water cooling or owt like that. Couple GB of RAM and a dual core CPU and a decent ish GPU to complete the circle and that's it.

But the problem is Vista DOES run horribly on "shitty" household computers, especially laptops. But to some extent so will any OS. My mum's lappy has XP on it but it's a ~~~~in nightmare to use!!

Truth is that anyone with a decent system today should give Vista another go, because if your system is up to it, it's spot on even better than Win7.