PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive question

hitman07
30th June, 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Folks, i have a dreambox 600 pvr and im looking to put a harddrive in it and im looking for any help at all. i wanna know what kind harddrive to go for and if its difficult to setup. can i set up an externalharddrive or do i have to transfer from the internal one and then format it. any help will be much appreciated. thanks in advance

Curious123
30th June, 2008, 09:57 PM
You will need an 2.5" ide drive for your box. You cannot install anything external as there is no usb or any other connection which will allow to connect a hard drive. It is very simple install a hdd, just open the cover and than connect a hdd to the ribbon cable inside the box and than close the lid. On the image there is an option to format the hdd using your remote.

hitman07
30th June, 2008, 10:04 PM
Ok thats great, is there a way then to connect to an external hardrive to take the recorded stuff from the internal harddrive or do i have to do this via a laptop maybe? sorry if this sounds dumb. i really appreciate all the help

Curious123
30th June, 2008, 10:25 PM
The dreambox has a network port so you can connect it to your home network through a router and than ftp the files to a computer.

hitman07
30th June, 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the info man. One more question i need help with. is there anyway that i can stream from my dreambox to a work pc?? i have heard that this is possible and again id really appreciate any help on this

Curious123
30th June, 2008, 10:52 PM
To be able to watch at work you would need broadband with very high upload speed. You would need to stream to another pc at home which would than transcode your stream and than forward to your works pc.

hitman07
30th June, 2008, 10:59 PM
is there a timer option on the dreambox so i can set it to record something while im away? also is there an option to set the timer up twice to record different things throughout the day. thanks again

Curious123
30th June, 2008, 11:25 PM
It is a PVR box so it has all the timer options recorder.

robbieb43
21st July, 2008, 01:30 PM
You can also record across the network using a number of methods (CIFS share on PC, NGRAB software on PC, NFS Server on PC, native NFS on Linux PC, Samba Server on Linux PC). However, having banged my head against several brick walls I have found Samba Server on a linux PC mounted as a CIFS drive on the Dreambox, the most relaiable. I am sure other people have different experiences based on network speed, PC speed, Windows versions, DB model etc. I have found there are a raft of problems with security on Winows PCs and you may have lower security more that you want to make it work, and the load of running certain protocols on the DB would apear to play a part.

Tip: 1) if you are trying to get one of the Windows methods to work and it won't mount, look at the Widows Event viewer to see what is happening. 2) Think twice about trying to do it over a wireless network.

R