PDA

View Full Version : Sony surround sound connecting to Virgin

a9blue
5th August, 2009, 09:31 AM
Does anyone know how to connect a Virgin box to the Sony DAV DZ 280 Home Theatre to give surround sound? ps there is no audio optical port on system.

cactikid
5th August, 2009, 11:39 AM
is there a digital coax i think they call it like a phono connection.

Chimaera
5th August, 2009, 11:49 AM
Prob with this system is the lack off audio inputs

There's an HDMI output for passing on all-digital video (regular or upscaled) to your TV and an RGB-capable SCART output. There is, however, a DM Port connection that allows you to connect the supplied iPod/iPhone dock (or other optional adapters for MP3 players, Bluetooth devices and mobile phones) and listen to your digital music library through the system. Completing the connections are an FM antenna and colour-coded speaker terminals.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/11307-sonydavdz280img2big.jpg

Now whether the DM port can be adapted ive no idea but i would say its doubtfull as its prob not designed for what your after.

unfortunatly m8 this isnt a box for adding things into

ManofScience
5th August, 2009, 12:07 PM
typical Sony - hardly any inputs!

a9blue
6th August, 2009, 07:59 AM
The manual shows a diagram of digital boxes connected to the tv and not the system but doesnt say whether this produces surround sound.
Surely this must be the case otherwise why have the diagram?
Its a Bravia TV and I was hoping that this meant that they would somehow communicate with each other automatically.

xant14
6th August, 2009, 08:10 AM
There is no input other than the DMport. That is the only way in, if an adapter can be found. I have never heard of one.

xant14
6th August, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have looked and looked and looked, and looked some more, a good 5 minutes I have looked, and I can't find any such adapter to coax dig, optical dig, analogue or whatever. The only adapter I can find is an ipod docking station.
That is typical of Sony... they want kicking in their balls.. These days connectivity ought to be standardised, not new formats coming out. It's not like the DMPort is anything special, as if the only thing allowed to connect is an ipod, hence it is only good for stereo audio. Unless I am missing something.
Looks like your home theatre system is good for playing dvd's and thats it.. oh and your stereo ipod thru 6 speakers.
I will never buy a sony again... well, after i buy the BD350 maybe I will never buy again... well maybe..

borosmogmoster
14th September, 2009, 11:54 AM
I got a Digital Co-Ax to Optical adaptor on E-by from
eBay.co.uk Shop - HoundCables (http://www.houndcables.co.uk) it might be worth contacting them.

the_riddler
15th February, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have looked and looked and looked, and looked some more, a good 5 minutes I have looked, and I can't find any such adapter to coax dig, optical dig, analogue or whatever. The only adapter I can find is an ipod docking station.
That is typical of Sony... they want kicking in their balls.. These days connectivity ought to be standardised, not new formats coming out. It's not like the DMPort is anything special, as if the only thing allowed to connect is an ipod, hence it is only good for stereo audio. Unless I am missing something.
Looks like your home theatre system is good for playing dvd's and thats it.. oh and your stereo ipod thru 6 speakers.
I will never buy a sony again... well, after i buy the BD350 maybe I will never buy again... well maybe..

You should have an "audio-in" port on the front panel underneath the "function" button

sirlisterofsmeg
15th February, 2010, 08:11 PM
Sony all in one systems are totally useless

I had the Dav 30 model and this had Optical input for PS3 SKY HD etc.all gooing through an Optical switching box
The model that replaced that removed any digital audio inputs ????
Most 5.1 all in one systems have no digital audio inputs which in this day and age is totally unacceptable.
Basically it is just a 5.1 dvd player and thats is
And what are they charging for it nearly?300

The best way to go is for a5.1 amp/reciever Look for one with at least 3 HDMI Inputs that way you should avoid any lis sync issues and seperate speakers

You could try Richer Sounds and i bet it will be cheaper than the Sony all in one

ssttaagg
18th February, 2010, 02:18 PM
i`v got a sony home theatre system, with lots of inputs. how many do you need