PDA

View Full Version : analog cable

vipermo
14th March, 2008, 07:35 AM
hi all this is all new to me but can u get a dreambox to work with analog cable cos thats all thats round my way and am i to understand u get all channels free?
thanks

Devilfish
14th March, 2008, 07:43 AM
Yes the dreambox will work with analog cable just the same as digital.

You'll only get what the provider transmits so there's a lot of channels that no longer get transmitted on analog, i.e. movie channels, so you won't get those.

Just scan as normal and they should come up.

6887 - ntl
6952 - tw
6952 - ex c&w

:)

vipermo
14th March, 2008, 07:51 AM
ohhh i did not know that some channels no longer get transmitted on analog not really worth it then hope they hurry up and make this digital
thanks for ur quick reply mate
just fed up with paying for sky tv lol

Devilfish
14th March, 2008, 07:57 AM
I think you still get sky sports and all the discovery and uktv and stuff like that, not sure though.

I though they were turning the analog service off shortly anyway?

vipermo
14th March, 2008, 08:02 AM
not sure i know for terrestrial tv its 2012
round here thought they might be the same so how would i go about it cos we have never had cable here would i just get it on the lowest package or somthing then use the dreambox?

sorry for asking loads of questions

Devilfish
19th March, 2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry vipermo, just noticed this now.

I checked the VM website and they say they only have 2 Non-Digitally Serviceable Areas (NDSAs) and that's in Liverpool and West London. If you're not in these areas, and you know your area has cable tv available, you should be able to get all digital channels. Unless you've been told otherwise by VM.

If you've already got a coax feed coming into your house, it may still be live. So all you need to do is connect a box, scan for channels and away you go. If you don't have a feed, just phone them up and you can subscribe to the basic package. You'll get a subbed box but you can put that in a bedroom if you want. Or you can order broadband only and split the feed. Broadband and tv signals are in the same feed.

If you know someone that already has a box, you could borrow it or get them to bring it round to try it out and see what you get.

Neil
20th March, 2008, 10:30 AM
How can a dreambox receive analog channels. It only has a dvb-c tuner?

Devilfish
20th March, 2008, 11:04 AM
About 3 years ago, all you could get was analog cable. Then it went digital and they gradually stopped transmitting channels on analog so that you would switch over to digital. They are stopping the analog service soon so it will all be digital cable.

The same is happening with terrestrial set-top boxes.

Vipermo, if you ARE talking about freeview, i.e. dvb-t, then you would need a DM500-T as this has a dvb-t tuner. But it would be a very expensive freeview box. In some areas of Ireland, a DM500-T is used on MMDS Chorus cable, this is how it's transmitted there.

vipermo
20th March, 2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry vipermo, just noticed this now.

I checked the VM website and they say they only have 2 Non-Digitally Serviceable Areas (NDSAs) and that's in Liverpool and West London. If you're not in these areas, and you know your area has cable tv available, you should be able to get all digital channels. Unless you've been told otherwise by VM.

If you've already got a coax feed coming into your house, it may still be live. So all you need to do is connect a box, scan for channels and away you go. If you don't have a feed, just phone them up and you can subscribe to the basic package. You'll get a subbed box but you can put that in a bedroom if you want. Or you can order broadband only and split the feed. Broadband and tv signals are in the same feed.

If you know someone that already has a box, you could borrow it or get them to bring it round to try it out and see what you get.

ok great mate im in east london its silly cos about 10 mins walk away they are Digital i have called them and they say no u can only get internet from our adsl cos we still have analog in ur area so im thinking about getting like u say the basic package cos i have no feeds coming in to this house
what sort of set up would i need mate?

Devilfish
21st March, 2008, 12:20 AM
If you don't already have a feed then you won't get one. They won't sell you an analog package. :(

momo101
30th April, 2008, 04:14 PM
We weren't getting certain channels like CNN or discovery channels, it transpires that all we had to do was to change the splitter in the room from the original analog to a digital splitter, also change the one outside.

lorrebreaker
30th April, 2008, 07:41 PM
My brother-in-law lives in an analogue only area in Manchester and he can only get a few channels, in fact if i do a scan from his house it finds no channels (yet strangely if i load my services and bouquets it does find a few).

Have tried both dbox & dreambox with the same results & sadly (for him) he doesn't get any of the sports channels. When he phones VM he gets told they hope to have digital in that area within the year, so far that year as lasted about 4.