PDA

View Full Version : VW Jetta V (2.0 TDI, 2010) - all keys lost and original ECU dead, how to fix?

Games Goblin
26th September, 2015, 06:01 PM
Hello

Recently, a car came in with an ABS problem. It's a 2010 VW Jetta 5 (2.0 TDI).

This car's owner had lost both his keys, and another garage fix this problem by replacing the instrument cluster, ECU and BCM of this car with that from another donor car. So now this car shows VIN of the donor car when scanning with VCDS.

The ABS fault was control module not coded. he ABS won't accept coding with the VIN of this car since it has VIN of another car.

Also, the original instrument cluster of this car was a maxidot, but the new one was taken from a lower variant.

I want to put the original instrument cluster back into the car and match the ECU with it and store the original VIN back into the ECU and IMMO and program a new key for the car (the car now uses the key of the donor car, both the original keys of the car are lost).

ECU in this car is a EDC17C46

The original ECU of the car is dead (killed by another garage when trying to disable the immobilizer)

Please help me to determine which tool can help me accomplish this job

I have been reading around a lot for the past week, and I have a rough idea of the steps I need to accomplish:

1. Take a dump of the IMMO from the original instrument cluster (preferably by OBD)
2. From this dump, program new transponder.
3. Write correct vin in used ECU

I don't have any security tools with me presently (only Diagnostics tools), but I want to get a good one for fixing this car and in future for other jobs

This is what I understand after searching around a lot. And from the looks of it, only AVDI can accomplish this. But AVDI original package costs approx ?6,000! I only get security-related work requests once or twice a year (which I turn down, since I don't have tools), so original unit is not affordable for me, so looking at VVDI / VVDI 2

Also, read somewhere that ODIS with online can match used ECU to cluster? (but still need to program transponder)

Original ECU of the Car (now dead)

http://i.imgur.com/Whn8N1j.jpg

The original instrument cluster

http://i.imgur.com/vCdH6Tt.jpg

Inside of the instrument cluster

http://i.imgur.com/FeElHCl.jpg

EDIT 9.5.2016 : Solved, resolution on page 2

kospoz
26th September, 2015, 07:23 PM
replace the old dash read with boot mode the ecu flash and eeprom upload and I will try to help you with bypass the immo

autofan1965
26th September, 2015, 07:59 PM
smok uhds with immo package should do it.

Games Goblin
27th September, 2015, 07:07 PM
replace the old dash read with boot mode the ecu flash and eeprom upload and I will try to help you with bypass the immo

Hello

Thank you for your kind offer. I have a chip tuning friend with KESS original - he is out of town at the moment, once he comes back I'll have him come around to take a look.

Will KESS be able to read this ECU through OBD? Also, can the dead ECU be read on the bench?
Will immo off on this ECU result in immobilizer light to come on in the cluster?

Cheers

smok uhds with immo package should do it.

Hello

thank you for your suggestion. Can this tool read/write cluster eeprom through OBD?

Cheers

autofan1965
27th September, 2015, 07:44 PM
With Kess you can read eeprom+flash in bootmode, when you get data from cluster then someone edit edc17 eeprom file with your new data. For dash smok mileage package can read it via obd2 when you have working key(like all tools) or when working keys are not present then you need make one small trick.

yugo45
28th September, 2015, 03:46 AM
With SMOK X-Dash full CAN + Immo data packet you can do this via OBD.
But this tool cost about 2000 Euros.

Siham
28th September, 2015, 03:58 AM
with FVDI or vvdi have some chance?
Yugo you are the man of VW!!! :)

autofan1965
28th September, 2015, 09:33 AM
With vvdi/vvdi2 and fvdi he want be able without additional tool and opening ecu determine data from used ecu. 2000Eur or even littel less is still much cheaper as 6k for avdi with online and funny subscription for bug fixing. Cheapest way will be pass this job to someone or just go to vw dealer. You need new keys anyway. Where are you located?

Games Goblin
28th September, 2015, 05:14 PM
Cheapest way will be pass this job to someone or just go to vw dealer. You need new keys anyway. Where are you located?

Hello, the owner had the car towed to the dealers after the first garage he approached to fix this problem killed his ECU (they also opened his cluster).

After seeing that the ECU dead and cluster tampered, the dealer said that they can only fix this car by putting in a new ECU+new instrument cluster+new set of keys - add to this their labor and charges - the estimate given was a bomb :nightmare: (makes better sense to sell this car for scrap and get another used one, keeping in view the value of the car) - so he had the car towed to another garage who started the car by putting in an ECU, cluster and bcm from a scrapped car.

If he had taken the car straight to the dealer after losing the key in the first place, he needed only to play for new key. But dealer told him it would take 3 weeks for new keys to come in (comes from Germany), so he took it to a garage who told him they would do it quickly (and they killed the ECU). Now, I am sure he has learned the value of patience :)!!

I am located in Asia.

With vvdi/vvdi2 and fvdi he want be able without additional tool and opening ecu determine data from used ecu. 2000Eur or even littel less is still much cheaper as 6k for avdi with online and funny subscription for bug fixing.

I'm not looking to invest a lot into security tools - because I usually only get 1-2 security related request each year (I refer them to others/to dealer since I don't have tools - for this car, no one in my city has tools to do it as it's a relatively new car and now it's very expensive to fix at dealer due to the problem I mentioned). I'm looking to get a tool which can do this car - and help me in a cluster upgrade in my own car (octavia 2 - my car is a pre-FL and I am planning a FL cluster retrofit)

From what I have read in the VVDI manual, it can take a dump of the immo data through OBD and use this data to program a transponder. Key blade for the car has been already made by a locksmith (from the key-barrel in the driver's door), so it only needs a transponder to work with the original cluster. The remaining job is to match the ECU with the old cluster - I have a chip tuning friend with KESS who can help me take a dump of the used ECU in the car, but he is out of town for a while.

Can dealer VAS tool with online function match a used ECU to the car? If this is possible, then I see no reason for the dealers to insist on changing the ECU and cluster (I plugged in the original cluster of this car - no errors when I scan it with VCDS, and it seems to work OK apart from not being able to start the car because of the ECU from another donor car)- but perhaps they have a directive that they cannot accept used parts brought in by the customer.

Regards

autofan1965
28th September, 2015, 10:42 PM
Smok is only one device except avdi wich read edc17 cs via can. You want be able to finish this job with vvdi/vvdi2 without someone who read flash+eeprom in bootmode from your ecu. When you smile nice to right person you will be able to buy smok significant under 2k eur. At this stage you have only 4 options:
1)Buy avdi
2)Buy smok
3)Buy vvdi/vvdi2 + get someone who read your ecu or buy equipment itself for this purpose(china cloned tools are not expensive)
4)Send ecu+dash+virgin keys to someone who pair it. It is really not big deal with right equipment. I can help you too but i am located in europe. For sure you find someone closer to you.

Maartinj
30th September, 2015, 09:40 PM
Smok is only one device except avdi wich read edc17 cs via can. ....
UHDS or X-can ?
can you show which options it is ?

autofan1965
1st October, 2015, 12:37 PM
uhds vw immo act 027. It is in xcan program.

Games Goblin
29th January, 2016, 01:57 PM
Hi all

Small update after some time. I have given up on the idea of buying the tools myself for this job. Too expensive, and for me these type of jobs come once in a blue moon.

I have given the dead ECU and immo off ECU to my chip tuning friend. He is trying to read the dead ECU and see if it is possible to clone it to the immo off ecu. If that plan fails, our backup plan is to make the immo off ECU into virgin and then try to perform online coding to adapt it.

Will update here how it goes.

Best Regards

yugo45
29th January, 2016, 04:28 PM
You can not CLONE 1 to 1 EDC 17 , not possible because Flash has OTP are(one time program ) .
Only possible to transfer Immo data , but need to have tool for it, like AVDI , SMOK or ETC.
Same thing to make it Virgin.

H2Deetoo
30th January, 2016, 10:26 AM
Isn't transferring immo data actually the same as 'cloning' ?

I would do the following:
- read all original immo data from cluster (or ecu if still possible) -> find someone with correct tools to do this
- write original immo data to donor ecu -> find someone with correct tools to do this
- learn new transponders -> find someone with correct tools to do this

If you do it like this, the car is still like original, and all will work as before.

Regards,
H2Deetoo

Games Goblin
31st January, 2016, 04:28 PM
You can not CLONE 1 to 1 EDC 17 , not possible because Flash has OTP are(one time program ) .
Only possible to transfer Immo data , but need to have tool for it, like AVDI , SMOK or ETC.
Same thing to make it Virgin.

I would do the following:
- read all original immo data from cluster (or ecu if still possible) -> find someone with correct tools to do this
- write original immo data to donor ecu -> find someone with correct tools to do this
- learn new transponders -> find someone with correct tools to do this

If you do it like this, the car is still like original, and all will work as before.

Regards,
H2Deetoo

Hello yugo45 & H2Deetoo

Thank you for the concise information and outlining the options. I do not have any security tools with me. My chip tuning friend has KESS and CMD flash original.

With the tools we have with us, I can only think of 2 things we can try by ourselves here:

1. Is it possible some way to write the immo data to donor ecu (assuming the dead ECU can still be read) with CMD?
2. Could we make the donor ecu virgin? If yes ---> can we match it to the cluster with online coding (a friendly VW dealer in another town may be able to help us out with the online part...)

If 1 & 2 above are not possible, the only feasible solution I think will be to send the cluster + ECU to anyone of you guys in Europe.

The problem is no one in my state has the latest security tools to work on EDC17 and new gen clusters.

Best Regards

Kellerek
31st January, 2016, 05:08 PM
post the dumps first ... then you can start worry what's next
do you know if they killed ecu reading it or flashing it back ?
tell your m8 to read ecu by bdm pads if pins don't work

yugo45
1st February, 2016, 03:33 AM

When I said Cloning I meant Clone Full Flash + Eeprom.
When I said transferring immo data , I meant transfer just one part of the eeprom file .

That is why I call it different.

Games Goblin
9th May, 2016, 05:46 PM
This problem now solved :)

I finally managed to track down another garage with AVDI original. They were in another city, so I drove the car over with the donor ECU and cluster (I took the original cluster with me + 2 new blank keys)

They were able to program the original cluster and match it with the donor ECU. Also successfully program the 2 new remotes.

Still, all the ABS warning lights are on because the controller is faulty, customer told me he will bring in the car later for replacement.

Big thank you to all who have shared valuable info.

Cheers