PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on Chiptuining

toastedsiopao
27th September, 2015, 12:27 PM
Hi, my friends are asking me to study chiptuning. I ould like to ask where to start and what is the best generic chiptuning equipment to get first. Thanks.

CustomCars
27th September, 2015, 05:47 PM
- brain
- Hexeditors
- huge data base
- good tools to read ecu's ex. ori K-tag or something more universal but more expensive like X17
- many docs, books
- lot night to study ecu software
- Orginal WinOLS
- Miinimum 3 years experience in brand, thats sure give you many basic.

teamtuner
28th September, 2015, 11:22 AM
and also a reserve of 3-5.000 euro for any incidental case

Babos
28th September, 2015, 11:46 AM
Yes and do that cars who you can buy if something go wrong and car owner want kill you!!!

Youneselm
16th October, 2015, 10:25 AM
Hello mate,
Where do you start?
Many of you have probably wanted to have a go at this yourself. Whether you're an experienced mechanic or enthusiastic DIYer, if you've gone to the trouble of searching for this kind of information then you already tick one of the main criteria for a budding engine tuner. I often get asked what I studied or what I think the questioner should study to become an engine tuner. While a standard engineering course is always a good start, it is only that, a good start. There is rarely any direct information on internal combustion engines and the methodology used in calibrating engine management systems is also not directly taught anywhere.

Many people make the fatal mistake of thinking that an immense amount of IT knowledge ("He's good with computers) is what you need. This is only one part of the puzzle and is usually a very overstated skill of the engine tuner. It's a bit like calling yourself a builder because you can use a hammer without hurting yourself, really.

Some of the best tuners I've come across have no degree and usually only a pretty common trade qualification. What they do have is an inquisitive mind which is not afraid to think out a problem. When you think about it, engine tuning has become one of the most multi talented automotive engineering disciplines of all. It encompasses thermodynamics, mechatronics, mechanics, computer science, instrumentation and lots of internal combustion engine knowledge.

So where do you go to get all of this? In this age of the interwebz I'd like to say Google or Wikipedia but that is only a fraction of the answer. As with most information sources, the internet is only what you make of it. That's why I've put all of my collective experiences down for others to learn from. In this series of articles I'm going to outline the industries best practices in modern engine mapping. The articles will be progressive in their nature and take you through all aspects of engine mapping including thermodynamics, engine operation, electronics and testing methods.
I hope i clear something for you out. I have Some study Books that i can send you for helping you out.;-)