PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Range Rover

markw996
19th October, 2015, 04:06 PM
I have an L322 Range Rover 2003 that I need to replace the cluster (by coding my VIN to a secondhand cluster), this forum seems like an excellent source for information.

If anybody knows where the VIN is located within the eeprom dump I would appreciate a pointer while I wait for my eeprom programmer to arrive.

Regards, Mark.

Once I've completed this task I hope to be able to help other people with the knowledge I have gained with this car over the last 5 years of constant DIY repairs!

XmoDDeR
19th October, 2015, 04:48 PM
long chip info in there , i beleve i posted it before.........search button

markw996
19th October, 2015, 05:06 PM
long chip info in there , i beleve i posted it before.........search button

No problem, I tried searching but can't find anything yet. I found a dump from an L322 Range Rover M35080 dash chip but without knowing it's VIN I can't decipher the hex offset.

My eeprom programmer hasn't arrived yet, so I'm sure it will be obvious when I see my own dump in a hex editor :)

XmoDDeR
19th October, 2015, 08:25 PM
post a picture of your dash

markw996
19th October, 2015, 08:57 PM
Here are 3 photos of the replacement dash I have stripped down.
Sorry about poor quality!

xyznia
19th October, 2015, 10:36 PM
try to replace m35080 chip from old cluster to new,be carefull with needles, best way is rewrite m35080 eeprom via points in bottom side of dash,you can do it with xprog-m or m35080 programmer

markw996
20th October, 2015, 05:38 AM
I bought tool to remove needles and have stripped dash (in photos) quite easily.

I read that some calibration data was stored on m35080 for gauges, this is why I didn't want to just swop chips over to a different cluster.
The replacement cluster has lower mileage than my car cluster so I should only need to change the VIN, hopefully mileage will get updated from LCM / EWS / Keys.

I'll post the memory location of the VIN when my programmer arrives, that might help someone else in my situation.
(I expect it to be similar to BMW e39 except Range Rover VIN has single letter and 6 numbers i.e. "A123456" whereas BMW VIN has 2 letters and 5 numbers i.e. "AB12345")

will4u69
20th October, 2015, 09:52 AM
I bought tool to remove needles and have stripped dash (in photos) quite easily.

I read that some calibration data was stored on m35080 for gauges, this is why I didn't want to just swop chips over to a different cluster.
The replacement cluster has lower mileage than my car cluster so I should only need to change the VIN, hopefully mileage will get updated from LCM / EWS / Keys.

I'll post the memory location of the VIN when my programmer arrives, that might help someone else in my situation.
(I expect it to be similar to BMW e39 except Range Rover VIN has single letter and 6 numbers i.e. "A123456" whereas BMW VIN has 2 letters and 5 numbers i.e. "AB12345")
Have you tried fitting new dash should still work normal with incorrect chassis number..

markw996
20th October, 2015, 10:08 AM
Have you tried fitting new dash should still work normal with incorrect chassis number..

Not yet, wanted to get this replacement cluster ready to do a straight swopover before taking the car apart.

Will need to replace ribbon on this replacement cluster before I can even get it to display the VIN of the car it came out of.
I'm just trying to get all the information together while I wait for parts / tools to arrive! :)

I thought someone would probably have a dump from a Range Rover and also know the VIN the dump came from, then I could see what I'm dealing with.

FxShaw
20th October, 2015, 03:09 PM
Taking out the needles and putting it back wont be an issue on this cluster? this cluster should be the same as a bmw right?

markw996
20th October, 2015, 04:04 PM
Taking out the needles and putting it back wont be an issue on this cluster? this cluster should be the same as a bmw right?

Correct, same as E53 however I'm sure VIN is stored in different place compared to BMW.