PDA

View Full Version : E53 VIN Offset?

markw996
23rd October, 2015, 09:51 AM
Can anyone tell me where I could typically find the VIN within a BMW E53 / Range Rover L322 dump please?
(Mileage is obvious, VIN not so)

I'm still awaiting my UPA programmer so don't have my own dumps yet, however I have attached 2 dumps I have found on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

markw996
23rd October, 2015, 12:50 PM
Ok I'm getting somewhere...

I think the first one from the e53 is:
GS81350

But the L322 is confusing as I can't work out the last 2 digits:
A3161??

Can anyone help me understand how to change a VIN on an L322?

captain crackers
23rd October, 2015, 03:27 PM
Concerning the BMW. The last 7 of the vin is GS81357 not GS81350. As to the Range Rover, I have never had to find the vin with one of them, so I can't help you with it. You may struggle to get help from many on here as I don't think it is on Tachosoft! Arthur.

markw996
23rd October, 2015, 06:47 PM
Concerning the BMW. The last 7 of the vin is GS81357 not GS81350. As to the Range Rover, I have never had to find the vin with one of them, so I can't help you with it. You may struggle to get help from many on here as I don't think it is on Tachosoft! Arthur.

Thanks Arthur, I was under the impression that people went in with a hex editor and worked it all out (like I'm trying to do!)

I guess there is no easy way then, I'll have to wait a few weeks for my programmer and examine the hex of my cluster & replacement cluster and go it alone :(

dashradio
23rd October, 2015, 08:23 PM
It is easier if you start with a known Vin & dump, then it becomes easier from there.

markw996
23rd October, 2015, 08:39 PM
It is easier if you start with a known Vin & dump, then it becomes easier from there.

Thanks, will do.

I have the VINs from both clusters so it shouldn't be too difficult to determine (especially as I used to decode car radios from hex dumps for a living a very long time ago!)

I can always play around with the programmer and see whether the VIN actually changes whilst I have one cluster on my workbench.