PDA

View Full Version : Firmware 2.40 withdrawn

sorceror
3rd July, 2008, 09:31 PM
'The official PlayStation forums (via Kotaku) are exploding today after the recent and long-awaited 2.40 firmware update for the PlayStation 3 hit consoles with some added surprises.

Owners of every model of PS3 are reporting problems ranging from the small -- microphone's cutting out -- to the monumental -- consoles remaining frozen at the initial wave screen. In response, Sony has taken down the update for the time being and made an update to their knowledge center post for the 2.40 boss with the following text:

"UPDATE: 7/2/2008, the PlayStation 3 system software version 2.40 has been temporarily taken offline and will not be available for download as our engineers examine any possible issues with this update. The Knowledge Center will be updated with information as it becomes available; please check back here for further details."

Before they took action, Sony PR director Patrick Seybold told Joystiq they are "looking into it right now and will work with those customers [to] directly address any issues they may be experiencing."

Unfortunately, the only currently known fix for those with a non-operational system is a save game-erasing hard drive reformat. One could always transfer saves over to another media device prior to reformat, but the only other option at this time is sending it in to Sony for a $150.00 repair. Given Seybold's comments, presumably Sony will be working out other fixes for systems that were broken with the update soon.

As we reported earlier, the massive update includes an in-game Cross-Media Bar, the much talked about Trophy system, and many more features. We'll update with further info when the 2.40 update goes back online.'

Only had trouble with voice chat myself, but i thought that was my internet connection.

Raven
4th July, 2008, 01:16 AM
Good job I didn't have my modem plugged into the PS3 for to catch the dodgy update lol. Mind you I have to say that if any update was going to be problematic it had to be this one, sods law value because it's the one most PS3 owners were looking forward to the most, and technical value because it was the update which at least on the face of it added the most stuff.

Sony states it's a minority of people affected - so that basically means you were lucky if you installed it and got away with it scott free......but I do find it strange how from one PS3 to the next this update creates different problems ranging from minor to full on bricking the machine to the point where a hard drive format is required therefor losing ALL data that was previously on it.....that's strange to me that one update causes different problems ranging in severity on people's consoles.

In any case a lesson indirectly learned for me in future is to hang fire on installing any updates for a few days just so I can be sure the update hasn't been pulled by Sony due to problems such as this update is seeing.

pacman362
4th July, 2008, 07:54 AM
Well im on 2.36 and im glad they cought this quickly before everyone had the problem..

BlueMotion
4th July, 2008, 11:36 AM
I manage to grab the update before they removed it and thankfully it works fine on my ps3.

randomuser83
11th July, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yea same here. What exactly was the problem with the update.