PDA

View Full Version : Best Xenon kit for my car, can you help ?

Saltire
18th November, 2015, 11:42 PM
As the title suggests, I want to upgrade the headlights on my car to Xenon lighting.

It is a Dec 2005 (55) plate Vauxhall Vectra SRi C, (the facelift model), I have added a photo of a random car from the internet that is just the same as it so that you can see exactly what model it is.

I want to get the very brightest white ones, not any that have tinted colours, I just want the brightest dazzling bright white as bright a possible.

Do the kits come for the full beam and dipped beam or what ?, I have no idea how they work as its something I haven't got before. ??

I dont need instructions as I would most likely ask a mate to fit them for me that knows what they are doing.

So, could someone please guide me to exactly what I need please, please post up some direct web links to the exact things I need and then
I can just go ahead and purchase the kit, they dont have to be the cheapest buy as sometimes cutting corners doesnt work, but it depends on
what you guys say.

I hope someone can help as I am ready to buy, thanks :)

Saltire
19th November, 2015, 05:33 PM
Anyone in the know please ?

Saltire
20th November, 2015, 03:44 PM
anyone know ??

plasma533
20th November, 2015, 06:38 PM
The latest fad in HID lighting is a company called London Colour hids

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330379335700?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ebay item

make sure you get canbus friendly ones/cancellors and make sure you get your 'xenon' function activated within the UEC as that will help to prevent any flicker and shutdown (which is the job of the cancellors)

I think the brightest light output without any blue tinge to them are 5k... oem are 4.3k (or 4300k)

You can buy different kits dependant upon where you want to fit them... I dont recommend them for highbeam, just your normal driving lights.. You can also get them for the fog lights if you want as well... just need to know the bulb type ie (h3 for fobs i think)

Saltire
21st November, 2015, 12:35 AM
The latest fad in HID lighting is a company called London Colour hids

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330379335700?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ebay item

make sure you get canbus friendly ones/cancellors and make sure you get your 'xenon' function activated within the UEC as that will help to prevent any flicker and shutdown (which is the job of the cancellors)

I think the brightest light output without any blue tinge to them are 5k... oem are 4.3k (or 4300k)

You can buy different kits dependant upon where you want to fit them... I dont recommend them for highbeam, just your normal driving lights.. You can also get them for the fog lights if you want as well... just need to know the bulb type ie (h3 for fobs i think)

Thanks for that mate :) but I had a look at the link etc and I still dont have a clue what I should be ordering for my requirments, hmmm :questionmark:, I'm not an auto electrician or anything but like I said earlier I do have a couple of mates that would know how to fit them easy, I just need to know exactly what to order as I'm very very unsure.

plasma533
21st November, 2015, 01:03 AM
Go for this kit..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-ERROR-FREE-35W-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-HB4-3-/370440024720?

they include the cancellors as well, so no need to have the UEC programmed... You want the H7 bulb kit...

Saltire
21st November, 2015, 07:19 AM
Go for this kit..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-ERROR-FREE-35W-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-HB4-3-/370440024720?

they include the cancellors as well, so no need to have the UEC programmed... You want the H7 bulb kit...

thanks for that mate :) I will post up again if any probs or I will pm ya, cheers man :)

P.s, @ JoK, nah mate, I have had the car since new very nearly 10 years old now and it has full dealership service history and mostly all Genuine Vauxhall parts and work done etc, also has a low mileage too, its pretty minted (he says whilst touching wood for luck, lol).
Would be stupid to get rid of it just now unless repairs forced me into that situation.

alessioblaupunkt
21st November, 2015, 06:01 PM
Agree with JoK.
If your OEM headlight lights like a christmas candle here are the reasons:

1) Headlight plastic cooked by sun
2) Poor ground
3a) Cooked relay contacts
3b) Burnt light switch contacts (if no relay present)

Solution
1) Change headlights
2) Fit large ground from chassis to gearbox
3a) Change relay
3b) Install a relay

Cut the positive wire that goes from the switch to the headlight

87 Contact of relay goes to the wire cutted (headlights side)
30 Contact of relay goes to the battery via a 15 amps fuse
86 Contact of relay (+coil) goes to the wire cutted (light switch side)
85 Contact of relay (-coil) goes to ground

plasma533
22nd November, 2015, 01:44 AM
Its a known fact vectra headlights are very poor...

If headlight washers are not fitted they cannot be failed, if fitted they must be working. Same as for self-levelling. But the OP has standard headlights. So to improve the light output quality people change the halogen bulbs to OEM. I can comment on this vehicle quite confidently as been dealing with the vectra c since it was released...

Saltire
23rd November, 2015, 06:36 PM

If headlight washers are not fitted they cannot be failed, if fitted they must be working. Same as for self-levelling. But the OP has standard headlights. So to improve the light output quality people change the halogen bulbs to OEM. I can comment on this vehicle quite confidently as been dealing with the vectra c since it was released...

Ahh, thanks for that mate :) , yes I was thinking about that too, my car doesnt have washer sprays on the lights right enough and yes by going with what I read about my model of car on nearly all car websites it does seem very very common indeed that they all have very dim lights.

I would have though that I just get one of the better types of bulbs and a matching kit and have someone wire it up for me, no ??

I was maybe thinking the worst that could happen is I need to take the car down to the local mot station to get them to check the light levels once the new bulbs are installed, but I wonder if I would actually need to do that as it is just a bulb change, is it not ?

Also I see you mention an "OEM" bulb, whats that mate ? please tell, I want to get the very brightest white ones, not any that have tinted colours, I just want the brightest dazzling bright white as bright a possible.

If you know exactly the full kit I need then please tell and then I could order it and have a mate fit it, direct links to the kit or items would be most helpful mate as I dont have a clue to be honest.

Its not so much me that bothers with the dull lights much, its the mrs always moaning about it, but yes they are dull, I have to admit that, not dull like alternator or battery or connections dull, just dull in general, they
have been like that years n years.

Used to use the dip beam with the two lower bumper spot lights (driving lamps) switched on, that made a big difference in brightness and then years ago one of them went faulty so it meant I couldnt use them and that was that,
those little spots are something like ?80 each from vauxhaull I believe, very expensive for my pocket but they did help :(

p.s, they aint self/auto levelling headlights either, all it has is the little control switch down on the dash that allows you to adjust the tilt of the headlamps up n down I think thats only if your carrying a heavy load which I never am, so that just sits at 0 I think it is.

Saltire
24th November, 2015, 10:14 PM

You coming back to tell us then mate, please ?

plasma533
24th November, 2015, 10:25 PM
Go for this kit..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XEN.../370440024720? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-ERROR-FREE-35W-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-HB4-3-/370440024720?)

That kit should do you as previously posted.. It what the guys use on the forum I'm on which deal with vectras..

if you want some for the fog light bulbs let me know and I'll find out which bulb kit you need..

plasma533
24th November, 2015, 10:31 PM
Another alternative (much more costly), is to retrofit Xenon headlights.... Depends if your handy with wiring... Needs a couple of extra earths adding to the plugs... The manual adjuster in the car wont work at all with that but I've not come across an MOT tester that checks that yet...

Saltire
25th November, 2015, 01:20 AM
Go for this kit..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XEN.../370440024720? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-ERROR-FREE-35W-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-HB4-3-/370440024720?)
That kit should do you as previously posted.. It what the guys use on the forum I'm on which deal with vectras..
if you want some for the fog light bulbs let me know and I'll find out which bulb kit you need..

thanks for the help/replies and yes mate, I would be interested in getting the lower bumper spots renewed too thanks if you could help ?

I mentioned that one of them went faulty few years ago and it got to the extent it kept blowing the bulb and the garage ended up say
that the spot would need replaced (not just the bulb), so I guess I would be after two new complete spot lamps for the lower bumper.

If its any help the car is exactly the same colour of silver as the one in the earlier photo I posted on this thread.

p.s, regard to the headlights, I see you say the H7 Bulb kit, what colour though ? I just want the brightest dazzling bright white as bright a possible, I think
I read your post earlier saying the 5K or the 4300K, which one is best white bright out of both though mate ? (I dont want a blue tint, you know what I mean ?)

p.p.s
do the h7 bulbs we speak of do both the full beam and dip beam too , is it the same single bulb that works both beams ? I dont know because I have never personally
changed any bulb on my car apart from rear indicators, Lol, most of my driving at night is done just with dip beam, but sometimes full beam too especially in the
winter like we are just now.

oops, forgot about this too >>>

Another alternative (much more costly), is to retrofit Xenon headlights.... Depends if your handy with wiring... Needs a couple of extra earths adding to the plugs... The manual adjuster in the car wont work at all with that but I've not come across an MOT tester that checks that yet...

can you give me a link for these for my car please mate ? or are they really any better in your opinion to the kit you mentioned previously, bearing in mind that I just want the brightest dazzling bright white light as bright a possible, know what I mean.

plasma533
25th November, 2015, 09:47 PM
the h7's just do the dipped beam... there is another type which does full beam

fog light bulbs are h3 type..

5k bulbs should do you.. 4.3k can be a bit yellow like halogen

Saltire
26th November, 2015, 12:02 AM
the h7's just do the dipped beam... there is another type which does full beam
fog light bulbs are h3 type..
5k bulbs should do you.. 4.3k can be a bit yellow like halogen

What happens to the full beam then mate ? I thought both the dip and full beams worked from the same single bulb like a double element or something like that ?
If the full beam dont work then that would be an mot failure, can you tell me what exactly happens mate ?

For all I know maybe there is two seperate bulbs in the actual headlight, as I said earlier, I dont know as I have never even went near them.

please let me know a.s.a.p cheers.

p.s, I was saying that one of the actual spot lights is defo knackered mate, so I would need to renew both complete units (not just bulbs), the price in vauxhall
is mad though for them, could you please give me a direct link to buying them left and right side, the complete units, and hopefully they are
brand new and genuine Vauxhall parts or just as good as ? thanks again. would it be these or do you have a better idea mate >>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141078024144?clk_rvr_id=937649014299&rmvSB=true (dont think those have included bulb holders and bulbs though, I would
prefer to have everything to save any hassle)

Saltire
27th November, 2015, 04:39 PM
@Plasma533, hello again mate, could you please just confirm those things I speak about in my last post (19) before this one so that I can get everything ordered mate, please ?

(I should say "or anyone else that knows about my type of car and the lights we have been discussing until now")

bump bump Saturday 28th Nov 2015 7am, someone must be able to confirm the things I need to know surely ?
I wouldnt keep going on about it but its just that I want to order a.s.a.p.

plasma533
28th November, 2015, 06:24 PM
its smee again, been busy... and another pc reformat..

main beam and dipped beam are two different bulbs.. cant remember what type of bulb for main beam at the moment, but can find out...

the foglights, they only do one type for the facelift which should be the ones you found on ebay..

I would suggest not to fit hid to the main beam because when you use them as a 'flasher' they wont have time to fully light up.. If you watch closely at HIDs you'll see they flare up brightly (as they strike), go dimmer and then go to full brightness..

Saltire
29th November, 2015, 08:50 AM
ok mate cheers, I will go ahead and order what you said and hope that its ok, I wont be fitting the stuff, but someone else will do it for me, so I guess we shall see, hope they all work fine.

after messing with all the lights will i have to take it to the mot guy to get the lights checked do ya know ?

plasma533
29th November, 2015, 12:59 PM
may need the aim sorted out but most places with do that for about ?10 or even free if you go there for your MOTs all the time