PDA

View Full Version : Adding a wireless router to wired LAN

boothuk
11th August, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I'm currently looking into implementing a wireless router which will enable inspectors at my work place to wireless piggyback the networks internet connection.

Is it possible? Would I need to have a computer connected to the network at all times to do this?

The problem is, our IT division wont allow us to us wireless networking as apparantly it's not secure enough. However, my immediate boss in my division wants to implement this and the nearest available phoneline to install our own dedicated internet connection isnt in a feasible location.

Any ideas? Cheers.

beady
13th August, 2009, 06:25 PM
It's definitely possible to do, and you could probably get away with just a standard cable wireless router plugged into your network (into the 'Internet' port). However, I wouldn't recommend it. If the IT guys are concerned about it, then I wouldn't go behind their backs. As an ex IT guy myself, you don't want to piss them off.

If they're worth their salt though, they'll be able to set up a private network for you just for the dedicated wireless network, which is essentially separate from the business internal network, and therefore secure.

lja_gi
14th August, 2009, 10:48 PM
Use an Wireless access point and plug into a spare network port...Unless they have some sort of Port Security...

But as beady said i wouldnt go behind there backs..

If there are using Cisco Networking Equipment they could implament on a different VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network)

boothuk
19th August, 2009, 12:21 PM
It's not really going behind their back. I am the IT officer for the site. It's just that they won't support a wireless network on there. They're base up in Scotland.

The server room is right at the front of the building and down stairs, not really a valid point for putting a wireless router considering we're up and at the back. Probably 50 metres away.

Can I not just used a stand alone workstation that is perminently connected to the network upstairs and use a router from there?

Cheers.

lja_gi
19th August, 2009, 08:37 PM
You can use a network switch up there conencted to your network..Do they just wont to connect to the internet or access network resources?

ern121
1st September, 2009, 11:45 PM
If I read right your phone line is in the server room and you want ur wireless elsewhere? you could route the phone line through the cat5. Unscrew the front faceplate on the phone socket, cut one end of a patch lead and then krone (punch down) the Blue/white and white/blue to 2 and 5 on the front faceplate of the phone socket then plug the RJ45 end of the patch lead into a spare port on the patch panel. At the Cat5 socket you will need a balun to convert the cat5 socket to a phone socket and then filter and plug in your router. Hope that makes sense to you and helps you out m8,
Ern ;p

analogman
2nd September, 2009, 12:27 AM
It shouldn't be hard at all, alot of businesses don't even check for this kind of thing.