PDA

View Full Version : Router problem

macmackem
12th August, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hope someone can help.

I have Sweex router connected hardwired to my main PC at home(XP operating system), both my daughters have laptops running with XP also.
I am on VM broadband at the moment.
Until recently both the laptops found the router wirelessly no problem and could get internet access, now both the laptops cannot connect to the internet via my router, they both are accessing through a Belkin router which I am assuming belongs to next door, I have searched for my router on both laptops but neither can find it.
If I switch the main PC and both laptops off and start up the laptops with my PC still off they find my router and get access to the internet via my router, then when I switch on my PC, my PC cannot get access to the internet and vice versa if the PC is switched on first it gets access but the laptops fail on my router but connect to the Belkin.
This is doing my brain in, plus my girls are giving me a hard time, any suggestions.
PS I have taken the router to my brother in laws and connected to his VM broadband, took on of the laptops with me and it connected to the router straight away, his laptop also connected no bother.

nevovx
13th August, 2009, 10:54 PM
Did you by any chance change any settings on the router itself. try resetting the router and take it from there if you havent done so. Only possibility comes to my mind is router limiting the number of connection as how you described it so maybe a reset might fix it.

lja_gi
14th August, 2009, 10:50 PM
Have you changed any configuration on the admin page of the router? Have alook if you are broadcasting the SSID and most of all ensure that you have either a WEP or WAP encryption so know one can log onto your network :)

macmackem
18th August, 2009, 08:58 AM
Nevox / lja-gi
How do I check if the router is limiting the number of connections and check if its broadcasting SSID.
Checked the IP address's of the computer and laptops last night, dont know if this will help

Laptop 1. (XP)
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix..........:Belkin
IP Address......................................:192. 168.2.4
Subnet Mask...................................:255.255.25 5.0
Default Gateway..............................:192.168.2.1

Laptop 2 (Vista)
Link-Local IPv6 Address....:fe80::dc58:d2b3:ca94:5afc%9
IPv4 Address...................................:192.168 .2.6

Tunnel 1 adapter Local Area*6:
Media State.....................................Media Disconnected
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix..........:

Tunnel 1 adapter Local Area*7:
Link-Local IPv6 Address....:fe80::5efe:192.168.2.6.%12
Default Gateway..............................:

Main PC Address
IP Address...................................:82.10.1 30.219
Subnet Mask...................................:255.255.25 2.0
Default Gateway..............................:82.10.128.1

lja_gi
19th August, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hey Macmackem i can see straight away that the main PC Address is picking up an IP address which is not part of your network. Is that pc connected to another network?

Also in order to see if you are limiting mac address or broadcasting ssid you have to log into your router admin page normally the address is http://192.168.2.1

cunny
20th August, 2009, 12:15 AM
He is getting differant IP's due to the fact that the 2 laptops are connecting to a Belkin Router that he does not own.

On the back of the router there will be a reset button, hold that in for 10-30 seconds to do a full reset of the router. Also unplug the modem for 2-5 mins.

Next hopefully your home network shoud go like this Modem-router-pc wired-2 laptops wireless. If its not then change it to it.

Use an encryption other than WEP as WEP only supports 4 devices so basically what ever your router/devices will support.

After doing a reset you will need to log into the router to set the above from the wired pc (open internet browser and enter correct IP Address usually 192.168.2.1. or 192.168.1.1.)

Also google just returned this page when searching for weex router config:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/31457-sweex-router-with-blueyonder.html

halometal
19th March, 2010, 03:10 PM
Nevox / lja-gi
How do I check if the router is limiting the number of connections and check if its broadcasting SSID.
Checked the IP address's of the computer and laptops last night, dont know if this will help

Laptop 1. (XP)
IP Address......................................:192. 168.2.4

Laptop 2 (Vista)
IPv4 Address...................................:192.168 .2.6

Tunnel 1 adapter Local Area*6:
Media State.....................................Media Disconnected

Tunnel 1 adapter Local Area*7:
Link-Local IPv6 Address....:fe80::5efe:192.168.2.6.%12
Default Gateway..............................:

Main PC Address
IP Address...................................:82.10.1 30.219
Subnet Mask...................................:255.255.25 2.0
Default Gateway..............................:82.10.128.1

Hi, I can see that your pc is connected thru a private network ip. You will need to disconnect from this before obtaining an ip from your home router.

Halometal :devil: