PDA

View Full Version : Freesat News: More HD channels on Freesat's agenda

caveman_nige
12th August, 2009, 03:00 PM
Freesat has called for more broadcasters to launch high definition channels on free-to-air digital satellite.

When it was launched back in May 2008, the Freesat EPG carried BBC HD and has since added ITV's red button HD service to its lineup. Freesat trade marketing manager James Atkins told Digital Spy that one of the "key benefits" of the platform is the fact that it offers subscription free HD services for the one-off cost of purchasing a set top box.

Around 70 hours of HD content are currently available on Freesat every week, but Atkins said that there is "always the desire to have more". To this end, the platform is "constantly working" with channels to see how they can bring more HD propositions onto Freesat.

Last month, Freesat temporarily carried a high definition simulcast of BET for this year's BET Awards.

In response to the death of Michael Jackson, the awards ceremony became a tribute to the pop star, which BET wanted to show in HD. Therefore, Freesat set up a temporary HD channel on the EPG to air the ceremony.

He added: "So we are very much actively building with our channels to say 'come on guys, 80% of our sales are for HD products, there are 15 million HD TVs sold in the UK and there is a big appetite for HD. You guys need to be stepping up to the plate and putting some stuff on in HD'. So that is something that we are actively getting involved in."

The Freesat platform has grown to over 140 channels since its launch and also offers features such as Red Button interactivity and, on Freesat+ boxes, timeshifting. According to Atkins, this means that it "may not be one of the most cutting edge TV platforms, but it is certainly one of the most affordable".

He explained: "I think what is important to remember is that often comparisons are drawn between us and Sky because we are very similar in the way we use the signal. Sky has 33 HD channels but you pay ?70 or so to access them. It is a similar service but we remind people that there is no subscription with Freesat, once you've bought the box that's it.

"We do compete with a fantastic platform and I think Sky is very good at what it does. They have a lot of money and they use that money to acquire HD channels which we simply cannot do. So it's a constant battle but it is one that we are very committed to and we are always looking to increase our HD content."

As announced last week, ITV plans to launch a high definition simulcast of ITV1 on Freeview. It is also currently "looking at the options" in regards to ITV1 HD on Freesat, where ITV's HD programming is currently offered as a red button-only service as opposed to a distinct channel or simulcast.

In response to this announcement, Atkins said that the free-to-air satellite platform would hope to carry a similar distinct ITV1 HD channel as is destined for Freeview.

"I think that we would expect to receive a full simulcast of ITV1 in high definition, although there is no commitment at this stage," he said. "But as it's from a public service broadcaster then we would expect it to become available."

In terms of Freesat carrying HD coverage of the World Cup tournament next year in South Africa, Atkins said that the platform is "subservient to the channels in terms of this sort thing".

"If they elect to put up a channel in HD then we have the opportunity to put it on Freesat HD, the same being true for ITV1 HD," he added. "But I think that the broadcaster will be very keen to have high definition for the World Cup and it makes sense that this comes to Freesat."

Source:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a170883/more-hd-channels-on-freesats-agenda.html

mollinabob
10th October, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have purchased a Labgear HDSR300 sat receiver and can receive some channels OK but many (the ones I wanted to view in HD are "scrambled" How do I receive these channels unscrambled?

The scambled channels are shown with a prefix of "$":hmmmm2:

manxspud
10th October, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have purchased a Labgear HDSR300 sat receiver and can receive some channels OK but many (the ones I wanted to view in HD are "scrambled" How do I receive these channels unscrambled?

The scambled channels are shown with a prefix of "$":hmmmm2:

To the best of my knowledge this box was made for free sat, so that is all you will get. There is no way of viewing the scrambled channels with it.

@manx

Dolphin 6
28th October, 2010, 12:35 AM
BBC1 HD is launching on 3rd Nov 2010, test card now showing.

Coming up as Ch 6941 at the moment.

Astra 28.2E
Freq 10847
V

D

dmdigi
28th October, 2010, 02:38 AM
Here's the channel numbers for BBC1 HD when it starts to transmit: Freesat: 109, Sky: 169, Freeview: 54, V / Media: 187.

alunfennell
28th October, 2010, 03:50 AM
And that's all there will be ITV 1 HD, BBC 1 HD, and the BBC HD channel on Freesat seeing as ITV 2, 3 & 4 all sold there soles to the Devil that being Sky and can only be watched Via subscription to Sky.

Why on earth anybody would by a Freesat HD receiver for basically two- three HD channels with nothing more due in the pipeline of any note.

ITV have made a joke out of Freesat by not giving there new HD channels to the platform but rather sign them over the Sky for a premium.

Even Film4 HD will not become available to freesat they signed it over to Virgin Media.

All that was promised from Freesat from the start has been virtually torn up and thrown away, in this day and age if a company like the BBC and ITV set up a platform such as freesat one would expect they would put all of there available channels onto it and not give them to a pay operator to sell ....

A platform with only 2-3 HD channels is never going to be much of a draw with consumers, especially when most people have HD tv sets in there living rooms , Again the only ones to win are Sky ......

excollier
29th October, 2010, 02:27 PM
And that's all there will be ITV 1 HD, BBC 1 HD, and the BBC HD channel on Freesat seeing as ITV 2, 3 & 4 all sold there soles to the Devil that being Sky and can only be watched Via subscription to Sky.

Why on earth anybody would by a Freesat HD receiver for basically two- three HD channels with nothing more due in the pipeline of any note.

ITV have made a joke out of Freesat by not giving there new HD channels to the platform but rather sign them over the Sky for a premium.

Even Film4 HD will not become available to freesat they signed it over to Virgin Media.

All that was promised from Freesat from the start has been virtually torn up and thrown away, in this day and age if a company like the BBC and ITV set up a platform such as freesat one would expect they would put all of there available channels onto it and not give them to a pay operator to sell ....

A platform with only 2-3 HD channels is never going to be much of a draw with consumers, especially when most people have HD tv sets in there living rooms , Again the only ones to win are Sky ......

And Sky have the audacity to complain about the BBC...