PDA

View Full Version : DM600 Network Performance

harmonic
12th August, 2009, 06:02 PM
On a FTP transfer over wired network my clone DM600PVR only gets about 220kB/s which is probably affecting my ability to stream to Xbox/tuxbox client and web telly etc..

Changing MTU to 1452 and 570 barely changes things (a little faster perhaps). On my network switch, the port connected to Dreambox has constant activity.

Does anybody else have poor network performance? Could the constant activity be affecting performance? Is there a capacitor mod like for other devices?

Would be good know people's experiences.

Regards to all.

H

harmonic
13th August, 2009, 03:56 AM
I've analysed network traffic from the DM600 and there are indeed lots of errors and retransmissions of TCP segments which must be affecting speed.

Transfer of file using FTP to the DM600 is about 8 times faster than if I download a from it. So I could probably stream to the Dreambox without any problems....no use to me though.

H

harmonic
18th August, 2009, 02:39 AM
Any DM600 users out there? Let me know your network speeds and see if we can get this sorted.

H

harmonic
9th September, 2009, 09:53 AM
Does anybody know if the same capacitor mod can be done for the 600 as exists for the 500?

harmonic
22nd September, 2009, 01:17 AM
I ordered some capacitors...noticed that the 220 yF one is already in...don't know if the little ones are the same value as the DM500 and are causing the problem.

H

tups
22nd September, 2009, 09:53 AM
On a FTP transfer over wired network my clone DM600PVR only gets about 220kB/s which is probably affecting my ability to stream to Xbox/tuxbox client and web telly etc..
H

Can I ask how you worked out the connection speed? I am having trouble streaming from my DM500 and suspect a dodgy network connection but dont know how to test the connection speed.

Thanks

harmonic
23rd September, 2009, 01:09 AM
Nothing special. Just observing FTP file transfer speeds to and from the box over wired network.

This thread is about DM600. DM500 network problems are well documented. Google network fix and capacitor mod.

H

harmonic
26th September, 2009, 03:22 PM
Though I know DM600 has not taken a hold with the end user yet, there appears to be very few existing users experiencing this problem. The only info I can find is that it is due to a bad clone. The large electrolytic capacitor near the ASIX chip is a lower value than the modded DM500 capacitor. I can't tell what the value of the surface mount caps is as they are unmarked.

It seems to be a minor fault, so there must be a fix for this issue? I will see if LinuxSat can resolve it (though I have posted to their forums already).

The outcome of this is that I will have to buy another box for upstairs, so the money saved from getting a clone has been wiped out and ended up more expensive. Will buy original in future.

H

scousemicky
27th September, 2009, 06:14 AM
I'm in exactly the same situation m8.

I've tried 3 different routers, no luck.

Funny thing is....it's happy as Larry sending via crossover cable directly connected to PC.

Thats no good to me though, I need it to work via a router.

Duck1205
29th September, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm in exactly the same situation m8.

I've tried 3 different routers, no luck.

Funny thing is....it's happy as Larry sending via crossover cable directly connected to PC.

Thats no good to me though, I need it to work via a router.

I have exatly the same problem, if anybody comes up with a solution let me know.

harmonic
30th September, 2009, 05:38 AM
Tx speed of dreambox changes depending what it's connected to. Seems like an impedance issue.

tups
30th September, 2009, 10:42 AM
Are these problems only happening with clones or originals as well?

harmonic
30th September, 2009, 01:03 PM
Only clones and likely not all clones.

harmonic
4th October, 2009, 11:24 PM
Bought another net switch and can now confirm the box is in Half Duplex mode explaining the speed problems. I'm now sure it is due to fault with bad clone that forcing the connection to half duplex. Waiting for replacement unit.

H