PDA

View Full Version : Dreambox 8000 with Triax switch

Star Bar
13th August, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hi all, wonder if you can help.

I'm struggling to understand how the Triax multiswitch works with a multiple tuner receiver.

The goal here is to have access to multiple satelittes on both sat tuners in a DM8000 and be able to record 2 chanels at once from different satelites.

If I use a static dish with 4 LNBs (triax) and a multiswitch does this emulate a motorised dish by allowing a single feed from 1 LNB at a time or does this allow simultaneous feeds from multiple satelites to 2 tuners?

I'm new to this but just trying to get my setup right first time so sorry if I'm way off the mark here!

Thanks

firestorm
13th August, 2009, 12:42 PM
if you are new to this i would think twice about getting a dm8000 as they are not for beginers and very expensive,The dm8000 has two tunners in fact it can have up to 4 but only has 1 hard drive so can only recored 1 channel while it will allow you too whatch another ,
A name for a Triax multiswitch is a discq this means you can control an LNB switch for up to four satellites, simply by the receiver sending a tone pulse through the coax cable to the switch the sat dish would have to have 4 lnbs which means the sat your looking at would have to be close togther ie 10e,13e,16e,19e you would only be able to see 1 of these sat at atime on tunner A then would have to do the same with 4 other sat on tunner B,You could also have a quad lnd that is a single lnb with 4 outputs this would allow you to view one program and record another on the same transponder

Star Bar
13th August, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ah, didn't realise I could only record one feed at a time, I assumed this would behave like a standard sky+ box where you could record 2 channels on the same transponder at the same time to a single disk. Rats.

In regard to the 2 tuner issue, given the 4 x LNB setup & multiswitch could Tuner A record from say 13e while watching Tuner B that is pointing at 19e? (or am I still missing the point!)

If the goal was to record multiple streams at once, would I be better off with 2 x DM800HDs both recording to my NAS? I could then play this back via my popcorn or appletv.

Fanks…

PS. Nice pic..!