PDA

View Full Version : Just Joined so here the main question

kingmully
6th July, 2008, 03:41 PM
i have a cable running into my house before i moved in. What does this mean exactly? is the cable dead? Can i use this cable to use a reciever with and what do i do exactly.

Also what reciever is best for a noob and is it worth it?

Bulld0g
6th July, 2008, 04:03 PM
It could mean you have a live cable feed :) If thats the case you could hook it up to a number of different receivers. I would say easiest if you just want plug n play would probably be something like a starview box. Have a read through the forums m8 it will give you a better insight.

sherlock
6th July, 2008, 07:02 PM
i have a cable running into my house before i moved in. What does this mean exactly? is the cable dead? Can i use this cable to use a reciever with and what do i do exactly.

You can check to see if cable is live plugin a tv or vidio to the cable feed via the aerial socket, scan for chans you should get about 10ish but if you get zero then likely you have been cut off at the box.

However it is always prudent to subscribe to min package or broadband, this ensures a permenant connection.

Boxes avail are dreambox, dbox, itgate starview, eurovox and many more.

thommo
6th July, 2008, 07:08 PM

maybe you should have read your welcome pm first and introduced yourself before asking questions.

no body can answer your first question how would we know if it was live or dead? and as said you should subscribe to the min package at least then it will be live and the cc will be getting some income at least.

as for using a receiver answer is yes.

as for what to do with it theres plenty of threads worth having a read of to answer that, theres too much info to re-go over it in every post that asks.

best receiver? is there a best? personal choice but most go with a dreambox 500 as there one of the cheapest and best supported boxes.

finally is it worth it? question should be us asking you that, do you think it would be worth it?

kingmully
6th July, 2008, 08:20 PM
thanks thommo i did read through the forum but theres too much posts i got fed up but im sorry it was me being lazy.Thank u all for the replies.

thommo
6th July, 2008, 08:39 PM
sticky's are a good start, look here.

Guide: Flashing a Dreambox with Dreamup (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33)

seanduk
6th July, 2008, 09:40 PM
lick the cabe, that will let u know if is live :)

Bulld0g
6th July, 2008, 09:54 PM

Will it really ?

cantona7
6th July, 2008, 10:14 PM
something tells me you are not a sparky
im intuitive like that::idea:

kingmully
7th July, 2008, 02:21 AM
"You can check to see if cable is live plugin a tv or vidio to the cable feed via the aerial socket, scan for chans you should get about 10ish but if you get zero then likely you have been cut off at the box."

you mean use a normal tv which has a cable search abilty?

BTW does it matter where you buy a cable from for example can a dreambox 500c be ebayed from ireland and would it still work?
if so what about the dreamboxes selling from germany are these still ok to use as they quotes "debuged", ???? whats that mean?

thanks and sorry in advance if its somewhere in the forum

father ted
7th July, 2008, 05:22 AM
what they mean is if you have a telepest box inside yor house you could see if it was still live by connecting a cable from it to you tv
yep they all work its only the" image " that is differnet
if so what about the dreamboxes selling from germany are these still ok to use as they quotes "debuged", ???? whats that mean?
again yes dream the company are german but most 500c are all cloned now as dream have stopped producing 500 but they still work
debuged usually refers to the older dbox ,when you see in advert"box has been debugged"

thommo
7th July, 2008, 10:42 AM

now that first post is going to be hard to beat by anyone. :idea:

kingmully
7th July, 2008, 12:39 PM
ok just to keep this post going i actually did lick the cable (oooops) and i didnt feel anything at all plus i connected it to a tv and nothing so it looks like i have a dead cable. It explains the wierd attitude the previous tenant had when i asked him what this cable does.

diyAudio Forums - DIY Projectors (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=20)

kingmully
8th July, 2008, 02:23 PM
just used my bros cable router and it gave me internet so i guess thats a good sign ;)