PDA

View Full Version : Dismay

The Soulman
13th August, 2009, 08:35 PM
Well folks my eagerly awaited Open Media 500cs arrived today,
wasting no time I unpacked the unit and proceeded to connect it via scart lead to a spare TV that I have, I connected the mains power cable and switched the plug socket on, at this point I had not yet connected either a Satellite input nor a cable input (I have both) as my intention was to simply have a browse of the various menus and familiarise myself with them.

The box powered up ok going straight to the Green power light and the "Open Media" screen appeared, I navigated through a couple of the menus just to see what the various settings, etc looked like, as I was working my way through the menus the box stopped responding to the remote control and appeared to have frozen / locked up.

I proceeded to power down / disconnect the box from the mains for a couple of minutes before powering back up again, upon re-applying mains power the box did not power up or show either the stand by or power LED's, I tried powering the box on / off numerous times over the next Fifteen minutes or so, only to find that sometimes the box would either not power up at all, power up into stand by mode or power up and go straight to the Green "ON" status, during all of this the unit only gave a picture output to the TV Three times.

Also the unit when it did manage to power up only responded to the remote twice, first time was the initial out of the box power up and once more after that, both times the unit eventually locked up / froze and stopped responding to the remote as I navigated my way through the menus.

I contacted Skywonder were I purchased the box from and spoke to a guy who recommended that I e-mail there support team to organise a replacement, I did that straight away explaining all the problems I was experiencing just as I have above.
(Still awaiting a reply but I only e-mailed them this afternoon)

I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed with the build quality but having said that and being a realist for the price you should not expect too much, if the replacement unit works as it is supposed to I'll be happy enough to live with the less than Rolls Royce finish.

Question is, has anyone experienced anything similar with their OpenMedia 500cs either when new or after a period of time ?,

Regards,
The Soulman.

badboy123
13th August, 2009, 08:46 PM
Well every so often if I turn the box of from the mains and then turn the mains back on again, the box doesn't turn on, i.e no green light or anything...to solve this I have to turn the mains back off and then on again and all starts working as per usual...Other than that, nothing too major...

The Soulman
13th August, 2009, 08:57 PM
Well every so often if I turn the box of from the mains and then turn the mains back on again, the box doesn't turn on, i.e no green light or anything...to solve this I have to turn the mains back off and then on again and all starts working as per usual...Other than that, nothing too major...

During the time that I was trying to get the unit to power up I must have turned the mains switch / socket on and off Five or Six times before it eventually came on (Still not responding to remote control / appearing frozen / locked up).

Why would a set top box (Or any other electronic device for that matter) not power up or show any sign of mains power being applied when mains voltage is being supplied to it ?.

wilf
13th August, 2009, 09:02 PM
I havent experienced any of the problems that you have, i did however read every thread about this box before i purchased it. no it doesnt have the looks or the build of as you say a rolls royce but remember it is a cloned box and for around the 100 quid mark for 2 boxes in one it was as much as i could have expected. If there was 1 thing i would definately remember from my 2 weeks of research it was to make sure that the box was fully switched off at the mains prior to changing from the sat to cable side or viceversa and have read numerous times where peeps had crashed the box by not doing this, i did however copy 1 of the other posters (metalkettle) and i cant for the life of me find the thread it was in but who had a great idea of putting a switch from an old table lamp into the mains cable so that i didnt have to keep pulling the plug each time and its so much easier. also with this box i have noticed that it gets warm, so would make sure that it is well ventilated.

The Soulman
13th August, 2009, 09:14 PM
I havent experienced any of the problems that you have, i did however read every thread about this box before i purchased it. no it doesnt have the looks or the build of as you say a rolls royce but remember it is a cloned box and for around the 100 quid mark for 2 boxes in one it was as much as i could have expected. If there was 1 thing i would definately remember from my 2 weeks of research it was to make sure that the box was fully switched off at the mains prior to changing from the sat to cable side or viceversa and have read numerous times where peeps had crashed the box by not doing this, i did however copy 1 of the other posters (metalkettle) and i cant for the life of me find the thread it was in but who had a great idea of putting a switch from an old table lamp into the mains cable so that i didnt have to keep pulling the plug each time and its so much easier. also with this box i have noticed that it gets warm, so would make sure that it is well ventilated.

I agree 100% Wilf with regard to the build quality, I'm a realist and for the price the Open Media 500cs appears to be a very tempting option / alternative , as I've said I would be more than happy to live with the build quality if the unit as they say "Does what it says on the tin".
(I'll have to await the replacement to find out if it does.)

Also Wilf remember this unit is brand new out of the box today and considering my initial experiences / problems with it, coupled with the build quality, I must admit this has left me wondering if I've maybe made a mistake in opting to go down the Open Media 500cs route.

wilf
13th August, 2009, 09:19 PM
i pretty sure when you get new one you will be impressed with it soulman, you were just unlucky to get the bad one of the batch, at least skywonder have a good reputation with posters on here for getting these probs sorted out. good luck and hope your soon up and running

The Soulman
13th August, 2009, 09:26 PM
i pretty sure when you get new one you will be impressed with it soulman, you were just unlucky to get the bad one of the batch, at least skywonder have a good reputation with posters on here for getting these probs sorted out. good luck and hope your soon up and running

Ok Wilf, thanks for that.

So guys, has anyone else had anything similar to what I have described happen to their unit, in your guys experience, do the symptoms that I have outlined point to anything imparticular being at fault,

Regards,
The Soulman.

cloudnineuk54
14th August, 2009, 02:42 AM
mines working perfectly,and for the money its real value,picture quality is spot on,in fact the best box ive had,and i thought my dbox would take some beating,but this just edges it,im very happy with mine

EAMO 2
14th August, 2009, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=The Soulman;253995]Ok Wilf, thanks for that.

So guys, has anyone else had anything similar to what I have described happen to their unit, in your guys experience, do the symptoms that I have outlined point to anything imparticular being at fault,

Send it back
I bought 2 units flashed both with Dk 1.1 cable/sat
1unit was fine, had to replace CAP. in other (froze after flash)
The replacement cap. was far superior quality to origin. cap.
Basically you are buying a clone(inferior.quality) but priced reasonably
Better option get a Dream500c +a Dream500s, both are clones but quality
seems OK.& are so compact 2 DREAM not much bigger than 1 O.med.
Big drawback with O.med.; you must unplug unit to change cable/sat
and there is no power switch on unit. Sat/cable change switch is at rear of unit, not always ideal.:celticparty::manuscarf:

The Soulman
14th August, 2009, 08:14 PM
E-mailed Skywonder support yesterday afternoon and as of yet I'm still awaiting a reply, it does mention on their website that it can be 24 to 48hrs to receive a reply but I was sort of hoping that they would deal with this quickly as the unit was faulty straight out of the box.

Would there be any members on here connected with Skywonder who I could contact and maybe hurry things along a little as I'm eager to send this unit back and hopfully get my hands on a fully functional box ?,

Regards,
The Soulman

EAMO 2
15th August, 2009, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=The Soulman;

Would there be any members on here connected with Skywonder who I could contact and maybe hurry things along a little as I'm eager to send this unit back and hopfully get my hands on a fully functional box ?,

Not connected with S.W. but will be talking to Pritz on monday & will ask
him to check his mail. You could re-send e-mail & put after title
"Att. Pritz" that should speed it up. I would already have posted that box
to them, or if you're in Manchester area bring it round to them & pick up
replacement

The Soulman
15th August, 2009, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=The Soulman;

Not connected with S.W. but will be talking to Pritz on monday & will ask
him to check his mail. You could re-send e-mail & put after title
"Att. Pritz" that should speed it up. I would already have posted that box
to them, or if you're in Manchester area bring it round to them & pick up
replacement

Ok mate, thanks for that, I've re-sent the original e-mail with the "Att Pritz" heading, hopefully he'll be in touch soon, I haven't sent it back yet as I don't have their address, (Not on the website) and it says on their website to contact them first to raise an RMA number,

Regards,
The Soulman.

EAMO 2
16th August, 2009, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=The Soulman;255130][quote=EAMO 2;254991]

Ok mate, thanks for that, I've re-sent the original e-mail with the "Att Pritz" heading, hopefully he'll be in touch soon, I haven't sent it back yet as I don't have their address, (Not on the website) and it says on their website to contact them first to raise an RMA number,

Sure you'll be looked after. P.M. me if not.

.: JaCkPoT :.
18th August, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hows the story gone?

EAMO 2
18th August, 2009, 06:26 AM
Hows the story gone?

Soulman P.M.'d me last night to say Skywonder had contacted him about
replacing his faulty openmedia.

The Soulman
20th August, 2009, 12:16 AM
Hows the story gone?

I've come back to your post / question,
(I had to give them a chance to put matters right / sort the problem) and unfortunately, the
"Story" is still ongoing, but I'll give you a clue..........................I WONT be dealing with this lot again.

Apparently they're great.

(Unless you're returning something)

PM me for details.

Regards,
The Soulman.

owen7
20th August, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thought i'd post my findings after a couple of days ownership!

Mine is fcuked :( connected it upto TV, scart cable and all cable leads from Virgin box into Openmedia box, made sure it's set to Cable not Sat, switched onto Av channel on Tv and this screen comes up for about 10 secs then it goes blank for 15secs then it comes on again.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i30.tinypic.com/1qh7wo.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i30.tinypic.com/1qh7wo.jpg

It just repeats this, i try a press menu or anything on the remote but i get nothing on screen even though the red light flashes on the box :(

What a load of $hite, i feel like :bawling:

Bulld0g
20th August, 2009, 06:47 PM
Dont know if i'm missing something here but what do you mean by connected ALL cable leads from "virgin box" into Openmedia ?

You should have the cable feed into your box and a scart from the OM box into the tv, They're the only connections you need.

owen7
20th August, 2009, 08:35 PM
Dont know if i'm missing something here but what do you mean by connected ALL cable leads from "virgin box" into Openmedia ?

You should have the cable feed into your box and a scart from the OM box into the tv, They're the only connections you need.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, i should have said to make clear, scart lead and cab in lead.

Done that but the picture just goes blank after 10 secs like i said above, very strange i must have been sold a faulty one.

Bulld0g
20th August, 2009, 08:38 PM
Send it back m8. Had mine a couple of months now and i'm well impressed :)
TBH Hardly use the cable side anymore.

21st August, 2009, 01:40 AM
Owen7. Its a bad flash! Nothing wrong with the box. This exact thing did my head in when a first got my 500s. Flash a new image with dreamup.

alunfennell
21st August, 2009, 03:07 AM
That all it is id say ! they rushed the flash when it was been manufactured ! you will solve the problem by erasing the present flash and do it yourself ...

Regards:
Alun

owen7
21st August, 2009, 12:16 PM
Owen7. Its a bad flash! Nothing wrong with the box. This exact thing did my head in when a first got my 500s. Flash a new image with dreamup.

That all it is id say ! they rushed the flash when it was been manufactured ! you will solve the problem by erasing the present flash and do it yourself ...

Regards:
Alun

Hi guys,

I do hope you are right! i was very peeved off indeed when i hooked it up, i wondered wtf is going on here!!

So you think if i flash it again - which i've not managed to do yet but that's in another thread! it will actually work & everything will be as it should?

I just don't understand the picture coming and going every 10 secs or so plus the remote control not doing anything even though the IR red light flashes on box when pressed.

Apoligies for rambling on like :embarassed:

mo.p
21st August, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi guys,

I do hope you are right! i was very peeved off indeed when i hooked it up, i wondered wtf is going on here!!

So you think if i flash it again - which i've not managed to do yet but that's in another thread! it will actually work & everything will be as it should?

I just don't understand the picture coming and going every 10 secs or so plus the remote control not doing anything even though the IR red light flashes on box when pressed.

here m8 every thing in this link is u need to read this same 4 your box as well http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/guide-getting-best-your-500-series-dreambox-45848/

22nd August, 2009, 02:41 AM
Owen mate i had the exact same problem. Its a bad flash. The screen going on and off is the box trying its best to boot. Just get dreamup and flash a new image mate!

EAMO 2
23rd August, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hi guys,

You don't understand , because you didn't research linux before you
purchased box. Firstly you need to take advice from members who are trying to help you. Then read up on O. Media & Dream before you attempt
to flash your box. If LINUX is too much trouble for you I will gladly swop
2 cable-tuner boxes for your Open Media box

The Soulman
26th August, 2009, 12:35 PM
The story continues,
I e-mailed Skywonder support asking if the faulty Open Media 500cs had yet been received at their returns dept, the following was their reply,

"We have received the item.
Returns dept are looking into it. Seems ok but they will be keeping it for testing purposes and in the meantime a replacement will be arranged by them in the next few days".

They would appear to be saying that the unit is functioning perfectly. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
(Please see the begining of this thread)

I predict an attempt to wriggle out of the previously agreed refunding of the ?8.65 cost (To me) of posting the unit back to them as it was faulty / not fit for purpose when I received it brand new / out of the box.

As I type this, I am still awaiting a replacement unit Four full working days after Skywonder returns took delivery of the faulty unit.

Regards,
The Soulman.

27th August, 2009, 04:02 AM
Keep me up to date. The more feedback which is bad will stop our members running into trouble later.

The Soulman
27th August, 2009, 09:05 AM
Keep me up to date. The more feedback which is bad will stop our members running into trouble later.

No problem, I will eventually relate the full sorry saga, when it is finally over with.

In my opinion, the measure of how good a company is, is how it deals with any problems that might arise and, more importantly, how it handles / deals with the customer when addressing whatever the problem may be.

So far Skywonder, in my experience, (Returning a faulty item) are bad, really bad.

Regards,
The Soulman.

The Soulman
27th August, 2009, 10:12 PM
Yet another e-mail to Skywonder support has now gone unanswered for over 48 Hrs.
(The stated response time on their website)

Meanwhile I am still awaiting delivery of the promised replacement.

Regards,
The Soulman.

The Soulman
28th August, 2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, since this shower give me no information unless I contact them, I just tried to call them on the number listed on their website only to receive the following message,

"Sorry we could not take your call, please e-mail us at Skywonder etc, etc."
(I'm still awaiting replies to e-mails I sent to them over 3 days ago)

Today is the 7th working day since they received the faulty Open Media 500cs back at their retuns dept, and despite being promised a replacement quickly, (Two days from date of receipt of returned unit was mentioned) I am ?109 worse off and still without the item which was advertised and paid for,

Regards,
The Soulman.

The Soulman
31st August, 2009, 08:51 PM
Update.

After attempting to call them on Friday 28/08/09 (See above post) I was called back and spoke directly with a guy from Skywonder.
(Though not support)

I explained the current situation and asked him for a phone number for the support team
(They only provide an e-mail address on their website) so as I could talk to them directly / find out exactly were the hell my replacement box was / any update on the current status of the issuing of a replacement / how much longer I might have to wait.
(At that point, I had been waiting 7 working days since the day they received the faulty item back at their returns dept)

He asked me for a returns reference number which I duly provided, after apparently checking his computer he informed me that he had received a e-mail from the returns dept that very morning (I'm shocked :eek:) stating that the box was indeed faulty.
(Well, blow me down :eek:)

He promised to send the replacement out to me and would pay the extra cost of next day delivery on a Saturday.
(How long might I have waited for a replacement if I had not contacted them ??????)
The box duly arrived on Saturday and is now installed / up and running with the DK 1.1 cable image.
They have promised to this week, refund the cost to me (?8.65) of sending the faulty unit back to them.
(I did point out, rather strongly, in a previous e-mail to support, that, upon delivery to me, the item was "Not fit for purpose")
I must admit, they appear to be at least trying to atone for their
previously very shabby / unacceptable treatment of a paying customer (Me).

l will await receipt of the said refund and update the thread accordingly,

Regards,
The Soulman.

owen7
1st September, 2009, 01:10 PM
What a sorry saga that was :eek: i've been following this and i'm glad it's finally sorted (well nearly!) for you Soulman.

You've certainly been 'through' it! nothing worse than bad publicity on here - if/when i come to get a new box i'll be avoiding these cowboys like the plague!!

Thanks for the warning!

jfish
1st September, 2009, 04:27 PM
What a sorry saga that was :eek: i've been following this and i'm glad it's finally sorted (well nearly!) for you Soulman.

You've certainly been 'through' it! nothing worse than bad publicity on here - if/when i come to get a new box i'll be avoiding these cowboys like the plague!!

Thanks for the warning!

alrite mate, how is the box going.. no problems with my open media box at all .. very pleased with it

owen7
1st September, 2009, 09:02 PM
alrite mate, how is the box going.. no problems with my open media box at all .. very pleased with it

alrite jelly! yeah it was going ok thanks very much untill a few hours ago when all i get on turning it on is a thanks for choosing PLI Jade green welcome screen!

I'm not gonna shout for help just yet untill i get a chance to re-flash it, fingers crossed that solves it.

Overall very impressed though mate, apart from this minor glitch.

2nd September, 2009, 05:46 AM
You need to reflash mate, bad flash.

owen7
2nd September, 2009, 12:46 PM
You need to reflash mate, bad flash.

T'was strange though as it was working perfectly... then again that was before i arsed about in the settings and started pulling cables out!

I shall reflash it when i get the chance.