PDA

View Full Version : virgin three strikes and your out!!!

davemac82
6th July, 2008, 08:18 PM
anyone who uses bit torrent and has their internet supplied by VM this is a must read

BBC NEWS | Technology | Virgin territory for ISPs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7444390.stm)

these ass's are at it again they seem to like everyone better than their own customers LONG LIVE BIT TORRENT!

bugaloo41
7th July, 2008, 05:49 PM
Cant see a three strikes policy coming into play though.

VM can ill afford to lose any more customers and i get the impression that the letters which were sent out recently was akin to lip service to appease the BPI. So BitTorrents are perceived to be dodgey but newsgroups are ok!!

thebzzzzz
18th July, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah plus I hear they are thinking of giving binary newsgroup access with 7 day retention.

javaoverride
18th July, 2008, 11:16 PM
just switch to utorrent and use its protocol encription and random port settings ;)

TheDogsNutts
19th July, 2008, 12:02 AM
can they get you when your using newsgroups..?....

sanchez
19th July, 2008, 12:24 AM
Cant see a three strikes policy coming into play though.

VM can ill afford to lose any more customers and i get the impression that the letters which were sent out recently was akin to lip service to appease the BPI. So BitTorrents are perceived to be dodgey but newsgroups are ok!!

I believe this too, a contact that works for Virgin told me that they only intend to send 800 letters out. That doesn't sound like a real effort to me, I have also heard speculation that they will be providing content via bit torrent and peer to peer in order to nab users that take the files. Not sure how plausible that is really.

javaoverride
19th July, 2008, 12:46 AM
there currently trying to change the laws to force isp's to do more to stop copyrighted content

but you have got to remember there are lagitamate reasons to use torrents and p2p as long as you use encryption they cant tell wot our uploading/downloading

mrtell
27th July, 2008, 10:41 AM
can virgin media afford to target downloaders.........who would want 10 or 20 meg connections if all you can do is browse or game.......pointless

javaoverride
27th July, 2008, 11:00 PM
can virgin media afford to target downloaders.........who would want 10 or 20 meg connections if all you can do is browse or game.......pointless

there not targeting downloaders there targeting people who download copyrighted stuff

mrtell
28th July, 2008, 02:22 PM
there not targeting downloaders there targeting people who download copyrighted stuff

I said downloader......I dont consider someone who downloads game patches, wallpaper or other such paltry items as a Downloader.

LOL......come on !!! if its not copyrighted stuff WHO the hell wants to download it, 10 or 20 meg connection to browse, game or download none copyright material LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Can anybody tell me what NONE copyrighted material is worth downloading that constitutes having a 10 or 20 meg connection contracted for 12 months. !!!

Not that I would ever download copyright material......But there again i only have a 2 meg connection.
:rofl: