PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Examiner 1 HP Z5082B. Need Help, SW and cable !

carfreak
5th January, 2016, 04:26 PM
Hi Guys,
:single_eye:

I recently acquired a nice Fiat Examiner-set, including the machine, trolley, cables/hoses, misc transducers.
A nice toy for the hobby, I already have a 2-channel picoscope, but simply would like to play with this one :)
But unfortunately, I have some issues, hope someone can help/knows...: :stung:

1. The machine boots up with a CMOS battery-issue. So I did a 'load setup defaults' in the system bios (a lot of bogus things/values there), after which the machine booted, but it doesn't seem to see its DVOM and ICU/CAN card... At windows-boot the machine complains it doesn't see the card and suggests a SW reinstall. When going into the SW and checking versions of the ICU or DVOM I get blank version-windows, hinting a new SW-install may not be that bad of an idea... Also can't find which version is installed now.

I completely dismantled the machine and found no seperate CMOS-battery but just the (non-socketed) Dalles RTC-chip.
Does anyone know a trick for using an external battery or will one have to 'fix the dallas chip' (see google, modify the chip for an ext.battery..not how I would mean in my question) or replace the chip... (preferrably not).

Do I HAVE to fix the CMOS-issue for it to work, is that potentially the reason why it doesn't see the cards, or.. ? I could live with setting the time at the start and 1 or few event. bios-settings...
And does someone here have an examiner 1 and knows what bios=settings, related to the ISA-cards, are set to which levels on their system ?
Just for verification...

2. I didn't receive any CD's or floppy's with the machine. I understood the 5.40 SW-version seems to be the latest. I read someone in the fora here would have a copy of that ?
Officially one seems to need a floppy as well but understood that that would just be to get into DOS with loaded CD-ROM drivers so the CD-install can commence..
Having a booting system now with drivers, I could event. also get the system booting otherwise and with CD-ROM support..

3. I downloaded a version from the internet, 5.50, didnt' try to install but was told this wasn't suiteable for the Examiner 1 ?

4. I understood there's a recovery CD as well, and heard that the v1.0 of it would be the only examiner-1 suiteable version, correct ?

5. To re-install, do I have to first utilize the recovery-CD and the examiner-version on there, and then install the 5.40 from another CD, or can I install 5.40 directly over what I have now ?

6. I heard something about 'flash CD's'...Sounds like some firmware/driver/bios-update..?
Do I need that to get up-to-date for this machine-version, and if yes, which version ?

7. I have a number of transducers et all, but stupidly enough the EX-01 connection-cable is missing :( From what I heard this is the cable between the DVOM DB9 and the transducer-connectors (way more than 9 pins !? :) ), correct ?
Is this a passive cable ? Or does it have some kind of electronics, resistors, bridges or whatsever in it ?
If passive or close-to, does anyone have the pin-out and/or details ?? Or could point me to where I could get a cheap replacement ?

8. I was interested in the pin-out of the transducers, especially also the pressure-transducers and event. temp-transducers...would be nice if I could make some kind of conversion-cable, even if using seperate pins instead of a special male plug to connect to the transducer, so I could also use them with my picoscope (or other) ?

Can't imagine being the only one with that idea...did anyone try this c.q. have experience with it ?

Questions, questions.... Hope someone here can assist...

Thanks in advance !
:02.47-tranquillity:

Gyubrush
22nd February, 2016, 07:56 PM
Same problems here....

If someone could help would be appreciated!:burnout:

hotboard
24th February, 2016, 03:44 AM
hello dear
i have the same device with the same broblems
but i can help u with somethings
1- cmos battery low fix it with the black box which contain 4 pins 2 for time crystal and other 2 for lithium battery can open it and sold batery with wire from any laptop
2- i have recovery cd ver 1 and can i image it and upload and send you a link
and can send you hard disk image for toshiba 1 gbyte
but i have a problem i can't scan any car it give me message about no connection i guess software problem or cards problem
it give 1 in test version of vdom and vci
i ask if u can help in this case

hotboard
24th February, 2016, 05:16 AM
read this will help about cmos battery http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22000

hampster
15th November, 2022, 07:14 PM
Hi

I am after one of these units working or otherwise do you know anyone who has one.

Thanks