PDA

View Full Version : Converting KM to miles on North American Trucks.

Inspecta
5th January, 2016, 04:37 PM
I'm looking for help on converting Dodge GM and ford Trucks Dashes from Km to miles. I have a smelecom dashpro. Any help would be great!

hero112
6th January, 2016, 02:14 AM
were you able to figure it out?

hero112
6th January, 2016, 02:14 AM
I just bought one too, and i figured out how to do an 06-08 f150 but i need help with sierra? have you had any help yet

clusters
6th January, 2016, 02:22 AM
First you need to go here and introduce yourself:

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php/2-Introduce-Yourself

Then you could share how you did the F150 please? :)

What year Sierra and which body style.

clusters
6th January, 2016, 02:39 AM
I'm looking for help on converting Dodge GM and ford Trucks Dashes from Km to miles. I have a smelecom dashpro. Any help would be great!
What years of GM? 07-11 GMT900 you get a DIC switch and plug it in, all the trucks and clusters are capable and wired for it.

If doing on the bench, get a switch and wiring diagram and wire it to the cluster.

hero112
6th January, 2016, 02:56 AM
the problem with that will be that it will switch back to kms if the battery is removed and the customer won't have the DTC switch to switch it back

hero112
6th January, 2016, 03:01 AM
With the 08 f150 using the USAPROG, I used OBD and it gives you an option to save the BIN and I saved the original bin and used another bin (from an F150 that was already converted into miles) used that as the recovery bin and once that was on there. I just changed the mileage to the correct miles and I was done. I was hoping the same for the Sierra but it does not give an option to save the BIN or recover the bin.

clusters
6th January, 2016, 03:02 AM
Really? Didn't know that. The cluster eeprom should save the settings or else the trip odometer would reset too.

If that's the case, make them buy the switch and panel as part of the conversion.

I know on a 2003-2006 it saves the setting in the eeprom till changed again manually.

hero112
6th January, 2016, 03:06 AM
The guy I currently get to switch them over he just programs the clusters to USA firmware, I have just used the OBD option but I do have the EEPROM adapter, which I have never used but I can pull out the cluster and find the eeprom, It does allow me to read and write on the EEPROM, there was a 2007 silverado bin I found on here and if I put that BIN file on I can always change the mileage over the OBD. Do you think that will be my best bet?

clusters
6th January, 2016, 03:08 AM
What about the VIN and all the other truck specific programming? lol

USA firmware :hmmmm2: like making the odometer read in Miles? lol

hero112
6th January, 2016, 03:13 AM
basically it would just show miles on the odomoter reading when he would covert it, with sierra is there certain information on the EEPROM that would be required? I was just going to use a bin file that was posted on here for a 2007 silverado

hero112
6th January, 2016, 03:16 AM
or is there something in the BIN file I download from the EEPROM that would allow me to change it permanately to miles?

gagopc
6th January, 2016, 07:21 AM
if you use smelecom , when you read the eeprom the tool show you 2 value to input the new odometer , first in km 2nd in mi .

hero112
6th January, 2016, 07:46 AM
it will write the miles but it will still show up in the odometer as kms.

clusters
6th January, 2016, 08:06 AM
Sort of on topic....

I just repaired a GMT800 cluster a few hours ago, it was a USA model with USA "firmware" and the speedo is in MPH. It had a DIC dash in it and the owner had it set to Km, read KM before removing it, read Km while on the bench, and still read Km when back in the truck. Those settings are written to the eeprom in the dash and won't change with a battery disconnect.

I seriously doubt GM has changed that on the GMT900, so unless you have seen it revert back with your own eyes on a battery disconnect, I would try it with your Sierra, and not believe the guy that's making money from you. :roflmao:

That year the truck still doesn't give a rat's butt what the cluster is doing, it just sends the info to it and the cluster displays the info according to the settings written on the eeprom. Those settings are not stored in volatile memory as far as I know, or a battery disconnect would require reprogramming. lol Use the DIC to change it to Miles, unplug the cluster for a few minutes, plug it back in and see what it displays and you'll have your answer. Let us know the outcome.

hero112
6th January, 2016, 08:20 AM
Clusters, i have converted into miles in the DIC and then disconnected and changed the faceplate and when i put it back it goes back to KMS :(

I was able to use the EEPROM Clip and I backed up the KM's original bin and I put a BIN file from a 2007 silverado from here and it worked. I just edited the mileage on the OBD and it worked very smoothly. Was very tricky getting that eprom reader clipped on tho.

hero112
6th January, 2016, 08:22 AM
Now my next question is, I have a 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel, I am able to save my bin right one my USA Prog but it does not have an option to use it as a recovery file. So is the 08 ram the same thing where I have to find the EEPROM or is it another connecter? I have a bunch of the connectors and pin adapters it came with. I also found a bin on here but I have no way to figure out how to put it back on there

clusters
6th January, 2016, 08:31 AM
Clusters, i have converted into miles in the DIC and then disconnected and changed the faceplate and when i put it back it goes back to KMS :(

I was able to use the EEPROM Clip and I backed up the KM's original bin and I put a BIN file from a 2007 silverado from here and it worked. I just edited the mileage on the OBD and it worked very smoothly. Was very tricky getting that eprom reader clipped on tho.

I stand corrected then and they must have changed the strategy in the clusters in 2007 and it is stored in volatile memory. Thanks for the info.

hero112
6th January, 2016, 08:35 AM
Any suggestions on the 2008 Ram 3500?

clusters
6th January, 2016, 08:37 AM
Sorry, no.

hero112
6th January, 2016, 08:39 AM
Have you ever programmed any of those? If they were to be programmed on the bench, do you use like one of the pin connectors or do you an eprom reader?

hero112
6th January, 2016, 10:33 PM
can anyone help