View Full Version : sky box engineer tricks

joe516
14th March, 2008, 08:16 PM
sky/sky+ box, use these tips to enter secret menu to reset/defrag

Stripester
23rd November, 2008, 06:42 PM
HOPES THIS HELPS

DIY SKY PLUS REPAIR

REMINDER - You are responsable for any repairs or actions taken to repair your SKY + equipment

Stage One - "Full System Reset"

1. Turn on your Sky + box

2. Press the "Services" button on your Sky+ remote

3. Select the option "System Setup"

4. Access the hidden menu by pressing "0 then 1 then select" on your Sky+ Remote

WARNING - The next Stage will result in you losing all previous recordings!!!

5. Select "Full System Reset" - (Please ignore all other options under this menu)

6. Allow the system some time to reset itself, and then it will turn off

7. Turn on the Sky Plus Box

8. Hopefully all recording problems are resolved - If not proceed to "Stage Two"

Stage Two

1. Remove Sky Plus Box "Mains Cable" - (either from wall socket or back of Sky + Box)

2. Hold down the "Left and Right Arrow Buttons" on the front of the Sky + Box

WARNING - The next stage will result in you losing all previous recordings!!!

3. Reconnect the power

4. Remain holding the "Left and Right Arrow Buttons" for around 30 seconds

5. The "Green Sky + Ring", on the front of the Sky+ Box should now light up

6. Release the "Left and Right Arrow Buttons"

7. Press Select on the front of the sky + Box

8. Now the System will "Format the Hard Drive" - The "Green Sky + Ring" will now spin backwards

9. Allow the system upto 10 minutes, and then it will turn off

10.Turn on the Sky Plus Box

11.Hopefully all recording problems are resolved - If not proceed to "Stage Three"

Stage Three

1. Remove Sky Plus Box "Mains Cable" - (either from wall socket or back of Sky + Box)

2. Hold down the "Backup Button" on the front of the Sky + Box

3. Reconnect the power

4. Remain holding the "Backup Button" for around 30 seconds

5. The lights on the front of the Sky+ Box should now light up

6. If your TV is connected to the Sky + Box, the following message will be displayed "Updating System Software"

7. Release the "Backup Button"

8. Allow the system upto 15 minutes, and then it will turn off

9.Turn on the Sky Plus Box

10.Hopefully all recording problems are resolved - If not you'll have to call Sky, and they'll promise to repair or replace it for ?65

SPECIAL NOTE - If the following message is displayed - "Recording Interupted" - when recording or live pause is attempted:

9 times out of 10 it means the "Sky viewing Card" IS paired with a Sky Plus Box - Just not the one your using!!!

lynchie
6th December, 2008, 04:07 PM
worked perfectly! cheers! no ?65 fee this time and no replacement box.... again......:party:

zari
12th December, 2008, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=joe516;1759]sky/sky+ box, use these tips to enter secret menu to reset/defrag[/QUOTE

i have a sky dish with no subscription, but i get all the teras tv and some other foreign channels, but my pictures on thef foreign channels seem to break up alot, whats wrong ??

arcadian2002
19th December, 2008, 05:12 PM
hI I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING EVERY WERE FOR THIS TYPE ON INFO...
NEADLESS TO SAY MY SKYBOX HAS JUST GONE DOWN,,,AFTER I REFUSED XTRA WARRENTY FROM SKYS TELEPHONE CALL!!! HMMM SMELL A PLOT .

MANY THANKS
ARC

kennethrawc
1st February, 2009, 02:02 PM
are you able to access more channels going into secret menu.

mjbuckl
21st May, 2009, 11:31 PM
Does this work the same with an HD box?
ALSO
Is there another option that just resets the menu so you don't lose all your recordings? - I think I saw the engineer do this before he did a full reset before

terriers
22nd May, 2009, 12:25 PM
no u didnt m8....any reset scrubs the harddrive...and it works on hd or sd plus...the holding your fingers on left and right button while powering back up is also good for getting boxes out of stuck in standby too...

As for the not losing your recordings,,the usb port on the box
was gonna be for connecting a device to capture the recordings
before doing a system reset,,or box swap,that way you could put the recordings back on box or new box and customer wouldnt lose their recordings....this is what they told us when i used to work for them 2years ago but still nothing yet...the amount of customers i got grief off was unbelievable,,yet understandable....

terriers
22nd May, 2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone having problems with their remote be it sly or any other remote,,there is an easy way to check if its working....

get your mobile phone and switch the camera on...next get your
remote and put in front of camera lens,then press buttons on remote,and you can see it flashing if remote is working....

joeybrod77
13th June, 2009, 08:13 PM
can't wait to download
sky always fool about
would be nice to fix it myself for once:hahaha:

gibbo74
17th June, 2009, 10:05 PM
great info ,
i theres a guy on ebay selling all the sky engineer tips and tricks for ?2.99 , i bought it and its good but not has good has the info you can get for free from digital kaos
:cheer:

terminator2k2
24th August, 2009, 06:30 PM
hahaha this made me laugh, not for the post though...i went on a bskyb installation and health and safety course recently......and one of the questions was.... wat menu is accessed by pressing services ,system setup 0 ,1 select and one numpty put the secret menu lol........

.: JaCkPoT :.
24th August, 2009, 08:22 PM
lol thats what i would put. I guess he failed?

rrcarcio
13th September, 2009, 07:26 PM
I need a reset for my ordinary sky digibox. Is there one?

katr7
15th October, 2009, 01:49 AM
hey anybody got any info on how to fix a blurry screen on the amstrad drx 280 any help would be much appreciated cheers!

numptyno1
15th October, 2009, 11:34 PM
What do i use to open the file people? Word/notepad etc dont seem to accept it?

ianmac
16th October, 2009, 12:26 AM
What do i use to open the file people? Word/notepad etc dont seem to accept it?

Hi numptyno1

I don't think it is your fault, there are a few dammaged file lying around, but if you go back to post no:2 of this thread, you will see some step by step instructions.

Hope this helps m8
Ian

ianmac
20th October, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hey there this is my first post so need to get it done to get access to sat and cable info would like to update my home entertainment in general sorry if readin this is a pain thanks.

Hi barneybetty,
If you would have read your welcome email, or looked @ the top of the forums list,
you would have seen that you should have made your first post here:
:wink:

Introduce Yourself (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/)

So why don't you go there now & introduce yourself...

All the best
Ian

darkhelmet
16th November, 2009, 08:25 PM
Is there any info on pairing boxes ?

tantricman
2nd December, 2009, 12:11 PM
Has anyone else had the same problem? Since changing the to the Sky card on my Sky HD box I have had nothing but problems.
Freezing, no sat signal etc. It will not accept my previous card and Sky do not seem to want to know!
Anyone had a similiar problem?

bosvelt
17th December, 2009, 02:49 PM
Has anyone else had the same problem? Since changing the to the Sky card on my Sky HD box I have had nothing but problems.
Freezing, no sat signal etc. It will not accept my previous card and Sky do not seem to want to know!
Anyone had a similiar problem?

try turning the system off, unplug from the mains (leave off for 1 minute) , give your card (chip side) a wipe with a damp cloth, put card back in and switch system back on.

Gshrubby
21st December, 2009, 04:18 PM
What's the secret menu?

csafc
30th December, 2009, 11:11 AM
has anyone ever actually got free foreign channels????

game111
6th January, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hi

Channels 101 - 105 are showing ok, but rest of sky channels there is no signal. Any ideas ? Many Thanks

bcoole
10th January, 2010, 02:40 PM
How can you reset on a sky hd box with the new sky guide - there is no System Setup menu option. I am getting No Satellite Signal message but signal is fine on neighbors box who is using same dish.

oknar71
24th January, 2010, 06:51 PM
has anyone have solution for sky digital smart card -clone or somethingelse thnks

TrevorW
28th January, 2010, 09:21 PM
How can you reset on a sky hd box with the new sky guide - there is no System Setup menu option. I am getting No Satellite Signal message but signal is fine on neighbors box who is using same dish.

Press Services followed by 0, 0, 1 and Select

This will then display the Setup Menu

Use Sky+ Rebuild first as this will retain and recordings.

If no use Sys Reset will erase all recordings and planner info.

PAUL7331
16th February, 2010, 11:30 AM
Guys, does the viewing card need to be inserted to view ITV HD? Ive added channel manually, but it doesnt show up in the other channel menu where it should! Does viewing card need to be inserted for it to work?

red7
16th February, 2010, 11:53 PM
has anyone got free foreign channels?

charles4
24th February, 2010, 10:34 PM
I phoned sky who did stage 1 with me, this did not work and they said i would need an engineer at ?65. I said i would think about it not having any spare cash for this luxury. I tried your stage 2 as illustrated on here and it worked. You saved me some stress and money. Thank you! PS, if I was elderly I would have paid the money thinking that sky know best.... they could have done stage 2 with me over the phone. Disgusted with sky.

jumping jack
1st May, 2010, 02:25 PM
hi can any1 help me got a sky plus box and it wont turn on any suggestiuons would be gratful

Mos Keetoh
1st May, 2010, 04:52 PM
Unplug from the mains wait about 1 minute plug back in wait about 5 minutes then try again... usually works for me (digital crap... always lets you down!!!!)

Likvid
18th May, 2010, 01:09 AM
Is there any hack to disable that stupid PIN code asked for when watching movie channels at daytime?

czambujinho
20th May, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hi guys, i tried your steps here but the only problem is that the full system reset buton doesn't show up in the secret menu. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Czambujinho:hmmmm2::beheaded:

EddieD061
22nd May, 2010, 09:09 PM
Is there any hack to disable that stupid PIN code asked for when watching movie channels at daytime?

nope sky dont allow it due to the fact ADULTS complained they dont show anything other than kid friendly stuff during the day

thats why sky now show 15-18 stuff hence the pin

after the water shed the pin wont appear

cheerz now

CELTIC 2011 CHAMPIONS (THE OPTIMIST)

timtek
27th May, 2010, 08:38 PM
just had my sky + hd installed, but live in a flat with shared dish and only one lnb, and the engineer showed me the "secret menu" so that if i could get another lnb feed i could switch it back to dual lnb mode. but Thanks for the reset tips, the box keeps getting stuck in standby and this seems to have fixed it :p

mazzano4
16th June, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hi one and all, mods please forgive me if i am posting in the wrong section and i have searched for this but no luck,

I just got a sky+ HD box for nothing and its new too, my question is i dont have sky only freeview and i live in the South of Ireland.

Is there a way for me to just watch freeview stations on it, i just unplugged my freeview sat cable and plugged it into back of sky box,needless to say all the functions are there but box reporting no signal,like i said i am a total newbee and i would dare say there are a few of you rolling about laughing now haha but any help would be appreciated, as to how to sort this if possble,thanks in advance.:giveup:

dick b
21st June, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hi one and all, mods please forgive me if i am posting in the wrong section and i have searched for this but no luck,

I just got a sky+ HD box for nothing and its new too, my question is i dont have sky only freeview and i live in the South of Ireland.

Is there a way for me to just watch freeview stations on it, i just unplugged my freeview sat cable and plugged it into back of sky box,needless to say all the functions are there but box reporting no signal,like i said i am a total newbee and i would dare say there are a few of you rolling about laughing now haha but any help would be appreciated, as to how to sort this if possble,thanks in advance.:giveup:
freeview is a terrestrial service and not compatable with a sky box.for which you need a satellite dish pointed at 28E.

mazzano4
21st June, 2010, 03:38 PM
freeview is a terrestrial service and not compatable with a sky box.for which you need a satellite dish pointed at 28E.

I actually sorted this with some help from this forum, i changed the setting to single lnb and the hd box came up with a load of free channels like what was on my freeview box,just got my sky card today and all is well, i put in channel 5 and a few others too,although i now need a different lnb to use the box with all the recording functions working properly but will sort that. all thanks to this forum, thanks

makhmal
12th September, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hi quick question guys,
Can I use the hard after formatting somewhere else? My box is about to die I beleive!
Cheers,
H

BigfatPete
13th September, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hi,
I've got an 8 yr old Skydigibox and the volume keeps dropping out. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it as it can go several times in a few minutes or last a few hours. If I turn it off and on via the remote the sound comes straight back up to the normal level. Sometimes the volume will steadily decrease and on others it will drop completely in one go. I don't have the money at the moment to splash out on a new box so is there something I can do that might help resolve the problem? My kids are getting very fed up watching CBBC and having to turn on and off just at "the best bits".

Cheers

Manic01
13th September, 2010, 04:30 PM
THOMSON SKY DIGIBOX on eBay (end time 13-Sep-10 19:37:10 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THOMSON-SKY-DIGIBOX-/250690932519?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3a5e580f27)
99p +6.99 del 3 hrs to go on ebay.

yinny99
14th September, 2010, 09:58 AM
can anyone tell me how to access the 'secret engineer screen on a new(ish) sky hd box (Thompson)

Thanks

Carew6
14th September, 2010, 12:20 PM
Services - 0 - 0 - 1 - Select

montybella
9th October, 2010, 10:03 AM
my sky hd box keeps losing the signal, I have to turn it off at the mains, leave it for a minute, then switch it back on and then it reboots, I'm having to this almost daily, any ideas anyone as to why this keeps happening??

montybella
10th October, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hi, have sky hd, trouble with mine it keeps losing the signal, I have to switch off at the mains then leave for a minute, switch back on to let it re boot, then its comes back on, I am having to do this almost daily, any idea's?

Paulhearne
23rd October, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have an Amstrad DRX280 Sky+ box which as of yesterday will only work as a standard box; no hard disk access. Very difficult to switch on after it goes to standby. System reset does not solve the problem. Am I going to have to perform a total reset and wipe all my stored programmes? Is there any way of accessing the programmes and saving them to a computer hard disk?

noneckferret
23rd October, 2010, 08:22 PM
is there any way to access your recordings if you have cancelled your subscription. They have told us often enough that we own the box but now we can't watch or record anything

chris76
21st November, 2010, 01:24 PM
hi guys

how do i open this file?
windows is saying its a rar file and its going to cost ?23 for a program to open it?

EAMO 2
21st November, 2010, 01:57 PM
hi guys

how do i open this file?
windows is saying its a rar file and its going to cost ?23 for a program to open it?

Download WINRAR to your desktop, that will open it for you

Brynk
4th December, 2010, 07:25 PM
When I try a planner rebuild the box just switches off. Any ideas? :hmmmm2:

dick b
5th December, 2010, 01:39 PM
hi guys

how do i open this file?

use 7-zip its free just google it or download from the download center it will unpack both zip & rar and compress to zip.I"v never had a prob with it just decline all the ads they show.and if you use "Firefox" as your browser your home and dry.

bexxy9
7th December, 2010, 09:55 PM
Will the stage 2 and 3 resets work for a box that freezes intermittently including the infrared sensor and therefore use of remote control?

EAMO 2
7th December, 2010, 10:33 PM
Will the stage 2 and 3 resets work for a box that freezes intermittently including the infrared sensor and therefore use of remote control?

Should sort it out, worth a try anyway

raymoreb
8th December, 2010, 02:21 PM
please can anyone tells me what code do i have to use to set a starup channels on sky box , as it is asking me for a code ,i want my sky sport news to be my start up channel but i need code to do this ,pls any tips is wellcome regards

EAMO 2
8th December, 2010, 05:32 PM
please can anyone tells me what code do i have to use to set a starup channels on sky box , as it is asking me for a code ,i want my sky sport news to be my start up channel but i need code to do this ,pls any tips is wellcome regards

Usually the last 4 numbers on your sky-card unless you
changed number

malcolmdaniels
11th December, 2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks Joe. I have error C208-U1-L909.:hmmmm2:
Malcolm

JulesInKy
19th December, 2010, 02:29 AM
Ah well, it must be a difference in transmissions between the UK and Ireland...

I did the resets, reboots, pressing arrows and buttons but the problem remains. I have a subscription Sky+ box in the living room working perfectly. A friend gave me their Sky+ box (she upgraded to HD) which I put in the bedroom, replacing my old black Pace one (which started encrypting some UK channels in the past months).

It will not record, will not pause.
The Irish channels remain in place on 101-105 (it didn't revert back to the UK listing) but I can't view them as they've become encrypted.
This is both with card in or removed.
CH4, E4 etc are now also encrypted.

Thanks for the info anyway guys, it was worth a try.

Jules.

theskrebs
27th December, 2010, 03:25 PM
I've got a Sky+ box thats been stuck on standby for 24 hours now. Tried all the pressing buttons while you turn on the power tricks - but no response. It just sits there with the standby light glowing defiantly. Cant hear any noise when power is connected. The unit went down as a result of a short power cut while it was recording.

I'm going to remove the hard drive and try to format that on a computer. Then put it back and see if there's life. Next would be replace the power supply.

Anyone out there got any other suggestions? (I already have the big hammer on standby)

Manic01
27th December, 2010, 04:36 PM
This is the only way I know.
You could try this procedure which is the same as doing a full system reset from installer menu. You will lose all existing / planned recordings;

1. Disconnect from mains.
2. Press left and right arrow keys on front of receiver (on right of box).
3. Reconnect mains while holding down arrow keys.
4. Keep pressed until green circle leds light.
5. Release left/right buttons.
6. Press select. (on receiver)
7. The green circle led's rotate anticlockwise approx 20 times.
8. Green leds go out.
9. If the green play led lights then HHD format is good
10. If red lights the format is not good and hard drive is faulty.

theskrebs
27th December, 2010, 05:08 PM
I tried that. All the pressing button permutations on the net have been tried. The box will not start up. I've formatted a 40gig pc HD and will try that in place of the original.

theskrebs
28th December, 2010, 01:04 AM
Had a go at starting her up with the cover off. No sign of the HD trying to spin up. Then the red standby light went out. Tried again - no standby light, all connections tight. Looks like a dead PSU. Ordering a replacement from ebay. Will take about a week but I'll update when the replacement PSU has been fitted.

opsmonkey
1st January, 2011, 01:41 AM
sound like a psu problem mate, it wont be the HDD

fluorescent
3rd January, 2011, 10:17 PM
Seems you have a problem with a capacitor on the power suply, i fix a lot of sky boxes with this problem.
Take a look of capacitors of PSU if they are broken and remplace it with new one, but take care to put it right because they are polarity marked.
On this page you see what i talkin about:
Spares for Sky digibox and other receivers (http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm#thomson)
You can save some money and get satisfaction to repair your skybox

tbc1968
19th January, 2011, 08:25 PM
is there anyway of locking a sky+ remote to prevent people using it

thanks

VU4ME
19th January, 2011, 08:38 PM
No mate not possible.

skywalker060
6th February, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hello people, I'm a total newbie to Sky boxes and Satellite, I have an old Grundig standard skybox which will not rescan for new channels and had lost others such as channel five, although i could manually search for this. I have tried to to a factory reset as well as software update ( which freezes ) to no avail. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance !

EAMO 2
6th February, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hello people, I'm a total newbie to Sky boxes and Satellite, I have an old Grundig standard skybox which will not rescan for new channels and had lost others such as channel five, although i could manually search for this. I have tried to to a factory reset as well as software update ( which freezes ) to no avail. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance !
Have you looked at tutorial on page 1 of this thread

thunderchief
13th February, 2011, 03:19 PM
The general reliability of these Sky boxes is so poor it's unreal!

Chasser
13th February, 2011, 06:04 PM
The general reliability of these Sky boxes is so poor it's unreal!

I agree my box is 2 months old nd I have a 10-7 system fault which will result in me losing my lanner and recordings.

EAMO 2
13th February, 2011, 06:11 PM
I agree my box is 2 months old nd I have a 10-7 system fault which will result in me losing my lanner and recordings.
Chaser, I haven't used S*y box for a while, wondering exactly
what 10-7 system fault

Chasser
13th February, 2011, 07:51 PM
From what I can gather it means the HDD has either got some form of software corruption or the HDD is knackered.

Since posting my initial post I have tried a STAGE 3 reset everything went as per instructons but 10-7 still there.

I then tried a SKY+ rebuild from the engineers menu 0,0,1. I have now lost my picture but I still have sound on my TV. Any ideas?

Chasser
13th February, 2011, 07:59 PM
I did a quick google and the answer wasa to unplug and turn back on!

I still cannot use SKY+ recording, rewind, planner, etc. Are there any options other than resetting and losing recordings?

EAMO 2
13th February, 2011, 08:24 PM
From what I can gather it means the HDD has either got some form of software corruption or the HDD is knackered.

Since posting my initial post I have tried a STAGE 3 reset everything went as per instructons but 10-7 still there.

I then tried a SKY+ rebuild from the engineers menu 0,0,1. I have now lost my picture but I still have sound on my TV. Any ideas?
Thanks for info Chaser I have several S*Y+ boxes I don't use &
may give to nearby OAP's as FTA so like to keep uptodate
Have never tried this but should work OK if you have time;
1. Connect scart(or AV-r;w;y) from S*Y box to DVD-recorder.
2. On DVD-rec menu; Select source(scart-in or similar) to show
output from S*Y+ box
3. Play desired recordings & record on DVD-rec hard-drive
4. When all saved films have been copied to DVD-rec you can
reset S*Y+box & sort it out

P.S. Sound & no vision on S*Y+box
Check settings in menu
Check SCART has not been disturbed

Chasser
13th February, 2011, 11:40 PM
Nice idea - and uniquely not one I've seen suggested anywhere else!!

1. The planner doesn't exist so my recordings are not viewable/playable so therefore not recordable .

2. However you give me another idea - could my HDD be swapped into another SKY+ box and maybe all my recordings would "reappear"?

EAMO 2
14th February, 2011, 10:02 AM
Nice idea - and uniquely not one I've seen suggested anywhere else!!

1. The planner doesn't exist so my recordings are not viewable/playable so therefore not recordable .

2. However you give me another idea - could my HDD be swapped into another SKY+ box and maybe all my recordings would "reappear"?

1 If planner cannot be accessed, don't look good
2 Don't really know the answer to that as have never tried it but
would think removing HDD from box would delete everything as
Hdd may be paired with box. Cacti will tell you when he's round

dpdp
18th February, 2011, 01:51 AM
HOPES THIS HELPS

DIY SKY PLUS REPAIR

SPECIAL NOTE - If the following message is displayed - "Recording Interupted" - when recording or live pause is attempted:

9 times out of 10 it means the "Sky viewing Card" IS paired with a Sky Plus Box - Just not the one your using!!!

what is the cure for this I bought a new box off ebay and I get the recording interupted message?

young un
19th February, 2011, 11:01 PM
does this work on the new sky+ hd box

thanks

sara11679
21st February, 2011, 12:09 AM
Help with sky+ box, keep getting engineer out and all they do is push a few buttons and it resets??? cant keep paying call out chargers for them to push a few buttons , any help would be very very helpful and im getting annoyed. cheers guys.

cactikid
21st February, 2011, 12:32 AM
try reading from beginning as the answer may be there

immi
22nd February, 2011, 12:34 AM
hi guys,reading above could not find the answer.SO the ? is can i use the old sky box to view fta channels on 13% hotbird, without having to go on the rmc service,add channels etc,etc.

rebecca85
25th February, 2011, 07:38 PM
sky + box is only recording one programme, it wont let you watch any other programmes, any ideas?

cactikid
25th February, 2011, 09:14 PM
sky+box usually has 2 sat cables inserted into rear of box one for each tuner,if only one is in its view or record not both.

fsseng
26th March, 2011, 01:45 AM
my sky+ hd has just lost its lnb input2, have tried powering down changing both inputs and powering up. Have tried a hdd reset and software download. All it does after reboots is try to find listings.

celcat
26th March, 2011, 08:22 PM
I was so hopeful that I'd found an answer....but I think my box is dead :bawling:

I've done all three steps but I'm still getting 'No satellite signal' . Also it is telling me that I have no signal strength or quality in either input BUT I know I have signal from dish etc (when I saw the sky man up the street I asked him to test it for me!)

Any further ideas please as I now have no TV (no normal ariel) .....

BTW i have sky+HD

goosegog60
27th March, 2011, 03:21 PM
would really like to know how to setup the SKY hd box myself instead of paying ?60 for SKY to do it:bawling:

areskyttp
23rd April, 2011, 08:09 PM
is there any way to access your recordings if you have cancelled your subscription. They have told us often enough that we own the box but now we can't watch or record anything
I notice nobody replied to this. I am having the same problem - can't access any recordings (planner blank) and error HP-52J when trying to add new recordings.

areskyttp
24th April, 2011, 02:47 PM
I've tried accessing the secret menu by "System setup - 0,1,enter" (also tried 0,0,1,enter as suggested elsewhere) and nothing happens. I'm assuming that "system setup" and "Sky+ setup" are the same thing. Also, "power-up with left right" does nothing but "power-up with backup" does load latest software. Where am I going wrong?

I have Amstrad Sky + HD box.

Carew6
24th April, 2011, 03:21 PM
Services - 0 - 0 - 1 - Select

will get you to the "secret menu" on a HD box.

vbgenie
2nd June, 2011, 08:56 PM
Any updates, my Sky+ HD box is not working

ebmitie
2nd June, 2011, 09:08 PM
give a bit more information, make model of box, have you a quad lnb , what have you tried so far and so on, more the better. Or is the box dead, kaput,

eb:manusign:

gtbjames
11th June, 2011, 12:08 PM
newbie here, quick question if I may?
I have just put a tv cable from my sky+ box from downsatirs to upstairs TV. Picture is great, but sound is 'stratchy', worse when any logos come up on screen (such as what channel yr own or subtitles). tried fintuning but still present....
I cleaned up the connectors - same result
I decided to put the cable instead into my ariel digibox (that was already upstairs) and the sound quality is perfect (though I can't find sky channels on it - damn!!)
Any suggestions why the sound qualiity is poor?
thanks
gareth

bj1
12th June, 2011, 11:14 AM
newbie here, quick question if I may?
I have just put a tv cable from my sky+ box from downsatirs to upstairs TV. Picture is great, but sound is 'stratchy', worse when any logos come up on screen (such as what channel yr own or subtitles). tried fintuning but still present....
I cleaned up the connectors - same result
I decided to put the cable instead into my ariel digibox (that was already upstairs) and the sound quality is perfect (though I can't find sky channels on it - damn!!)
Any suggestions why the sound qualiity is poor?
thanks
garethmake sure when tuning in tv the sound system type is pal / i and not pal / g or pal / k just enter menu on your tv then manual tuning then check the sound system its running on and change to pal / i ...if that is the problem......BJ1

Dave1954
12th July, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hi all, i would welcome any suggestions. My sky+ keeps losing the sound, it is random and changes to a type of warbled scratching low noise. I've tried updating software, resetting the box etc. have a good signal on both feeds, picture quality is fine. Can be a case of watching for 30 mins then problem or problem right from turn on. I have bought a new box on ebay but am concerned that my existing card may not work with it.
Cheers Dave

brin251
21st July, 2011, 09:01 AM
Hi all, i would welcome any suggestions. My sky+ keeps losing the sound, it is random and changes to a type of warbled scratching low noise. I've tried updating software, resetting the box etc. have a good signal on both feeds, picture quality is fine. Can be a case of watching for 30 mins then problem or problem right from turn on. I have bought a new box on ebay but am concerned that my existing card may not work with it.
Cheers Dave

Hi m8 r u using scart or hd lead i had a similair problem espescially with scart as several of the pins can be slightly shorted and cause ya sound to be a bit glitchy change this or if you r on a hd lead replace that or try someone elses see how u go

Brian

bj1
21st July, 2011, 04:26 PM
if you have tried changing your scart/hdmi cables and still no joy this problem could be your low noise block [ lnb ] if you have changed your box i would change your lnb just in case as this problem could return, if you have a good sat meter try checking the B.E.R, check at the stb point then at the lnb, this way you can find out if you have faulty cable, your B.E.R should be zero, change cable/lnb if required ....BJ1 p.s if you change your box phone sky and tell them to pair you viewing card to your stb

scotsdavy1
27th July, 2011, 02:54 AM
Is there a way to reset the sky hd box to default in that I can get London itv in Scotland on chan 103. When I first got it the itv was set to London until I inserted my sky card.

bj1
27th July, 2011, 08:25 AM
no its the viewing card that sets your regional viewing, you could try asking sky to change things at their end...BJ1

mendipgold
1st August, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have two questions, the first is obviously me being dumb... but...

Which/where is the thanks button ?

and the second is a little more challenging :-

I have a sky+ box that I would like to be able to store more recordings.... Can someone tell me if it is possible to replace the internal disk witha larger one and then use the HDD format menu option to complete this to give a larger disk ??

many thanks.

terry1961
4th August, 2011, 06:36 AM
I-ve done all 3 stages following instructions to a tee. When I did the second one, the green light on the front stayed lit as a full circle and keeps flashing intermittingly

terry1961
4th August, 2011, 06:44 AM
Posted too quick I should add I thought that perhaps this meant it was updating so left it all night and the green is still flashing. Turned box on via remote and still unable to record. i have tried this with the original hard drive and a new one (sky told me the hard drive was fried, but checked it on my lap top and its ok) any one came across this b4

wwwclnd
6th August, 2011, 04:58 PM
my sky box stopped delivering a picture to my tv after what i suspect was caused by a power surge, after narrowing the problem down to the sky box plugging it out and back in and changing sources etc etc didn't solve anything. plugging out all connections eventually got it back working but i can't pinpoint why it's now working again

potrm
9th August, 2011, 02:16 PM
Brilliant, pity the engineer that installed my sky hd box had no idea how to use it, the guy couldnt even program the sky remote to my tv, i had to show him. :argh:

naz1976
13th August, 2011, 09:52 PM
I've tried everything the box doesn't do live pause or playback keeps saying system fault tried a few things to reset box non of them have worked what should i d
o get an engineer in and pay ?65 or just get a new box???

EAMO 2
14th August, 2011, 10:44 AM
I've tried everything the box doesn't do live pause or playback keeps saying system fault tried a few things to reset box non of them have worked what should i d

If you stopped paying S*Y subs they disable hard-drive in +box

manuelgorman
22nd August, 2011, 01:19 AM
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know if the "secret menu" can be used to enable Sky+ functionality if you are not a subscriber?

TEDSON
22nd August, 2011, 10:38 AM
No it cannot.

kdhedger
29th August, 2011, 04:50 PM
Will these help my box from keep losing listings?

davelostplot
1st September, 2011, 10:53 PM
I have two questions, the first is obviously me being dumb... but...

Which/where is the thanks button ?

and the second is a little more challenging :-

I have a sky+ box that I would like to be able to store more recordings.... Can someone tell me if it is possible to replace the internal disk witha larger one and then use the HDD format menu option to complete this to give a larger disk ??

many thanks.

Hi

You can use a special program called copy+ its a freeware program that allows you to put your current sky hdd into a pc along with a new drive say upto 1TB, and clone your data across.
(skycopyplus is the web site name)
The size of the new drive can be anything as long as the drive interface is compatible with the original box, so Sata for HD systems or ATA for sky+ systems

have used it myself to up my sky+ 160 to a 320 without any problems.
Good luck..

Exclusive83
6th September, 2011, 07:02 PM
no u didnt m8....any reset scrubs the harddrive...and it works on hd or sd plus...the holding your fingers on left and right button while powering back up is also good for getting boxes out of stuck in standby too...

As for the not losing your recordings,,the usb port on the box
was gonna be for connecting a device to capture the recordings
before doing a system reset,,or box swap,that way you could put the recordings back on box or new box and customer wouldnt lose their recordings....this is what they told us when i used to work for them 2years ago but still nothing yet...the amount of customers i got grief off was unbelievable,,yet understandable....
The usb port on the box was for future developement, nothing to do with the transfer of program's from a goosed box onto a new box. the usb port in all fairness is good to charge your ipod or iphone but thats about it.....

Exclusive83
6th September, 2011, 07:08 PM
Will these help my box from keep losing listings?
if your box is losing its listings your gonna need to do a planner rebuild-connection check if a sky+ or hd, if its a standard box you'll just need to go with the good old connection check and hope for the best

Exclusive83
6th September, 2011, 07:10 PM
system fault = full system reset

loss of all recordings,series links etc that you may have set up

Exclusive83
6th September, 2011, 07:22 PM
Does this work the same with an HD box?
ALSO
Is there another option that just resets the menu so you don't lose all your recordings? - I think I saw the engineer do this before he did a full reset before
services 0,0,1 select (quick on the keys)

access's the installer(setup menu on a hd) push select again to drop the orange highlight to the middle of the page,keep pushing the right arrow button to highlight rebuild or sky+rebuild push select twice

you will get a warning advising that this process will stop all current recordings but it wont delete what you have.....

your box will go off after 4mins leave it on standby for another 4mins and then start the box as normal, if this doesnt work your only option is a full system reset/front panel reset which will wipe the lot sad but very true:)

let me know how you get on with this

cactikid
6th September, 2011, 09:35 PM
are caps an issue on sky+ hd pace boxes as i have gone through the reset and rebuild,sometimes comes up with no listings under any of the headers all channels.movies.news etc and the epg only does 10 hrs lol then no listing,also no synopsis under selected programme and once lost the sat feeds,unplugged and rebooted it came back.

had a closer look and not seen tuner 2 had no input so maybe lnb down as other feed now fixes problems.

EAMO 2
22nd September, 2011, 10:11 AM
I notice nobody replied to this. I am having the same problem - can't access any recordings (planner blank) and error HP-52J when trying to add new recordings.
Once you cancel sky subs they disable hard-drive in sky box. one
possible solution is to connect sky box to dvd-recorder with scart
lead and copy all recorded programs to disc. This must be done before subs are cancelled

bigtaffy
25th September, 2011, 12:50 PM
I know its 2011 but tricks like this are still so valid for those of us fixed in the SD time loop or not able to upgrade to HD cos of having not enough money to buy a HD television

akan21
1st October, 2011, 08:58 PM
I may be a bit off topic, but I was given an old SKY+ box with the card, the previous owner had cancelled his subscription with SKY. I was able to record for a few months, but it's over now. What I was wondering is does his sky account on mysky.com is still working after having cancelled his subscription with Sky and how long or do you need to recreate an account online ?
Thanks
PS the box is not plugged to the phone line.

oxter
4th October, 2011, 05:13 PM
Once you cancel sky subs they disable hard-drive in sky box. one
possible solution is to connect sky box to dvd-recorder with scart
lead and copy all recorded programs to disc. This must be done before subs are cancelled
I persuaded the sky engineer to leave me my old sky+ HD box when I got a freebie replacement for the original which was still working fine.
I tried previously to set it up in another room to replace an even older sky box. It appears to set up, lists the channels ok and the signal is good but despite a reset of the box I still get "no satellite signal is being received"
Can anyone suggest where I go from here?

Carew6
4th October, 2011, 07:02 PM
If you are only using one input (make sure it is Input 1) then enter the Installer menu..
Services-0-0-1-Select
and turn Single Feed mode ON.

nigel6020
5th October, 2011, 07:04 PM
both these options dont work with my sky+hd box does anyone have any suggestions. cheers Nig

nigel6020
5th October, 2011, 07:09 PM
so the menu is 0-0-1 selsect not 0-1- select why didnt someone say this initially. Nig

nigel6020
5th October, 2011, 07:13 PM
thank you to the person who gave the code 0-0-1 select cheers mate id been scratching my head for an hour. Nig

Paperboy
6th October, 2011, 02:53 PM
I have successfully done the reset a couple of times recently, but I continue to have problems. On the first reset I lost everything in my planner, but that's what I expected. However, the box froze again the next day, so I repeated the reset and all the planner programmes reappeared! I'm just worried that this will keep happening. Any thoughts?

oxter
6th October, 2011, 05:30 PM
If you are only using one input (make sure it is Input 1) then enter the Installer menu..
Services-0-0-1-Select
and turn Single Feed mode ON.

Thank you Carew. That works. I can take the sky viewing card I currently subscribe to and put it in my former sky+HD box and I can watch all the sky progs I am currently subscribed to. (I assume because originally that was my main box and the card was originally paired to it but also is paired to my brand new sky+HD box)

Only trouble is I can't record on my old +HD box - if I try it appears to work but then "no satellite signal etc" and I then need to switch off at the mains and reboot. However no harm done and when reinserted in my new +HD all functions operate and my planner/recordings are still fine.

I'd guess the only way to get a record facility on the old +HD box would be to go for a new additional subscription and then I'd need to hook up to the phone - would that be a problem if I already have one box hooked up?

I suppose multiroom would be a better option than that!?

If I then subsequently take the old +HD box on hols in my caravan and using my portable dish I should be able to watch anything I have recorded on that box?

Sorry that's a lot of questions!

cactikid
6th October, 2011, 09:29 PM
i think anything on hard drive may be encrypted and would need card to decrypt.

oxter
6th October, 2011, 09:52 PM
i think anything on hard drive may be encrypted and would need card to decrypt.

Yes but I would take the card with me as well as the old +HD box.

mbenz1
7th October, 2011, 08:18 AM
Yes but I would take the card with me as well as the old +HD box.

Yep but will need to be repaired with your old box.... then when you get back home the card will have to be paired to your new box.

bj1
7th October, 2011, 09:48 AM
Thank you Carew. That works. I can take the sky viewing card I currently subscribe to and put it in my former sky+HD box and I can watch all the sky progs I am currently subscribed to. (I assume because originally that was my main box and the card was originally paired to it but also is paired to my brand new sky+HD box)

Only trouble is I can't record on my old +HD box - if I try it appears to work but then "no satellite signal etc" and I then need to switch off at the mains and reboot. However no harm done and when reinserted in my new +HD all functions operate and my planner/recordings are still fine.

I'd guess the only way to get a record facility on the old +HD box would be to go for a new additional subscription and then I'd need to hook up to the phone - would that be a problem if I already have one box hooked up?

I suppose multiroom would be a better option than that!?

If I then subsequently take the old +HD box on hols in my caravan and using my portable dish I should be able to watch anything I have recorded on that box?

Sorry that's a lot of questions!

it will work fine m8 as you stated you would take out a second subscription.... just make sure you plug it back into the phone line when you come back from your hols....BJ1

oxter
7th October, 2011, 11:34 AM
Yep but will need to be repaired with your old box.... then when you get back home the card will have to be paired to your new box.

It is actually paired to both boxes at the same time as the old one was my original +hd box. I'm not too worried about sky checks - I'll say I switch off all electrics and phone line when we are on hols if anyone asks.

Only thing that doesn't work on the old +HD box is the record facility - pity but not too bothered about that.

oxter
7th October, 2011, 11:38 AM
it will work fine m8 as you stated you would take out a second subscription.... just make sure you plug it back into the phone line when you come back from your hols....BJ1

Yes will do thanks. Do you know if sky can tell if the second subscribed box is hooked up to the phone line? I could do a temp wire to get it installed then remove it as it's not near the phone socket and I don't want to move that.
After a year you are ok anyway.

bj1
7th October, 2011, 08:00 PM
sky do check but i know people who have never had their multiroom boxes connected to phone line
but they do check because they dont want customers giving their multiroom boxes to freinds or family....it makes sense though...everybody would be sharing multirooms....dont worry you will be fine, and if sky did phone you about it just say you were decorating and you had to move the box...BJ1

oxter
8th October, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all assistance with my sky+HD set up. Working great.
Problem No2 if anyone can help. I also have an old Sky+ box (not HD) which I use elsewhere in the house.
I have it working fine with a tv but I can't get it so send a signal to another tv in another room via RF Out 2 (or 1 which I also tried) Do I need to set something up in the box? The other room TV I am experimenting with was working fine with the sky+HD box.

bj1
8th October, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all assistance with my sky+HD set up. Working great.
Problem No2 if anyone can help. I also have an old Sky+ box (not HD) which I use elsewhere in the house.
I have it working fine with a tv but I can't get it so send a signal to another tv in another room via RF Out 2 (or 1 which I also tried) Do I need to set something up in the box? The other room TV I am experimenting with was working fine with the sky+HD box.

go to services 0-0-1 select go to rf out and you need to change to same rf channel your other box was on and turn rf power on if it is not allready on,
the easiest way to do this is put your other box back on and go to services and 0-0-1 select then rf out and take a not of wich rf channel number it is set on then simply put that channel number into your other box and press green button to save....hey presto.....BJ1:top:

oxter
9th October, 2011, 03:13 PM
go to services 0-0-1 select go to rf out and you need to change to same rf channel your other box was on and turn rf power on if it is not allready on,
the easiest way to do this is put your other box back on and go to services and 0-0-1 select then rf out and take a not of wich rf channel number it is set on then simply put that channel number into your other box and press green button to save....hey presto.....BJ1:top:

Fixed thank you. White man's magic

cosmo1905
16th October, 2011, 04:14 PM
my sky plus box has gone down and cant get it working any ideas

kennybrum
18th October, 2011, 09:04 AM
The signal is not strong enough you need a bigger dish.

stokelass39
23rd October, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hi im a newbie and need advice. Have got thru 3 sky boxes in as many months, just got a brand new hd box and still having probs. Cannot record and watch another channel, even recording when i go to bed says failed, how do i remedy this?

Sarann
7th November, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hi All
Great site, not sure if I'm in the right place
Hopefully someone can help, I have an old pace box which connects up and loads only some of the free to air channels, I have tried updating by pressing back button,and 4-0-1 etc,. But still only get some of the channels, others say insert card. I have another box which works fine and receives them all. Doe's anyone know what the problem might be. Thanks

andy91
7th November, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi All
Great site, not sure if I'm in the right place
Hopefully someone can help, I have an old pace box which connects up and loads only some of the free to air channels, I have tried updating by pressing back button,and 4-0-1 etc,. But still only get some of the channels, others say insert card. I have another box which works fine and receives them all. Doe's anyone know what the problem might be. Thanks

Where have you been mate,these boxes have been down over a year and will never be hacked again so you're stuck with what you have,
Best bet check the satellite section cable is crap since they brought in Nagra 3.

Andy.

Sarann
7th November, 2011, 05:22 PM
Got anouther one the same and neighbour has same model those two pick up all the free to air, just had to connect them up and that was it. I wondered if this one was still linked into sky somehow?

Sarann
7th November, 2011, 07:00 PM
Where have you been mate,these boxes have been down over a year and will never be hacked again so you're stuck with what you have,
Best bet check the satellite section cable is crap since they brought in Nagra 3.

Andy.
Sorry didn't make myself clear
I dont have cable, I have a satelite dish, the other box I have works perfectly on all the FTA stations, so I know the problem isn't there, also tried the box on neighbours dish, this box still will only pick up half the stations, it tells me to insert card on the others, which makes me think it is still connected to sky's system somehow, any ideas?

porter1
7th November, 2011, 09:12 PM

how do they disable hard drive m8

mo.p
7th November, 2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry didn't make myself clear
I dont have cable, I have a satelite dish, the other box I have works perfectly on all the FTA stations, so I know the problem isn't there, also tried the box on neighbours dish, this box still will only pick up half the stations, it tells me to insert card on the others, which makes me think it is still connected to sky's system somehow, any ideas?
hi m8 take plug out try Press and hold the backup button. Replug the power into the box.let the backup button go when u see three lights com on the box then wait about 10min then the box will reboot then u should have all the fta ckennels

EAMO 2
8th November, 2011, 10:47 AM

Seemingly they send a signal to +box that disables hard-drive
If you dis-connect box from dish for several months you may avoid
hard-drive disabling. This signal to box is sent on a regular basis
for months

Sarann
8th November, 2011, 05:05 PM
Seemingly they send a signal to +box that disables hard-drive
If you dis-connect box from dish for several months you may avoid
hard-drive disabling. This signal to box is sent on a regular basis
for months
This one hasn't got a hard drive...too old

kboyie
14th November, 2011, 06:11 PM
Very useful to know how to format Sky+ hard drive. Recently had similar problems with my laptop drive will all diagnostics telling me I needed to replace the drive. Once I tracked down the manufacturers formatting tool and reformatted, the drive has been as good as new.

ramjet
16th November, 2011, 12:03 AM

a subbed card is required for the hdd to work , so by making your card FTV only it wont allow playback or recording to the hdd in a sky plus box

a paired card with subs is required for sky plus to work , even if you only pay them ?10 per month to enable the plus features , or pay a minimum subs fee for the basic tv package

Owenjk
22nd November, 2011, 07:57 PM
We have been having issues with recording either failing completely or recordings being made but displaying 'failed' or 'interrupted' recording messages
We have already been led through the 'defrag' process but the problem still remains, we are also getting an intermittent problem with the box proving difficult to to get out of standby or getting the picture to pixelate or report no satellite signal being received.
on death door or something less complicated?
any suggestions?

excollier
22nd November, 2011, 09:32 PM
The power supply unit is failing, by the sound of it.
It is fixable. Check here, it will help
Spares for Sky digibox and other receivers (http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm)

or here
http://www.free-sat-tv.co.uk/skyhdopen.php

ern151
1st January, 2012, 02:09 PM
HOPES THIS HELPS

DIY SKY PLUS REPAIR

REMINDER - You are responsable for any repairs or actions taken to repair your SKY + equipment

Stage One - "Full System Reset"

1. Turn on your Sky + box

2. Press the "Services" button on your Sky+ remote

3. Select the option "System Setup"

4. Access the hidden menu by pressing "0 then 1 then select" on your Sky+ Remote

WARNING - The next Stage will result in you losing all previous recordings!!!

5. Select "Full System Reset" - (Please ignore all other options under this menu)

6. Allow the system some time to reset itself, and then it will turn off

7. Turn on the Sky Plus Box

8. Hopefully all recording problems are resolved - If not proceed to "Stage Two"

Stage Two

2. Hold down the "Left and Right Arrow Buttons" on the front of the Sky + Box

WARNING - The next stage will result in you losing all previous recordings!!!

3. Reconnect the power

4. Remain holding the "Left and Right Arrow Buttons" for around 30 seconds

5. The "Green Sky + Ring", on the front of the Sky+ Box should now light up

6. Release the "Left and Right Arrow Buttons"

7. Press Select on the front of the sky + Box

8. Now the System will "Format the Hard Drive" - The "Green Sky + Ring" will now spin backwards

9. Allow the system upto 10 minutes, and then it will turn off

10.Turn on the Sky Plus Box

11.Hopefully all recording problems are resolved - If not proceed to "Stage Three"

Stage Three

2. Hold down the "Backup Button" on the front of the Sky + Box

3. Reconnect the power

4. Remain holding the "Backup Button" for around 30 seconds

5. The lights on the front of the Sky+ Box should now light up

6. If your TV is connected to the Sky + Box, the following message will be displayed "Updating System Software"

7. Release the "Backup Button"

8. Allow the system upto 15 minutes, and then it will turn off

9.Turn on the Sky Plus Box

10.Hopefully all recording problems are resolved - If not you'll have to call Sky, and they'll promise to repair or replace it for ?65

I have tried this serval times but my sky+ box will not come out of stand by, anyone know what to do?

sorsat
1st January, 2012, 08:13 PM
Power supply start up caps have dried out , you may be able to get it repaired or just bin it and pick one up off flea bay? Cheap as chips

harrynog
3rd January, 2012, 05:39 PM
Hi all, just registered , i have lost my signal on sky+ box ,sky seem to do this every couple of years because i wont upgrade to hd (another ten quid a month) i did purchase a disc last time and accsssed secret codes and fixed problem. cant find disc and am anxious to watch my footie tonight can anybody help, box is an amstrad thanks

digital maniac
7th January, 2012, 12:21 AM
thanks for your help. it got my thompson unit back up and running again after a complete failure and no signal!
could not find system reset so did the stage 3 which worked a treat.
now i am going to buy a better box!!

storm95
7th January, 2012, 03:22 PM
trying to reset an old sky box pre sky plus
any help

EAMO 2
9th January, 2012, 02:27 AM
trying to reset an old sky box pre sky plus
any help

Read tutorial on page 1 of this thread, follow procedure & post
back here with DETAIL if procedure is not successful. Plenty of help on here but you are expected to make some little effort first
:party:

Feral Space Monkey
11th January, 2012, 10:04 PM
Thanx for all the tips. I took my box apart to try and retrieve the recordings using the COPY + software, but unfortunately it the particularly complicated 500gb Amstrad box has had a software update to the dreaded DARWIN version and Copy + doesn't currently support this :mad: Anyway, I've had to forego all the months of recordings and bite the bullet, with a full system reset. :bawling:Never mind, at least I can record and pause TV once more. Thanks again, F.S.M. :cool:

3y3k0n
14th January, 2012, 01:57 AM
Thankyou very much for the useful and informative post. Do you know by any chance what the concealed cam interface is for at the back of the sky boxes?

EAMO 2
14th January, 2012, 02:18 AM
Thankyou very much for the useful and informative post. Do you know by any chance what the concealed cam interface is for at the back of the sky boxes?

Never looked at it, don't use S*y boxes really, but would hazard
a guess if you try accessing "concealed cam interface" response
would be ACCESS DENIED:playingball:

lawler83
29th January, 2012, 11:52 AM
can you help? recently bought a secondhand sky+ HD bod (ex west mids area) we live in Yorks... our sky card (with subscription) wont work in the new box.. is there any way round this?

Manic01
29th January, 2012, 05:37 PM
can you help? recently bought a secondhand sky+ HD bod (ex west mids area) we live in Yorks... our sky card (with subscription) wont work in the new box.. is there any way round this?

Phone sky to get it paired to receiver. It's free to do.

DEK2000
2nd February, 2012, 07:25 PM
Any tips would be gratefully received thank you.

oldgit71
7th February, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have just cancelled Sky and they have removed my ability to record and replay recorded programs on my Sky+ box. Is there a way to override their programming or has this been done on the viewing card?

Manic01
7th February, 2012, 01:58 PM
?10 per month req to use rec function.

oldgit71
7th February, 2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks, trying to avoid using sky at any cost so trying to get round the problem in different ways as I now have a useless Sky+ box

Manic01
7th February, 2012, 07:38 PM
If you have an older version sky card, blue house if it had sky+ activated on it.
It will still let you use rec facility.

umesh10
13th February, 2012, 12:55 AM
Sky getting cancelled next month but for past 2 weeks have not been able to playback any programs? If I set them to record it will say recording and then recording never ends up recording sometimes it says failed or part rec but nothing plays back also in tv guide it wont show any information about programmes? it says program synonyms not available?

mtv1
13th February, 2012, 01:20 AM
Sky getting cancelled next month but for past 2 weeks have not been able to playback any programs? If I set them to record it will say recording and then recording never ends up recording sometimes it says failed or part rec but nothing plays back also in tv guide it wont show any information about programmes? it says program synonyms not available?

thats coz there vindictive basads and have stopped you recording or watching old recordings u have made :mad: you could ring them and complain and say your payed for this month but as soon as your sub is over its dead :(

Kevinarmstrong
13th February, 2012, 04:27 PM
Just registered, Pace Sky box lost signal and won't scan for channels. This is after a power cut of an hour or so, nothing else has changed. Will try the tutorial here when I am allowed to download it. Hope for the best!

BennyBebop
15th February, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm just wondering why my sky hd is slow. It works fine from upstairs using a wireless sender via the scart port. Downstairs the remote seems sluggish. I've checked the batteries and both remotes. It seems to be a problem on the box with the IR receiver. Any thoughts or fixes.

elpoblo
15th February, 2012, 11:51 PM
can you flash the sky box and use an older version of their menu

biznitch
16th February, 2012, 05:05 PM
can this help box stop freezing when coming out of standby

fhani80
8th March, 2012, 08:23 PM
can i chip sky white box???if ye how....any guide or link that may help

stinakris
22nd March, 2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for this guide, it helped me get my box back up and running again, although i smell something rather suspicious from skys end as my warranty has only just expired!

steve3123
24th March, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm just wondering why my sky hd is slow. It works fine from upstairs using a wireless sender via the scart port. Downstairs the remote seems sluggish. I've checked the batteries and both remotes. It seems to be a problem on the box with the IR receiver. Any thoughts or fixes.

Believe it or not, certain types of energy saving lightbulbs can interfere with remote signals. Ours used to go crazy everytime the hallway light was turned on.

migsthemerciless
26th April, 2012, 09:48 PM
Is this how this forum works? You moderate out all posts you don't like? Good luck for the future. I'm sure you'll have fun talking to yourself.

Shady
26th April, 2012, 09:49 PM
i often do.
come in the chatbox and talk to us friend :)

Bulld0g
26th April, 2012, 09:49 PM
No just the ones that are meaningless and shite ;)

Nutsandbolts
3rd May, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi. Sorry if it has already been asked but can a sky box be used to tune in other satellites like Hotbird? Regards.

davvo
3rd May, 2012, 10:26 AM
yes in Add Channels
but symbol rate is limited

Nutsandbolts
3rd May, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Davvo. Thanks for that. Its for my cousin who is getting a sky box from Italy and wants to get Italian channels from Hotbird. I will try it when he gets the box. Many thanks.

Manic01
3rd May, 2012, 12:59 PM
Italian skybox will already be on 13e.

Nutsandbolts
3rd May, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hi Manic. Thanks for reply. They get Italian channels in Italy using TIVUSAT box and dont use sky box anymore thats why they want to bring it to London to give to my cousin. I just need to know if it can be tuned manually for Hotbird or will it pick up channels automatically. Regards.

Manic01
3rd May, 2012, 01:29 PM
If its a Sky italia stb then it's for 13e already.

Nutsandbolts
3rd May, 2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I dont know if its a sky box like in the UK or standard STB. I will know in 2 weeks and see what happens. Thanks for your input. Take care.

Nutsandbolts
14th May, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hi guys. Got the Sky box from Italy working on Hotbird for my cousin. It's an AMSTRAD DRX500i box made in China. It has an out of date Sky card and was wondering if the card can be re-activated free of charge. Thanks for your help.

Maggieh
16th May, 2012, 06:42 PM
Just wondering about my sky+ hd box, a few weeks ago we bought a new tv and connected the sky up to it ourselves. Once we turned on the tv, record would't work and it also says programme synopsis not available on every programme, there are more problems but these are the main ones. An engineer came to the house to install multiroom for us, so I asked him if he could fix it. He bent down to the sky box and appeared to push a button on the back, a notification popped on the screen saying something like it would be finished in ten minutes. The engineer said that when the box went off that I was to turn it back on and it would be fixed. So I did, and it worked. You're probably wondering why I'm even posting now then. I ended up having to remove the HDMI cable from the back and when I turned it back on, the record etc. wouldn't work, to my frustration. I thought I would simply look at the back of the box and find a reset button...but to no avail. I can't for the life of me figure out how he managed to reset it so quickly. In addition to this, all of my recordings and series links remained on the box when I turned it back on. If the answer to this question is in the download on thread page one then no need to reply, as I have to post in order to read it. Thanks :)

dmcforest
24th June, 2012, 09:11 AM
HI All, Just registered.I have a Sky HD Box and I cancelled my subscription a month ago so last night as expected I lost most of my channels but I didn't expect to lose BBC1 HD.
I believe I need Symbol Rate 23000 to tune this channel and my Sky Box doesn't have this option.Is there anyway round this problem ?
I was really looking forward to watching the remaining games of Euro 2012 and BBC1 HD has all these games.Hope some of ye guys can help me out.
Thanks,
Dermot

dick b
16th September, 2012, 01:44 PM
heres some info on forced downloads card pairing etc all tried and tested on DRX 595

Damidgaf
16th September, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hi All,
I've got a Thomson Sky HD box which all of a sudden has come up with this system fault HP-52J - unable to view recordings or record.
I have noticed that when the receiver is switched on after power has been removed, the hard drive is heard to 'run up' but then there are two sometimes three 'beeps' heard.

1. Have tried Software Update - no change.

2. Have tried a planner re-build using the remote but after the message 'Carrying Out Houskeeping Please Wait' appears for a fraction of a second nothing happens!

3. Have tried re-formatting using the front panel L&R buttons, the Sky blue ring flashes but when L&R buttons are released and Select is pressed the receiver goes to stand-by mode and re-boots after about a minute!

4. Have installed Copy+ on to PC and backed up all my recordings as an image file on my PC and using Disk Manager deleted the partition on the Sky Box hard drive; then copied the image back on to the hard drive - I do believe by doing this it re-formats the hard drive before copying the files.

5. Once the files had been copied I recieved a message informing me that some system files had been damaged on the source disk - I assume that is the image file. Anyway after fitting the hard drive back into the receiver and switching it on, I again carried out a System Software Update - problem still exists!!!

6. Have also noticed that information for any programme can only be viewed when that programme has been selected.

7. All the Capacitors on the PSU where replaced about 6 months ago.

Can anybody help

podell911
5th October, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hi, I am new to this but our DRX 895-C will freeze about once or twice a week. Forced reset gets it working again but is not a perminant cure. On older boxes this type of problem was fixed by replacing the capacitors in the PSU (now integrated on the mother board) Has anyone tried replacing these? What was the result?

chrisjeb
18th October, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hi guys,
I found this site while trying to get info on the slow sky box problem, and I am glad I did as it would appear from reading this that I am not the only one with this problem. I have found that replacing the batteries in the remote control makes a bit of difference to the speed but doesn't totally fix the problem, so from what I have read I may need to either do a reset or defragment the disk. I will probably try the latter first and see how I get on. Thanks to all the people who have posted such useful info on this site.

Chris.

garyscdti
24th October, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi I have an Amstrad Sky HD box 500gig and it says 3D on the front to if that helps with what the model number is (DRX890?).

I have a problem of no being able to turn the bugger off!:bawling:

The LED flashes to show its accepting the signal (I even tried turning it off on the box) but it still refuses to turn off.
So I have to kill the power to do it. Its ok for a few days then goes again. Never had any trouble turning it on though.

Anyone else had this?

garyscdti
13th November, 2012, 07:19 AM
I sorted my problem. I did a forced software update and now use a REV9 remote.Don't know which of these changes fixed it but it has.

Antis172
11th December, 2012, 11:32 PM
hI I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING EVERY WERE FOR THIS TYPE ON INFO...
NEADLESS TO SAY MY SKYBOX HAS JUST GONE DOWN,,,AFTER I REFUSED XTRA WARRENTY FROM SKYS TELEPHONE CALL!!! HMMM SMELL A PLOT .

MANY THANKS
ARC
I think you may have a point, got acall from warranty company tonight , politely told him where he stick his warranty, lo and behold within a couple of hours no record function gone. coincidence!!! I dont think so, does SKY think we are stupid, we know full well that function is controled by them, just who do they think they are foolin!!!!

benny7
13th December, 2012, 12:28 PM
i have cancelled sky i still have some programmes on my box that i recorded is there any way of watching these
also anyway i can still record with out having to pay sky for it cheers

garyscdti
14th December, 2012, 08:08 AM
i have cancelled sky i still have some programmes on my box that i recorded is there any way of watching these
also anyway i can still record with out having to pay sky for it cheers
No & no I'm afraid.
Unless someone comes along & tells us something I've never heard about.

sally123
12th January, 2013, 09:25 PM

have a skybox m3 input password problem to alter sats etc not got password ??help:goodpost:

gangee
1st February, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hi New here have a pace 3000 sky box this has probably been asked before but how do I access pin number regards

Ardleystar
5th February, 2013, 05:12 PM
I live in Bulgaria and use to get all the sports channels, now for some inexplicable reason I can't get 403 or 409 non HD on my Sky Plus HD box.
Should I perform a reset or can you suggest something else?

Tnx
Ardleystar

Ardleystar
5th February, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hi New here have a pace 3000 sky box this has probably been asked before but how do I access pin number regards
Last four digits on your Sky viewing card

randersod
7th August, 2013, 08:16 PM
what can i expect to able to view on a sky+plus HD box as a non suscriber

digicon
7th August, 2013, 09:10 PM
Just the FTA & FTV channels with your subscription card

plutox2
1st October, 2013, 07:52 PM
dont surpose you know how you can box office films on sky+ box

maddog1956
5th March, 2014, 08:46 PM
is they any way that you can use your sky+hd box to play catch up tv thanks

zish123
15th May, 2015, 07:42 PM
I still have my sky+HD box without subscription so unable to pause, rewind or record. So if I do this would I be able to pause, rewind and record again?

joe516
15th May, 2015, 08:22 PM
is they any way that you can use your sky+hd box to play catch up tv thanks

no m8................

joe516
15th May, 2015, 08:25 PM
I still have my sky+HD box without subscription so unable to pause, rewind or record. So if I do this would I be able to pause, rewind and record again?

?10 a month m8 for pause and rewind and record

Sattalk
3rd December, 2015, 01:28 AM
Sky no longer offer this option you can only purchase a minimum package to be able to use the pause and rewind.

?10 a month m8 for pause and rewind and record

oscar9381
11th December, 2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the info try it soon let you know i get on

white
19th January, 2016, 03:50 AM
If you reload the firmware following the instructions above " STAGE 3 "your recordings are still there, as soon as your into the box goto the planner and then the trash can and delete everything in there it could take a while but fixes the crashing problems. When they added the undelete function it created a problem where items in the trash can build up and the hdd becomes full, then when either you try and record or more often they add programmes for the on demand straight to your box it crashes the hard drive. going to catch up was nice especially when it said available now without down loading but its not so great when the hdd is full and you've forgot to delete the deleted programmes again.

mrsrizz
30th January, 2016, 09:29 AM
have got to be a sky subscriber to do this ive got a sky+ box with fta channels on it

joe516
30th January, 2016, 12:48 PM
have got to be a sky subscriber to do this ive got a sky+ box with fta channels on it

to do what? m8