PDA

View Full Version : setting up an adsl modem ?

Saltire
9th July, 2008, 03:22 AM
see when setting up an adsl modem for the first time (which i have never done).

Is it the same as cable modems like if you use an ethernet cable instead of the usb cable you then dont require drivers/setup software etc ??

Also, if its a wireless modem/router, will it have the option to hardwire it using the ethernet cable rather than only wireless option (i dont like wireless).

and finally, the phone socket that the modem uses, if theres no phone getting used on that socket, does that socket also require a microfilter even though theres no phone getting used on it ?

satman
9th July, 2008, 09:47 AM
see when setting up an adsl modem for the first time (which i have never done).

Is it the same as cable modems like if you use an ethernet cable instead of the usb cable you then dont require drivers/setup software etc ??

Also, if its a wireless modem/router, will it have the option to hardwire it using the ethernet cable rather than only wireless option (i dont like wireless).

and finally, the phone socket that the modem uses, if theres no phone getting used on that socket, does that socket also require a microfilter even though theres no phone getting used on it ?

1) Yes , if use ethernet cable no drivers required.
2) yes there will be hardwire options
3) Yes put microfilters on all,,, or when a phone rings thats no on a microfilter you will get booted off. Make sure if you have extension phone sockets your phone really doesnt go thru 2 microfilters or again you will occur problems.

Saltire
9th July, 2008, 04:41 PM
1) Yes , if use ethernet cable no drivers required.
2) yes there will be hardwire options
3) Yes put microfilters on all,,, or when a phone rings thats no on a microfilter you will get booted off. Make sure if you have extension phone sockets your phone really doesnt go thru 2 microfilters or again you will occur problems.

thanks mate.

can you tell me a bit more what you mean with this part "Make sure if you have extension phone sockets your phone really doesnt go thru 2 microfilters or again you will occur problems" ??

and, just wondering, i can remember away back in the golden oldie days of dialup modems, i had my dialup modem plugged into a socket that there was no phone plugged into, just the modem on its own and no microfilter, how come its changed now and your saying that a person needs a microfilter on such a socket ?

I will have the one main standard socket fitted by bt and iam going to buy one of them extension kits thats already wired etc so its just a case of plugging the extension into the main socket and then running the cable to the other room and attaching the extension socket to the wall, and as i say, the only place there will be a phone plugged in will be on the master socket.

hope that gives you more of an idea of my setup.
thanks again.

satman
9th July, 2008, 04:46 PM
thanks mate.

can you tell me a bit more what you mean with this part "Make sure if you have extension phone sockets your phone really doesnt go thru 2 microfilters or again you will occur problems" ??

and, just wondering, i can remember away back in the golden oldie days of dialup modems, i had my dialup modem plugged into a socket that there was no phone plugged into, just the modem on its own and no microfilter, how come its changed now and your saying that a person needs a microfilter on such a socket ?

I will have the one main standard socket fitted by bt and iam going to buy one of them extension kits thats already wired etc so its just a case of plugging the extension into the main socket and then running the cable to the other room and attaching the extension socket to the wall, and as i say, the only place there will be a phone plugged in will be on the master socket.

hope that gives you more of an idea of my setup.
thanks again.

Dial up is different from Dial up ADSL,,,,,,,, the microfilter splits the ADSL from your phone line so you have separate leads to ADSL and PHONE.

what i mean about watch for one going thru another,

Example,,
Phone in living room ( own Socket)
phone in Kitchen (own socket)
Phone In upstairs bedroom (own socket but actually fed off the main line downstairs)
Some/ in fact a lot, of upstairs connections have just been linked into the downstairs main line,, in which case if you had a filter upstairs and a filter on main line downstairs it would cause some trouble with getting booted off etc...

sounds ticky mate, but pile o piss, i am unfortunate not to get cable in my home area and rely on ADSL routers @ home.

Saltire
15th July, 2008, 03:42 AM
just reading these posts again, sorry about being ignorant to this adsl crap, but are you meaning, if a person has 1 main box say in the living room that bt fit, we shall call this box box 1 to make this easier, and the only other box will be and extension from box 1 which we will call box 2.

So are you saying, on box 1, a filter is needed on box 1 obvioulsy, yes ??

Ok, on box 1 there is a phone plugged in, and also an extension into another room to box 2 which will only have an adsl modem plugged into it and no phone.

This is whats confusing me, your mentioning about you shouldnt have two filters on the one line if its directly from the main box 1, is that correct ???

So would that not mean that box2 shouldnt have a filter fitted then ??? as its a direct extension from box1 that already has a filter.

You see how iam getting mixed up here, lol ??

satman
15th July, 2008, 08:37 AM
just reading these posts again, sorry about being ignorant to this adsl crap, but are you meaning, if a person has 1 main box say in the living room that bt fit, we shall call this box box 1 to make this easier, and the only other box will be and extension from box 1 which we will call box 2.

So are you saying, on box 1, a filter is needed on box 1 obvioulsy, yes ??

Ok, on box 1 there is a phone plugged in, and also an extension into another room to box 2 which will only have an adsl modem plugged into it and no phone.

This is whats confusing me, your mentioning about you shouldnt have two filters on the one line if its directly from the main box 1, is that correct ???

So would that not mean that box2 shouldnt have a filter fitted then ??? as its a direct extension from box1 that already has a filter.

You see how iam getting mixed up here, lol ??

More or less yes,, But you NEED the filter at the point of where the modem is going to be for the broadband, i) unless you have a modem cable as long as your extension cable or ii) move the phone on box1 to box2 where you will have a filter for the bb anyway....

you can try putting filters on box1 and box2, but i am 90% sure you will just hit some niggle wee troubles when people ring the line

Saltire
15th July, 2008, 02:27 PM
More or less yes,, But you NEED the filter at the point of where the modem is going to be for the broadband, i) unless you have a modem cable as long as your extension cable or ii) move the phone on box1 to box2 where you will have a filter for the bb anyway....

you can try putting filters on box1 and box2, but i am 90% sure you will just hit some niggle wee troubles when people ring the line

ahh, i think i see what youz are saying now, so i would be just as well to have no filter on box1, plug the extension into it and run the extension to box2 then have the filter there on box2 and the modem and the phone and therefore do away with the filter or phone on box1 ? thats ok then if thats what youz are meaning cause it really dont matter where the phone goes to me as its a cordless base unit iam using anyways, so most of the times the handsets are laying in other parts of house anyway.