PDA

View Full Version : Bricked or Broken ECU - Trying to Tune/Program

zak5665
3rd February, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm starting this thread to help the community to minimize such incidents in the future. Can we all share such experiences in detail mentioning the Reason: Tool (Genuine/Clone), Software (Original/crack), Human error etc.

Also state what actions were taken to solve the issue.

Regards

PS: I had a bad experience with a F10 ECU not so long ago trying open it up, will post with pictures soon.

pulsar2000
3rd February, 2016, 11:37 AM
Yes great interest also, had a few issues where bricked and required clone old and adapt to Doner. Having said this maybe 1 in every 200 or so, so failures twice in over 7 years.
As for edc15 i know recovery possible via Table using MPPS.
I now always have good (insurance) ie: a way of tuning on Bench if OBD fails,
always K Tag., etc Just in case, or another tool ie KEss if fgtech fails or vice versa

zak5665
3rd February, 2016, 12:52 PM
The BMW F10 ECU top cover is not just glued to the edges but also to some components like the Capacitors you see in the picture, if you try too hard to rip the cover open it would bring the caps along with it.

The second picture is a suggestion just to cut the area on the cover you need to access for the boot pin.355682355683

bbturbo
4th February, 2016, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the info. Just thinking aloud; would it work if you heat up the area (with a heat gun) and slowly pry the cover? Not sure if the customer is agreeable to having his ecu 'cut'.

zak5665
4th February, 2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Just thinking aloud; would it work if you heat up the area (with a heat gun) and slowly pry the cover? Not sure if the customer is agreeable to having his ecu 'cut'.

I'm not sure if heat will loosen up that gum on the outer edge but it does to the gum/silicon in the board (Grey), lets hear it from the more experienced.

pulsar2000
4th February, 2016, 09:46 AM
if you see you tube magic msport have a drill jig for F series BMW. dont think i would take on a BMW f series, as just looks very risky unless you have correct JIG

CustomCars
4th February, 2016, 11:28 AM
Drill is fast and really fast methods, hole is very little, easy to protect.

zak5665
4th February, 2016, 09:40 PM
Drill is fast and really fast methods, hole is very little, easy to protect.

Willing to share the templates ? if you got them to scale