PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection to dreambox, access point or bridge?

ss0000
21st August, 2009, 11:56 AM
I want to connect the dreambox wirelessly to the router and read a few threads here but just need some further assurance.
I understand that to enable me to connect my router (upstairs) to the dreambox (downstairs) I need to hook up a wireless bridge to the dreambox.
My question is will an access point be ok? I believe an access point is similar to a bridge but just need further assurance.
Also if an access point will do, is this one ok to use.
TL-WA501G (http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=36)

anyone else use this model or similar?
thanks in advance

Swiftie
21st August, 2009, 12:12 PM
Should be fine, but what router have you got?

Personally I have done many bridge setups using DG834G's v3 and upwards. Not strictly for dreamboxes but for IT.

Sicilian
21st August, 2009, 12:14 PM
This defo works Buffalo Technology - Products - WLI-TX4-G54HP : Wireless-G MIMO Performance* Ethernet Converter (http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/wli-tx4-g54hp-wireless-g-mimo-performance-ethernet-converter/) I know cos i've been using one for years. Also has a 4 port switch so you can hook up other stuff like ps3, xbox, another PC etc...

Dont think an access point works, I think you'ed need to set it up as bridge if you used what your suggesting.

caveman_nige
21st August, 2009, 12:19 PM
I use these myself and at ?15 a go you can't complain

Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Gaming Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

ss0000
21st August, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have a tp-link router which in my opinion are sound routers, simple and straightforward to setup and work well so I thought maybe same manufacturer bridge would be good, could not find one so wanted to ask about an access point.
Anyways thanks caveman_nige, the belkin one seems a proper bridge and its cheaper than the tp-link one so guess I'l go for the belkin!
thanks everyone for now...till it comes to setting it up!!

Sicilian
14th September, 2009, 08:04 AM

Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Gaming Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter/dp/B0002AGJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250853533&sr=8-1)

Do you know if this supports WPA2 encryption?

skegsagypsy
14th September, 2009, 08:36 AM
Doesn't look like it m8 according to the specs:

"Features wireless 64- and 128-bit WEP encryption"

Sicilian
14th September, 2009, 08:46 AM
Doesn't look like it m8 according to the specs:

"Features wireless 64- and 128-bit WEP encryption"

I didn't think it did. I need another, but i'll prob stick the buffalo model as I know this supports WPA2.

pande_monium
14th September, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Sic!

Just thinking aloud... won't the usb dongles (which come bundled with the routers these days) work for straight Wi-fi connection?

That's what they're for... but not sure how one would load the drivers for those darned boxes.

Has anybody tried doing that?

westkill
14th September, 2009, 05:49 PM
i use these powerline adaptors
powerline adapter, Computing, Consumer Electronics, Wholesale Job Lots items at low prices on eBay.co.uk (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=powerline+adapter&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

Fano
14th September, 2009, 07:43 PM
Also if an access point will do, is this one ok to use.
TL-WA501G (http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=36)

anyone else use this model or similar?
thanks in advance

I have one of these myself running with a TP Link 541G router.
Great combination,very stable,works very well for me.
Highly recommended.

caveman_nige
14th September, 2009, 07:48 PM
Do you know if this supports WPA2 encryption?

sorry for the delayed response... Yes they do support wpa2, i run both mine on wpa2.. Out of the box and up and running in 10 mins.. easyyyyyy

Sicilian
19th September, 2009, 06:01 AM
sorry for the delayed response... Yes they do support wpa2, i run both mine on wpa2.. Out of the box and up and running in 10 mins.. easyyyyyy

Damn belkin, why dont they put that on their specs!

I ended up buying another Buffalo model, could have saved myself 20 quid :(

Sicilian
19th September, 2009, 06:02 AM
Hey Sic!

Just thinking aloud... won't the usb dongles (which come bundled with the routers these days) work for straight Wi-fi connection?

That's what they're for... but not sure how one would load the drivers for those darned boxes.

Has anybody tried doing that?

Not sure how if a usb wifi dongle would work with a dreambox m8. Tbh I haven't come across anyone saying they've got one working.

ss0000
19th September, 2009, 02:31 PM
The question with a usb dongle is how would you set up drivers on the dreambox to get it working?
I managed to get the wireless gaming adaptor from amazon and use that.

zaf786
10th November, 2009, 03:42 PM

Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Gaming Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter/dp/B0002AGJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250853533&sr=8-1)
Hi i am looking for an adaptor for my dreambox to make it wireless i have belkin g plus router f5d9230-4 will this work for me
thanks

ss0000
11th November, 2009, 12:33 PM
This is a router and you probably can turn it into a bridge but you may need to flash it with the correct firmware. If you can do that then its possible otherwise get a proper wireless bridge/gaming adaptor. The reason they called 'gaming adaptors' is because they are mainly ideal for turning you xbox wireless so you can connect to the internet via your router wirelessly.

caveman_nige
11th November, 2009, 12:52 PM
@zaf786 yes, i use them for dreambox and xbox... i have connected them to netgear, belkin and linksys cisco routers so far... just connect them without encryption/security first so that connection is established and you are happy with it first then start adding wep or wpa security