PDA

View Full Version : Which Portable Sat Dish for S*y

PoshWindle
22nd August, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on sat dishes.

I've had a Starview 'The Box' and Kryptview for a few years now and had great fun with them. I also have a S*y+ box, dish and subscription and use that for main tv in our house.

We've been away in a caravan a couple of times this year and I bought a seperate s*y minidish and sat finder thinking I'd be able to settle down to watch the ashes, footy etc. Both times we've been away we've not been able to get a strong enough signal and therefore failed.

Is it as simple as I need a bigger dish? Also, is it better to have a solid one as opposed to a mesh one?

Thought I'd ask before I rush out and buy one.

I've been thinking about giving the sat option a go for a while so the dish would also double up as my first adventure into the land of sat receviers being used at home - any advice on what to buy would be greatly received.

When I last looked at doing this I was advised to buy a 1M motorised Lemon dish and Technomate.

Thanks

opsmonkey
22nd August, 2009, 09:04 PM
where have you been away in your caravan..?? A Sky mesh dish is fine for receiving signals in the UK.. it must purely be down to your setup when you are away.. check the coax cable, connectors and LNB

its no good getting a 1m motorised dish if all you have is a Sky+ box as Sky boxes are only useable on Astra 28E

PoshWindle
23rd August, 2009, 09:46 AM
I thought it would be but can't work out why I can't get it working.

Just Oxfordshire, Cotswolds and Dorset.

The sat finder gets a signal based on the dish pointing in approx the same direction as other s*y dishes but no signal comes through on the box. That would suggest the coaxial is ok.

I'm going to try it in the bak garden today.

So will any dish/lnb combination work with a s*y box?

fig1
23rd August, 2009, 11:22 AM
Satellite LNB's from Aerial Shack (http://www.aerialshack.com/satellite-satellite-lnbs-c-4_47.html?gclid=CIqPhKLHuZwCFU0B4wodXQ4gnA)

dick b
23rd August, 2009, 11:38 AM
I thought it would be but can't work out why I can't get it working.

Just Oxfordshire, Cotswolds and Dorset.

The sat finder gets a signal based on the dish pointing in approx the same direction as other s*y dishes but no signal comes through on the box. That would suggest the coaxial is ok.

I'm going to try it in the bak garden today.

So will any dish/lnb combination work with a s*y box?

there are alot of satellites around the 28.5 location you could easily be picking up one of those and get a stong signal on your sat beeper but no picture. try locating other sats with the beeper and keep checking the result.any std offset dish and universal lnb is fine.

mm009b
23rd August, 2009, 11:48 AM
try bbc 1 london t/p 10773 h as supplied by jackpot in sticky's

as dick b says you might be locking onto 28.4 they so close to each other ist's just needing tweeked good luck

PoshWindle
23rd August, 2009, 09:23 PM
Are there any gadgets out there that can tell me what sat I'm pointing at?

Fig - I've got the quad LNB in your link.

I'm thinking of purchasing a technomate plus 1M motor dish for around ?160 from Wizard - I guess the only thing I'm intersted in is sport, mainly premier league football.....anyone know if this is any good for an established cablebod/newbie sat tryout......

b4 anyone asks, yes I'm familiar with ftp servers, but not so familiar with linux code!!! will the set up give me enjoyment and the odd 3pm live footy game without blowing my head?

I guess what I'm asking is.....there's so much information on this site about everything which is great...but we all have to start somewhere and take the plunge....the dish and receiver I'm referring to may not be everbody's cup of tea but for a starter is it ok wihtout being to technologially advanced?

Thanks

PW

dick b
24th August, 2009, 01:54 PM
Are there any gadgets out there that can tell me what sat I'm pointing at?

Fig - I've got the quad LNB in your link.

I'm thinking of purchasing a technomate plus 1M motor dish for around ?160 from Wizard - I guess the only thing I'm intersted in is sport, mainly premier league football.....anyone know if this is any good for an established cablebod/newbie sat tryout......

b4 anyone asks, yes I'm familiar with ftp servers, but not so familiar with linux code!!! will the set up give me enjoyment and the odd 3pm live footy game without blowing my head?

I guess what I'm asking is.....there's so much information on this site about everything which is great...but we all have to start somewhere and take the plunge....the dish and receiver I'm referring to may not be everbody's cup of tea but for a starter is it ok wihtout being to technologially advanced?

Thanks

PW

the meters that tell you what sat you are on are available but are expensive, sat beepers are cheap and should be good enough for the occasional set up.

I know nothing about linux based receivers I"m afraid but there are plenty of people on this site to help you with them.

a 1 metre motorised dish should be fine for most things but the STB you put with it will be down to how advanced you want to be.I"m happy keeping it simple.you dont say what technomate you were thinking of Ive got a couple of them,a tm1000d I have had for about 4yrs and a TM6800HD I bought about 3 months ago and I cant fault either of them,but I"d be wary when dealing with w*z*rd. check out some of the other ones before making you mind up.