PDA

View Full Version : DM500 500c questions. Missing Ch, cable.xml newport/cardiff?

welshbhoy
23rd August, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have searched and read up on missing channels and scanned and rescanned several times. I tried using Cardiff, not found, Swansea not found and Port Talbot, not found. I then Bruteforced and I found 2 more TV channels. I then used CableUK sym6887, CableUK Sym6952 and NTL MMDs, it didn't find any more.

Not sure how many channels are definitely missing, the ones I know for sure are ITV2, ITV 3, FilmFour, FilmFour +1, ESPN, Alibi, GOLD, Hallmark. I'm in Newport which is Pure.

Would ANY pure N*L cable.xml work or just for my particular area?

It's a real pain in the bum missing these channels, especially ESPN for the football.

I found some channels frequencies but they're for when you add extra channels to a Sky box. Does it work on the same format when adding channels to a dreambox?

If anyone has the frequencies for any of the missing channels I would appreciate them.

Also, is there any way of renumbering the channels? I ask because I know the N*L channel numbers but with the dreambox they're all over the place. Sky Sports 1 is 511 for example SS2 512 and SS3, 513, Sky 1, 121. Could I set up the channels in the dreambox the same as the N*L box?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

:celticscarf: :scarf2: :celticscarf: :scarf2:

alexh
24th August, 2009, 06:58 PM
I tried using Cardiff, not found, Swansea not found and Port Talbot, not found. I then Bruteforced and I found 2 more TV channels. I then used CableUK sym6887, CableUK Sym6952 and NTL MMDs, it didn't find any more.
These are all "Automatic" scans. Contrary to popular belief automatic scanning is not algorithmic, nor is it exhaustive. It uses a file (included with most images) called cables.xml. A list of symbol rates & frequencies to scan. If frequency & symbol rate for the transponder containing the missing channels is not in that file no matter how many scans you do the dreambox will never find it.

The best chance is to find someone in your area who can tell you the frequency of one of the missing channels with which you can perform a manual scan. That person must be on the same network (i.e. ex NTL/TW/C&W) and area for the transponder frequencies to be the same.

The next best chance is to check and if necessary update your cables.xml file to one with more frequencies.

Would ANY pure N*L cable.xml work or just for my particular area?
Depends how old it is and if VM in your area have recently moved to using any new transponder frequencies

An alternative to "Automatic" scans are manual ones. Turn to a working channel, use the menu to find scanning and select a manual transponder scan. In the dialog box, select "NETWORK SCAN" option. This will use the PSI information contained within the MPEG transport stream to perform a search. The PSI contains the symbol rates and frequencies for all the other transponders on the network. Only problem is Virgin regularly screw up the PSI tables and miss out the odd transponder or two.

There are lots of bugs in the Engima software for manual Network scanning on the VM network. It often mistakes ancillary data channels for TV channels and vice versa. So after your network scan you will undoubtably have some new channels listed at the top of your ALL SERVICES list. They will have some strange alpha-numeric name to them. Select each in turn and wait for a bit, even if there is no TV picture. Bring up the ALL SERVICES list and wait for a while and usually before your eyes that channel you selected will be removed and the list updated as the software re-parses the transponder information correctly finding new channels. Repeat until they are all gone.

It is a tedious task so when you're finished backup your services file via FTP to your PC.

Oh, one more thing. There is a bug in most Enigma images which means the services file is not stored to flash until the box is rebooted. Powerloss or a crash weeks later can leave you with missing channels once again! So when you're happy, remember to reboot your box using the main menu.

I found some channels frequencies but they're for when you add extra channels to a Sky box. Does it work on the same format when adding channels to a dreambox???

If anyone has the frequencies for any of the missing channels I would appreciate them.
They vary from region to region and are especially different between the former cable providers (NTL, TW, C&W)

Also, is there any way of renumbering the channels? I ask because I know the N*L channel numbers but with the dreambox they're all over the place.
The DigitalWorlds Neutrino v2.0 image has the option for identical numbering to VM.

Alternatively you might be able to FTP into your box and then edit your own services file and change each entry. But I've never tried it and have no idea if it would work. Might be easier using an Enigma services editor such as DreamBoxEdit.

ianskill
20th October, 2009, 12:14 PM
i know this is an old thread but since virgin changed some of the channels around to the lower end frequencies my dm500c struggles on the signal on around 9 channels,always breaks up,i tried different images,all the same. if it helps,i have the frequencies for north west area you could try. i think the good thing with the dw image as said is the numbering same as virgin media,unfortunatley for me and ipbox/dreamboxedit not been able to do it.

mini
20th October, 2009, 01:38 PM
I did a dreambox for a mate and I live in huddersfield. When I did a scan using set my location in the menu, I had to use lanarkshire to get the channels while doig a scan. That was on the DK1.1 image. Just try all the areas and see if one of them work, what image are you using?

dehowletts
10th November, 2009, 11:28 PM
I have the exact same problem as the original post but it's only just happened!??

i.e. the channels have just disappeared!?

aNYONE ANY SUGGESTIONS purlease?

oops sorry didn't mean to shout

dehowletts
11th November, 2009, 11:57 PM
ooops i found a pm that solved this problem for me when I had it b4!!

welshboy if you're still struggling let me know & I'll forwar you the mail ok?