PDA

View Full Version : need some basic advice please

leec32
10th April, 2016, 12:04 PM
hi guys

as the topic says im looking for some basic advice please

so atm i have a sky subscription multi room without sports also a few kodi boxes in the house kodi been for the movies and sport but looking for something more stable for the sport channels and a bit more simple for the kids to use in their bedrooms

1. which type of box would be best for me to buy this been for SAT only and a option to record

2. can i run a current sky subscription and also run a gzemma box on the same dish as i wouldn't want to cancel sky in the main room, these boxes would be for other rooms
i also may need to run wifi until i can get ethernet cables from the router to the rooms unless there is any other options ?

3. once i have purchased the correct box what then is the procedure to get these up and running, could anyone provide any links/tutorials of what is needed ?

any help would be appreciated as im looking to buy and get it up and running asap

thanks in advance guys

martin035
10th April, 2016, 01:04 PM
1. Zgemma 2s
2. a/ Yes, as long as there is a couple free ports on your LNB on your sat dish, then just get a sat installer to run some new cables from the dish to your other rooms.
2. b/ You can get compatible Wifi Dongles of the bay for the Zgemma or get Homeplugs or for a Wifi only box look at a Edision OS Mini it has built in Wifi.
3. If you get a Zgemma 2s then http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/491974-Zgemma-2s-OpenAtv-5-2-Backup-Image-with-Improved-ky-Skin

leec32
10th April, 2016, 01:12 PM
1. Zgemma 2s
2. a/ Yes, as long as there is a couple free ports on your LNB on your sat dish, then just get a sat installer to run some new cables from the dish to your other rooms.
2. b/ You can get compatible Wifi Dongles of the bay for the Zgemma or get Homeplugs or for a Wifi only box look at a Edision OS Mini it has built in Wifi.
3. If you get a Zgemma 2s then http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/491974-Zgemma-2s-OpenAtv-5-2-Backup-Image-with-Improved-ky-Skin

thanks for that

another question although it might sound dumb lol but if i was to add a dvb tuner to my pci slot is it possible to use my windows 7 pc as a tuner in the same way a gzemma box would work
as i say it might sound dumb but im not familiar with these sort of systems and how they work as yet.

thanks

martin035
10th April, 2016, 01:26 PM
thanks for that

another question although it might sound dumb lol but if i was to add a dvb tuner to my pci slot is it possible to use my windows 7 pc as a tuner in the same way a gzemma box would work
as i say it might sound dumb but im not familiar with these sort of systems and how they work as yet.

thanks

You would need a dvb-s or dvb-s2 card for HD then some compatible software to view the channels ie DVBviewer. I've only done this with a dvb-t tuner and windows media centre before. But what I do at present is use Kodi to connect my PC to my Zgemma wirelessly.

leec32
10th April, 2016, 01:45 PM
You would need a dvb-s or dvb-s2 card for HD then some compatible software to view the channels ie DVBviewer. I've only done this with a dvb-t tuner and windows media centre before. But what I do at present is use Kodi to connect my PC to my Zgemma wirelessly.

ok thanks i can try that at a later date once i get the gzemma box and familiarize myself with everything
in the main room i have sky which im keeping and also kodi on my windows pc with hdmi lead to the tv so it would make sense to run another cable from the lnb to the pc and keep everything simple
the bedrooms i can run gzemma boxes from them

thanks

martin035
10th April, 2016, 01:59 PM
so for example i buy the gzemma 2s i then flash it with the link you provided is that it up and running all sky channels ?

The Backup image on the link provided will give you all the Free to Air channels, what you do with the image after is you to you.

what about ppv or sports or hd channels whats available whats not etc

The majority of HD channels went blank years ago only Free to air HD available and a few other but no $ky HD

also subscription trying to get an idea of whats needed

Nothings Free, subscription is required which is also a good time to remind you of the forum rules as discuss such things isn't allowed unfortunately.

leec32
10th April, 2016, 02:03 PM
ok thank you for that information and sorry about that i was getting ahead of myself and didn't think about the rules which i will in future :)