PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Jeep Wrangler question

jbvictor
28th April, 2016, 04:27 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering, is it possible at all for the C76 TSSOP chip information in Wrangler dash to affect the gauge needle calibration? I'm quite sure it cannot, but I want to be sure. As I understand it, other chips control the gauge needle calibration. Any clarification or correction would be appreciated, thank you.

clusters
28th April, 2016, 04:31 AM
Gauge operation yes, calibration not sure but nothing would surprise me.

The MCU uses info from the eeprom to control the gauge controller ICs, but where the cal info is is a mystery to most except the engineers. lol

Plcautoparts
28th April, 2016, 04:41 AM
I agree with clusters, the information on the eeprom will somehow affect the functionality of the needles, weird that you ask, but today i had a customer brought me a 2002 Lexus ES300 that needles didnt work, eeprom data was corrupted , we had a working cluster, we swapped epproms and needles work on the defective cluster with the donor eeprom. So I guess that answers your question!
regards

jbvictor
28th April, 2016, 04:50 AM
Gauge operation yes, calibration not sure but nothing would surprise me.

The MCU uses info from the eeprom to control the gauge controller ICs, but where the cal info is is a mystery to most except the engineers. lol

That's interesting, as I had thought that the MCU uses info from other parts of the car like speed sensors to control the gauge cluster ICs. You've certainly answered my question though, thanks.

I agree with clusters, the information on the eeprom will somehow affect the functionality of the needles, weird that you ask, but today i had a customer brought me a 2002 Lexus ES300 that needles didnt work, eeprom data was corrupted , we had a working cluster, we swapped epproms and needles work on the defective cluster with the donor eeprom. So I guess that answers your question!
regards

Not sure if that applies to universally to all vehicles. I would assume different automakers store slightly different data in each eeprom, but thanks for the advice either way. Both of you certainly answered my question, thanks.

clusters
28th April, 2016, 04:58 AM
That's interesting, as I had thought that the MCU uses info from other parts of the car like speed sensors to control the gauge cluster ICs. You've certainly answered my question though, thanks.
It does, it takes data from different sensors and the PCM and uses that to control the gauge ICs based on some stored parameters. Some are stored in the eeprom, some in the MCU flash. It will vary from car to car of course.

For instance, I messed up on a Km to Mi conversion with the wrong byte, and the gauges went wacky. The bytes in question usually only control the odometer display. On another one, the cluster wouldn't even power up till I corrected it. Nobody knows what all is stored in the eeproms, just the engineers. Or people with the time to change byte by byte at a time to see what it does, but they will never map it 100%.

Glad we could help. :)