PDA

View Full Version : Stream from PC to TV

yaas
26th August, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hi Guys!Hope somebody can advise me!

I have a HP IQ520 All In One Touchsmart PC & I want to mirror the image on the PC to my HDTV. I used to do that with my old PC through the DVi socket,but this PC has not got a socket at the back.
There is no SVideo Socket either.

Is there anyway for me to round this?

Thanks.

chroma
27th August, 2009, 04:33 AM
either by getting another card with dual head ability (two ports) or just getting another card and running both simultaneously and using the 2nd as a slave.

yaas
27th August, 2009, 12:14 PM
either by getting another card with dual head ability (two ports) or just getting another card and running both simultaneously and using the 2nd as a slave.

Can you explain in more details please?

Chimaera
27th August, 2009, 07:20 PM
Either buy a graphics card with a dual output ie you can plug two monitors onto it, commonly the modern ones come with a dvi ouput which looks like this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/DVI_Connector_Pinout.svg/300px-DVI_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

with the correct adaptors you will be able to output your hdmi straight to tv

Bear in mind you will also have to use a single stereo line like the one on a headphone set but with the plug both ends to carry your sound across to the tv as hdmi is a video format not audio.

Or you buy a second graphic card and set it as secondary in your display properties in control panel [ be carefull as you can cause conflicts if not set right]

Hope that helps

yaas
27th August, 2009, 07:57 PM
You are a star:congrats: Chimaera!Thanks for the lesson.
Dont worry about the audio, I am planning to use my PC Speakers for the sound. I have a 3.1 Logitech speaker set which is more than enough for the sound.

Sorry to be a pain, but have you got any idea where I could pick up a USB Graphics Adapter for a decent price as I have just spent a fortune on this PC.The cheapest I have seen them is for ?38.99 on Ebay.
Hope you can help.

Thanks again!

yaas
30th August, 2009, 10:06 AM
Ryt Guys!
I've done some research & been asking a few question.
But now I am stuck,AGAIN!:hmmmm2:

The USB Graphics Adapter on Ebay all support a max of 1680x1050 resolution and thats what my PC is.
But my TV is Full HD 1080p.

Will the Graphics Adapter work once I plug it into the TV through a DVi to HDMI Cable?:hmmmm2:

chroma
1st September, 2009, 05:42 AM
1080p refers to 1080 pixels on the vertical plane...
The p bit we'll tackle in a moment

TV's Monitors and video gubbins explained.

Standard TV's come in two flavours, PAL (uk europe etc) and NTSC (america japan etc)
These have fundamental differences.
NTSC runs at 525 lines (although only 480 of these are visable meaning it runs at a resoloution of 480i) this runs at 60 Fields per second
PAL runs at 625 lines (although 576 are visable so its really 576i) this runs at only 50 Fields per second.

WTF is a field? simply put, transmitting a photo over the air takes a lot of bandwidth, this pushes the frequency too high and the higher the frequency the less distance it will transfer before it runs into problems.
Take that photo, say its vertical resoloution is 625 lines high, you can split it into 2 fields (one field consists of every odd line, so lines 1st,3rd,5th,7th,9th,11th.. etc and another field of evens the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th,10th.. etc)
So instead of a full image youve got two images now that look as if your seeing them through a set of blinds.
This means that you have two sets of pictures that only need half the bandwidth to transfer.
Luckily enough the phosphor on a tv has the curious property of sustaining a glow long after its been struck by an electron. so you can recievea field and scan down that, then recieve the other and scan that BEFORE the ist one goes dark, thusly fooling the feeble minds of men into believeing theyre seeing the whole picture.

The whole sorry lot is called INTERLACING (which is what the i stands for) it does have some very nasty drawbacks, as the frequency increases the combs begin to missmatch, so you need to keep a constant stuttery framerate or else it all falls to bits.

Progressive scan (p), just works by using up extra bandwidth and displaying the entire photo without all the faffing around with fields, meaning pictures liik stuttery at low frame rates but at higher rates they look far more lifelike than fields.

Now with HDTV's you get all kinds of resoloutions and frequencies to play with, idealy the higher the framerate the better as with resoloution.

Monitor and graphics card resoloutions are described by HORIZONTAL x VERTICAL pixels.
So the USB card will output at maximum a 1050p picture which is shy of the full hd mark, although it will run 720i and 720p video without a problem (most likely at 60hz)

Expect the next focus of TV's to be on framerate rather than resoloution, there comes a point when adding more pixels becomes meaningless to the human eye so the next thing will be better colour depth and increased frequency to lessen stuttering, 120hz is already on the market, expect faster in the future.

yaas
1st September, 2009, 12:21 PM
1080p refers to 1080 pixels on the vertical plane...
The p bit we'll tackle in a moment

TV's Monitors and video gubbins explained.

Standard TV's come in two flavours, PAL (uk europe etc) and NTSC (america japan etc)
These have fundamental differences.
NTSC runs at 525 lines (although only 480 of these are visable meaning it runs at a resoloution of 480i) this runs at 60 Fields per second
PAL runs at 625 lines (although 576 are visable so its really 576i) this runs at only 50 Fields per second.

WTF is a field? simply put, transmitting a photo over the air takes a lot of bandwidth, this pushes the frequency too high and the higher the frequency the less distance it will transfer before it runs into problems.
Take that photo, say its vertical resoloution is 625 lines high, you can split it into 2 fields (one field consists of every odd line, so lines 1st,3rd,5th,7th,9th,11th.. etc and another field of evens the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th,10th.. etc)
So instead of a full image youve got two images now that look as if your seeing them through a set of blinds.
This means that you have two sets of pictures that only need half the bandwidth to transfer.
Luckily enough the phosphor on a tv has the curious property of sustaining a glow long after its been struck by an electron. so you can recievea field and scan down that, then recieve the other and scan that BEFORE the ist one goes dark, thusly fooling the feeble minds of men into believeing theyre seeing the whole picture.

The whole sorry lot is called INTERLACING (which is what the i stands for) it does have some very nasty drawbacks, as the frequency increases the combs begin to missmatch, so you need to keep a constant stuttery framerate or else it all falls to bits.

Progressive scan (p), just works by using up extra bandwidth and displaying the entire photo without all the faffing around with fields, meaning pictures liik stuttery at low frame rates but at higher rates they look far more lifelike than fields.

Now with HDTV's you get all kinds of resoloutions and frequencies to play with, idealy the higher the framerate the better as with resoloution.

Monitor and graphics card resoloutions are described by HORIZONTAL x VERTICAL pixels.
So the USB card will output at maximum a 1050p picture which is shy of the full hd mark, although it will run 720i and 720p video without a problem (most likely at 60hz)

Expect the next focus of TV's to be on framerate rather than resoloution, there comes a point when adding more pixels becomes meaningless to the human eye so the next thing will be better colour depth and increased frequency to lessen stuttering, 120hz is already on the market, expect faster in the future.

First of all, Thank YOU!:congrats:

Sorry to be a real noob, but does it mean that the Graphic Card I am willing to buy will stream the image to my TV?

By the way, the TV I have is a 600hz one.
Gaming is awesome on it!!!:vroam: