PDA

View Full Version : BBC iplayer and movie rental

macjst35
27th August, 2009, 09:34 PM
Hi all bbc iplayer is on its way to the ps3 simpler operation than before ,also movies to rent or buy in november 09
BBC iPlayer comes to Sony PS3 | T3 magazine (http://www.t3.com/news/bbc-iplayer-comes-to-sony-ps3?=40317:marchmellow::marchmellow:)

Raven
2nd September, 2009, 02:45 PM
BBC iPlayer is on there now with the firmware update that was released yesterday.....I'm also happy to report that the update doesn't appear to stuff up your Linux or the ability to install it on the original bigger PS3's as I checked and the options are still there - which to be honest surprised me as I thought the PS3 Slim's lack of Linux was going to be because of this update but evidently this assumption was in the end inaccurate.

I haven't tried out the iPlayer yet, but the new firmware update adds some depth to the OS screen because of things like dynamic themes, depth of field effect, more pronounced menus with dividers....I'm quite happy with it so far....my only criticism is two fold, 1 is that it's still the same OS style - just jazzed up a little, and 2 is that they took out the "Playstation 3" boot jingle when a game first boots.

clem58
13th September, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't no whether i'm not using these forums properly or its not just my kids who ignore me! been goin on for years still not used to it. can someone tell me how to stop the buffering when i'm watching novies on my ps3 the site i'm using is called divxcrawler.com I'd be delighted if someone could this for me.

clem58
13th September, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm able to view movies on my ps3 divxcrawler.com can you give me cure for the continuous buffering. :giveup::giveup:

Raven
13th September, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure mate, I'm pretty sure I tried the same thing but on a different site (joox.net) seemingly a constant buffer...the movie doesn't start.....and yet youtube videos are fine....sorry I can't really help other than this bit of info because I don't know the root cause...

dazza78
14th September, 2009, 02:25 PM
BBC iPlayer is on there now with the firmware update that was released yesterday.....I'm also happy to report that the update doesn't appear to stuff up your Linux or the ability to install it on the original bigger PS3's as I checked and the options are still there - which to be honest surprised me as I thought the PS3 Slim's lack of Linux was going to be because of this update but evidently this assumption was in the end inaccurate.

I haven't tried out the iPlayer yet, but the new firmware update adds some depth to the OS screen because of things like dynamic themes, depth of field effect, more pronounced menus with dividers....I'm quite happy with it so far....my only criticism is two fold, 1 is that it's still the same OS style - just jazzed up a little, and 2 is that they took out the "Playstation 3" boot jingle when a game first boots.

madness that is m8 . ive updated both my ps3's and the 1 upstairs has bbci player on it but my new 1 (off sony ) downstairs doesnt have it on !!

bit strange dont ya think?

ive been told its because the last digits are cecho4 on the bak ???
got any ideas raven m8??
thanks
dazza

Raven
15th September, 2009, 12:03 AM
None that are helpful lol, I've heard other people having the same issue....the only thing I can suggest is rather obvious....but it's a ~~~~ about....back up your PS3 system data to a USB hard drive (FAT32 formatted with enough space on it obviously lol) then try formatting your PS3 hard drive and starting over - hopefully it will load an older system software on it by default and you can start over and/or try again since the update could have maybe missed something - or if you don't like the new update use the older ones if the newer one isn't to taste - of course this lot is easier if you use the backup and restore section in the PS3 settings or even the restore default setting which also erases data (I think - could well have my settings mixed up but they are there - either way back up your data!)...just in case the total restart if you like doesn't have the desired effect regarding the updates you should backup anyhow so you don't lose anything or brick anything!

I'm absolutely certain that when I formatted a previous hard drive in a previous PS3 the system software was fine....but that was months ago - but when I recently upgraded my hard drive to a completely new one I had to manually download the system update from my PC and transfer it to my USB hard drive and load it that way....that's why I'm abit cautious because I don't want to say the wrong thing and you end up with a bricked PS3 and that's why it's important to back up all your data totally first making sure you have backed up your system software before anything else for obvious reasons.

I know it's frustrating when things like this happen and there's not much help floating around - especially when it seems a project to sort out too....sorry m8, you must be unlucky with PS3's - it's okay though I'm unlucky with Xbox360's lmao....

dazza78
23rd September, 2009, 11:18 AM
None that are helpful lol, I've heard other people having the same issue....the only thing I can suggest is rather obvious....but it's a ~~~~ about....back up your PS3 system data to a USB hard drive (FAT32 formatted with enough space on it obviously lol) then try formatting your PS3 hard drive and starting over - hopefully it will load an older system software on it by default and you can start over and/or try again since the update could have maybe missed something - or if you don't like the new update use the older ones if the newer one isn't to taste - of course this lot is easier if you use the backup and restore section in the PS3 settings or even the restore default setting which also erases data (I think - could well have my settings mixed up but they are there - either way back up your data!)...just in case the total restart if you like doesn't have the desired effect regarding the updates you should backup anyhow so you don't lose anything or brick anything!

I'm absolutely certain that when I formatted a previous hard drive in a previous PS3 the system software was fine....but that was months ago - but when I recently upgraded my hard drive to a completely new one I had to manually download the system update from my PC and transfer it to my USB hard drive and load it that way....that's why I'm abit cautious because I don't want to say the wrong thing and you end up with a bricked PS3 and that's why it's important to back up all your data totally first making sure you have backed up your system software before anything else for obvious reasons.

I know it's frustrating when things like this happen and there's not much help floating around - especially when it seems a project to sort out too....sorry m8, you must be unlucky with PS3's - it's okay though I'm unlucky with Xbox360's lmao....

thanx for that m8
but it didnt work lmao , never mind it dont really matter to me as its on 1 machine so that will do for me!
thanx again m8

Raven
23rd September, 2009, 12:31 PM
You're welcome - I'm just thinking what should work, especially if you happen to have 2 seperate external hard drives handy, is if you back up the other machine software to a one external drive and then back your stuff up to the other drive minus firmware 3.0 - then format your PS3 totally and then run the update from your external hard drive using the backed up firmware from the other PS3...and then use the other hard drive to restore your stuff....but if you're not fussed or you'd rather not risk it then obviously it's a case of make do without I guess.

That's one thing I don't understand about Sony, they don't treat different territories equally. From certain PS3's regarding updates to the PSN itself you would think they'd keep it equal....still rather that than what M$ is doing - anyone that knows me knows that I can't stand M$ for the way they go about business, personally I believe their attitude and philosophy are counter productive to the industry, and they rip off their customers any chance they get - I mean full price $60 or ?40 quid for Halo ODST which is after all a simple expansion game and not a full game, to charge full whack for an expansion just because it's got Halo on the box that just takes the piss. I hope it doesn't sell but it will because American's and 14 year olds everywhere love Halo.

Halo ODST has twice as many pre orders in America than Uncharted 2 - that tells it's own little story - speaking of Uncharted 2, am I the only one that thinks this is GOTY all over ?