PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem.

The Soulman
29th August, 2009, 05:08 PM
Ok guys, hoping you can help me here, I have successfully flashed the DK 1.1 (Cable) image onto the box using Dreamup / null modem cable. (Very straight forward, no problem whatsoever)

I have scanned for channels and have a full compliment of channels listed / stored.
I can receive all the FTA channels.

Now the problem, when I try to connect to the unit to install the keys etc, I cannot make a connection,
I have tried Flash fxp and Dreambox control centre.
(Using ethernet and patch cable)

I have downloaded the relevant keys and AU fix and simply want to connect the computer directly to the Open Media box and transfer them into the relevant folders from the computer to the box.

I have read the various "How to's" / Guides and am pretty sure I have followed them to the letter, yet I have not managed to establish a connection, what am I doing wrong, am I missing something simple ?
any help would be much appreciated as I have been messing with this all afternoon (4 Hrs) without success,

Thank you and regards,
The Soulman.

Curious123
30th August, 2009, 10:19 AM
Have you read the guide below? I use a free program called Coreftp to copy all my files to my dreambox.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/how-ftp-fix-into-dreambox-noobs-14864/

The Soulman
30th August, 2009, 12:36 PM
Check what IP your router has assigned your OM in the communication set-up.

Use a standard RJ45 patch lead between router and OM.

When your in flashfxp, click on the lightning bar icon, top left under session, then in the server part type in the IP of your OM, then in user name type root and in password type openmedia or in my case dreambox.

JoK

Ok, just for clarity, I have Flashed the unit with the DK 1.1 cable image, no problem.
I have scanned and can receive a full compliment of channels. (FTA working fine)
I have downloaded the relevant AU fix / Keys and put them into a folder on the HDD.
I have connected the laptop and Open Media together by means of a ethernet crossover cable.
The laptop is normally connected to the internet wirelessly via router.
(After downloading the AU fix / Keys, I have disabled this connection to avoid any possible conflictics / complications)

So the laptop is isolated from the internet and I have connected it to the Open Media box with a crossover cable and powered up the box, however the local area connection starts off "Searching for network address" then goes to "Limited or no connectivity", as a result, when I attempt to connect to the box using Flashfxp, Filezilla or Dreambox control centre, I cannot make a connection / communicate with it and therefore am unable to install the AU fix / Keys,

PLEASE, PLEASE, could someone help me with this, I have been messing about with this now, for probably a full day and I'm just about at the point of doing it some damage / giving it a seriously good thrashing,

Thanks in advance,
The Soulman.

The Soulman
30th August, 2009, 01:34 PM
My setup is laptop wireless via router, OM plugged directly to router with standard RJ45 patch lead, no probs setting up the OM.

Why cant you plug OM direct to router?? You will be able to do more with your OM if you have it connected to your router.

JoK

All ports on router are in use, surely I should be able to connect to laptop and OM directly using ethernet crossover cable ?

Regards,
The Soulman.

bigy
30th August, 2009, 03:59 PM
Networking-wise a router and a crossover-cable connection are different.

The default network setup for a PC is to be told its address automatically. When its connected to your router, the router does that job.

The OM box, if it's similar to most other boxes, has a fixed address.

When you connect your OM and laptop with a crossover cable they can't see each other because the PC can't get an address. The usual solution is to temporarily change the PC's network settings to a fixed address in the same range as your OM box.

JoK's suggestion of connecting both to your router will save all this fiddling around. If you want to extend the number of network ports, buy a switch like Maplin's ZF82D.

Finally, make sure the OM Box address is in the right range. If the router's local address is 192.168.1.1, set the OM to 192.168.1.X X must be different from the addresses of all other networked items, and no more than 254.

HTH, bigy.

The Soulman
31st August, 2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks bigy, I've made some progress, instead of changing the computers ip address I've changed the IP address of the box to within my routers ip range and can now log onto / view the box / its contents via the web browser.

The next question is, can I install the AU fix / keys into the relevant folders via the web browser, and if so how ?.
Also if I can perform the install, do I need to install both the AU fix and keys, or just One of the Two,

Thank you and regards,
The Soulman.

bigy
31st August, 2009, 02:16 PM
IIRC you should only have to install the keys.

Simplest is to follow Curious123's earlier suggestion to use Coreftp:

Have you read the guide below? I use a free program called Coreftp to copy all my files to my dreambox.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/how-ftp-fix-into-dreambox-noobs-14864/

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

bigy

The Soulman
31st August, 2009, 03:40 PM
IIRC you should only have to install the keys.

Simplest is to follow Curious123's earlier suggestion to use Coreftp:

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

bigy

Success, after I had changed the ip address of the Open Media I could access it via the web interface.
(Ethernet cable to router / laptop to router wirelessly)
I then opened up Filezilla / site manager / new site, typed in the new ip address of the Open Media box and bingo instant connection, I then followed the relevant tutorials with regard to ftp transfering and am now fully up and running on the cable side.

Also just for info, initially I only installed the AU fix into the VAR /scce folder and the channels did not clear, I went back and then installed the keys into the VAR / keys folder and all channels then became available,

Regards,
The Soulman.