PDA

View Full Version : Vectra brakelight out ?

Saltire
14th July, 2008, 09:46 PM
My mate asked me to see if i could get info for him, he has a vectra sri 2005 model (newer model), one of his brakelight bulbs has went out, there is four brake bulbs, two on either side.

Anyway, one has went out, he bought new bulbs and tried new one and it still didnt work, he even tried taking one of the working bulbs and putting that in the non working socket, but still nothing.

I told him it may be a fuse but at the same time i says it very doubtfull as i would imagine some of the other bulbs would be out too rather than just a single one, plus the fact he says he wouldnt even know where/what to look for if it was the fuse, i think he says theres loads of fuses in that car, i still cant see it being the fuse though, i thought its maybe an electrical fault, but again i thought that would be uncommon with just one bulb, strange one, hmmmm, anyone any ideas ?

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 09:50 PM
brake lights r fuse but there not fused for each side m8 ,, if there was a fuse there will be no brake lights .., l was sure there was only one brake light bulb and two side bulbs ? brake top ans sides lower

Saltire
14th July, 2008, 09:52 PM
brake lights r fuse but there not fused for each side m8 ,, if there was a fuse there will be no brake lights ..

yea thats what i thought too, hmmm, so its gotta be a wiring fault then, eh ?

(it used to work fine)

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 09:57 PM
more likey a bulb holder fault

Saltire
14th July, 2008, 10:05 PM

ohhh, bulb holder.

<--Thomson added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...-->

that would be warranty'd then, wouldnt it ?

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 10:10 PM
all down to when it was registered m8 .. u r sure he knows wot his going ? his not changing the fog light bulb , l say that because that looks like a twin brake light bulb , lm sure on the vauxhall the brakes a single one

Saltire
14th July, 2008, 10:26 PM
all down to when it was registered m8 .. u r sure he knows wot his going ? his not changing the fog light bulb , l say that because that looks like a twin brake light bulb , lm sure on the vauxhall the brakes a single one

nah, its two seperate bulbs on either side, press the brake four bulbs light (well should do,lol), plus the big spolier light too. and its within 3 years old, so i guess still get that fixed under warranty.

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 10:34 PM
The rear brake bulb is shared with one of the 2 tail lights. If the upper bulb goes, then the lower one takes over as the tail / brake light.

Take the rear light clusters out and visually inspect that each bulb is working. Could be that the upper tail /brake bulb has failed and the lower one has taken over.

Bulbs from top to bottom:
Turn signal light
Tail light / brake light
Tail light
Fog tail light (works on drivers side only - this is normal for the UK)
Reversing light

All bulbs are 21 watt.

Saltire
15th July, 2008, 03:33 AM
The rear brake bulb is shared with one of the 2 tail lights. If the upper bulb goes, then the lower one takes over as the tail / brake light.

Take the rear light clusters out and visually inspect that each bulb is working. Could be that the upper tail /brake bulb has failed and the lower one has taken over.

Bulbs from top to bottom:
Turn signal light
Tail light / brake light
Tail light
Fog tail light (works on drivers side only - this is normal for the UK)
Reversing light

All bulbs are 21 watt.

the new bulbs bought are defo the correct one as the dud one was taken to the shop etc to be compared, also has taken the whole light cluster out to inspect and all looks fine, tried new bulb, nuffin, tried working opposite sides bulb in the dodgy socket , nuffin, tests were all done during the day with no tail lights turned on, when pressing break four bulbs should light up, but not that one for some crazy reason.

p.s
its the top one of the two bulbs by the way thats not workin.

p.p.s
says on the onboard computer screen thingy "brake light"

<--Thomson added 291 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...-->

I think he should just take it down to vauxhall as its gotta be covered in the warranty, as far as iam aware the only parts not covered are parts that break due to ware n tear, so i imagine he will be ok.