PDA

View Full Version : DO VIRGIN SEND OUT MODEMS

staggers
30th August, 2009, 12:57 PM
hi guys if this is wrong section i apologise in advance,problem -my dad has a couple of chipped boxes in house and i want to get him broadband from vermin,as he has points allready in house will they just send out modem and i set it up manually or will they send someone to set it up,hoping for the 1st option so as i dont have to hide the above boxes cheers

badapple
30th August, 2009, 01:01 PM
No, they wont just send out the modem, they will send out a engineer to install and activate the modem and account.

beady
30th August, 2009, 03:14 PM
It depends what you ask for. I've just moved back into a cable area, and when I re-signed with virgin I had the option of ?15 for self set up, or ?30 for an engineer. I chose self installation, and they sent over a modem and wireless router in the post. Dead easy to set up (just plug it in), as long as you remember to ring up and activate your account.

staggers
30th August, 2009, 04:34 PM
tx beady thats what i was hoping for, did you just phone and ask for broadband and they gave you this option?,i was hoping they would just ask if i had cable points and then send out modem and router,

beady
31st August, 2009, 10:43 AM
I did it all through the website. If I remember rightly, there was a tick box when I ordered online to say "Self Installation", which saved me ?15.

mes king
31st August, 2009, 01:54 PM
yeah my brother phoned up virgin and they sent him out a router in the post not sure about the modem as i had it set up by the guys when i had virgin broadband installed but im pretty sure they would send 1 in the post.

gizmo.1484
31st August, 2009, 05:37 PM
Just ring Virgin up and tell them that you want broadband at your premises. Also tell them that you have Virgin points already in your premises and the feed is live has you use it to watch analogue TV. Then tell them that you can self install, then they will send you a modem in the post. It should take 2 days to arrive by carrier.
Then all you have to do is plug in then ring them to activate.
They prefer for you to install as it costs them less.
If there is not a live feed comeing into the premises then they will send a engineer to connect you to the green box, so they will need to gain access to your premises.

staggers
31st August, 2009, 05:55 PM
good stuff ,tx all looks like i got the answer i was loking for tx again stags

tubs
31st August, 2009, 07:39 PM
if you have had a install from vm which you have just phone them and tell them what you want and there will send it to you but dont ask for quick delivery it takes the same time as normal but you will hav to pay fo it

Angostar05
1st October, 2009, 06:26 AM
they send enginner if ask them so

TheGodfather
2nd October, 2009, 02:48 AM
They'll prove a "self-install" for any broadband package upto 20mb (50MB requires an engineer)

Also if you don't have a phone line already, be sure you don't "accidently" order the phone line at an extra 11 a month, which alot of people do.

baker boy
2nd October, 2009, 04:33 PM
They do post out the modem too you. They call it 'quick start' I phoned them up the other day and said i was intrested in the broadband as i had the tv but i cant aford to take the day of work and dont get home till late ( dodgy cable boxes ;o) So they posted it out to me with a free router, spliter, cable's, 15 foot ethernet cable. Booted it up and away i went. 10meg. Also as i was with them for over 10 years they give me the 1st 6 months free and ?14 after that. Cant say bad to that, lovely women she was. lol

tjjonesvw
2nd October, 2009, 04:46 PM
hi mate i work for virgin in the newport tech centre if you request bb to be installed they will send someone out as they would need to fit new splitters etc, my best bit of advice is to just leave the chipped box as it is, most engineers (they dont actually work for virgin they are a fibre optic company based in cardiff ) wont say anything as most of them have a chipped box in every room in their house. when they fitted my 20mb at my new house they even give me a bigger splitter and about 30 meters of coaxe wire so i could install my chipped boxes upstairs with a seperate 20mb internet feed. however if cable is already installed in the house and the outside wires are still intact on the outside wall just buy a chipped modem and tv box plug them in as normal and you will recieve free virgin media tv and internet.. :) this is no myth try it, it works the only way they can stop this is by coming out and cutting the fibre line coming into the property

standarren
17th June, 2010, 09:11 PM
hi chaps i've been looking at these chipped cable modems on ebay i currently have a few dboxs set up but thinking of cancelling my virgin account the thing is i havent a clue what i'm doing can anyone pm me i would be more comfortable with someone from this site

cunny
18th June, 2010, 09:05 AM
Talk about fmodified cable modems is not allowed on here, sorry you may want to google 'haynes modem guide'

waqasahmed
9th July, 2010, 11:41 PM
I dont see the point in them any more(unless you can still get 20Mb or more) as a lot of people can only get 10Mb, and even then you dont know how long they will last for, before you have to "sniff" again

Sorry, I read that as 7th July, not 17th June, so sorry for bumping this thread!