PDA

View Full Version : What the best dish and receiver advice????

pidged14
31st August, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi all

I want to get freesat for my Parents, but have no knowledge of what is good and what is sh#t !!! I know you can get kits from Argos, but something tells me the quality isnt going to be top!!! Basically i am looking at spending around ?200-?250 for the lot, and would like it to be reliable and a fit and forget system. The house is in Milton keynes.
Any advice on recommended dishes, receivers LNBs (x2 coax feeds) etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers Darren

westkill
31st August, 2009, 09:47 AM
look here for different kind of recievers
freesat - Products - Product Types (http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=products.Main&PHPSESSID=bm6i0hv5gerop76efdthrpotd2)
a sky dish or similar size will do the job for your area
it can be installed your self
or google a sateliite fitter for your area or they may do a deal for both
or look here for dishes
satellite dish, Dishes, Satellite Boxes Receivers, Other Satellite Cable items at low prices on eBay.co.uk (http://electronics.shop.ebay.co.uk/Satellite-Cable-Freeview-/15069/i.html?_nkw=satellite+dish&_catref=1&_trksid=p3913.c0.m24)

pidged14
31st August, 2009, 09:57 AM
Cheers for that!! i am quite happy to fit myself, so i can save a few pennies there. Just interested to see what peoples views are on whats good and whats not??? When i installed freeview i brought a highgain aerial from homebase, which to be fair is fine, but when i mentioned it on a freeview forum.........christ i thought the funny men would take me away any moment lol

DSS4Free
14th September, 2009, 01:42 AM
I would just recommend getting cable

daithi
9th October, 2009, 11:08 PM
thats a fair bit of dosh for a freeview
keep it cheap its half the fun
yal pick a dish up in anyones house there does be loads lying around or on ebay
eBay.ie: ZONE 2 SATELLITE DISH WITH LNB & ACC. (item 330366630235 end time 11-Oct-09 23:32:33 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.ie/ZONE-2-SATELLITE-DISH-WITH-LNB-ACC_W0QQitemZ330366630235QQcategoryZ29783QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m221QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSKWL %26its%3DK%252BD%26itu%3DUCK%252BMBMS%26otn%3D12%2 6ps%3D61)

and the cable is only a few pence a foot in your local electrical shop
try here for the box

Satellite Receivers?::?Skywonder Ltd (http://www.skywonder.co.uk/home.php?cat=16)

baldeno6
10th October, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hi all

I want to get freesat for my Parents, but have no knowledge of what is good and what is sh#t !!! I know you can get kits from Argos, but something tells me the quality isnt going to be top!!! Basically i am looking at spending around ?200-?250 for the lot, and would like it to be reliable and a fit and forget system. The house is in Milton keynes.
Any advice on recommended dishes, receivers LNBs (x2 coax feeds) etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers Darren

hi m8, if your going to spend a couple of hundred i would suggest you bought a motorised system with a technomate receiver as you will receive all the freesat and loads more foreign channels,your talking about 10,000 plus ranging from sport,movies,kids,documentaries,adult the hardest part of it is the installtion but if you know what you are doing then it shouldnt b a problem,with the technomate you can buy a subbed card for the football they vary from ?50-?150 ,there is plenty 2 watch and if you get a good channel list then you can watch movies etc. although most are in a foreign language you can change the language to english by changing it on the remote its that easy, i have seen the satelitte thing from argos and it is a small dish it would as said only pick up free view channels,so in truth you would get just as much from a freeview box,the bigger the dish the more sats you will find and that means more channels so 4 around ?250 you could have a full motorised dish + receiver + loads of channels:scarf2:

pidged14
10th October, 2009, 10:02 AM
Indeed, i have been looking into that. Sounds promising!!! However i am also looking to get something set up for Mum.............Not too sure if she would appreciate that Adult channels though :roflmao:

riddsy
22nd October, 2009, 07:10 PM
hi just a little heads up really phone sky get them to install sky as this is normally free if you look on there site then just phone them up within 24hrs and cancel the engineer will come to collect the box is ment to do a de install but does not normally have the time so if you hand him the box he is happy and so are you all you need to buy then is the freesat box hope this helps

pidged14
23rd October, 2009, 07:19 AM
lol nice idea!!! Never thought of that one :-)