PDA

View Full Version : DM500 Isolator? Can i Get Rid??

owen7
1st September, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if i can do away with the Isolator and just use a 2 way splitter - reason being i've only got enough coax cable to go from the splitter! i did'nt realise you couldnt connect the Isolator and Splitter together without coax doh!

Like below but no Isolator - feed from wall straight to Splitter then to Modem/Dreambox (thanks for the diagram btw)
http://i44.tinypic.com/wqvgvn.jpg

batman44
1st September, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if i can do away with the Isolator and just use a 2 way splitter - reason being i've only got enough coax cable to go from the splitter! i did'nt realise you couldnt connect the Isolator and Splitter together without coax doh!

Like below but no Isolator - feed from wall straight to Splitter then to Modem/Dreambox (thanks for the diagram btw)
http://i44.tinypic.com/wqvgvn.jpg

You could but then you would have no tinternet, the isolator splits the frequencies for tv and internet. If you look on the isolator it will say data seperator.

Paulieb
1st September, 2009, 03:00 PM
You could but then you would have no tinternet, the isolator splits the frequencies for tv and internet. If you look on the isolator it will say data seperator.

This is not the case in Herts and beds or London the Isolator only protects your equipment if lighting hits the cable or a power surge, and visa versa protects the network from dodgey user equipment.

However they used to split the FM signal, but it could be different in batman's area.

Where are you from?

ss0000
1st September, 2009, 03:26 PM
With or without isolator = the same feed regardless of using for internet or tv. As paulieb pointed out it is just a precaution to protect from a power surge. My parents house have tv and internet, no isolator installed just a splitter. It is also the same at a mates house. Most probably depends on your area if its more likely to have power surge or struck by lightning.

owen7
1st September, 2009, 08:55 PM
Cheers guys for now confusing me, it don't take much lol

I'll give it a try and see what happens!

gizmo.1484
1st September, 2009, 09:00 PM
Cheers guys for now confusing me, it don't take much lol

I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Just take it off and see what happens then you will know.